This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ask Rym and Scott

edited October 2006 in GeekNights
Rym and Scott have thrown down the gauntlet. If we ask enough decent questions, they will do another ask Rym and Scott show.

So what are your questions?

Comments

• I'm not sure they answered all of them from the last thread...
  • How do you drive 100 mph on the highway without getting caught? Also, if you get caught, how do you mitigate things so you don't get arrested?
  • Actually, we're planning on doing two of these shows in the future: the standard "ask us anything" show, and something along the lines of "Ask Layman Penn," where people can ask our (probably not very) expert opinions on whatever topics they like.

Thaed: I think I could do a whole show on that, especially considering I maxed out twice on the way to work this morning and I still have zero tickets on my record... ^_~

• Thaed: I think I could do a whole show on that, especially considering I maxed out twice on the way to work this morning and I still have zero tickets on my record... ^_~
    I would be very interested in this. I get at least one ticket a year, so I try to keep things around 75 mph.

Note also that most tires are only rated to 85 mph. Please be careful, Rym.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    Note also that most tires are only rated to 85 mph. Please be careful, Rym.
    Actually, most tires sold and used in the US are S-rated, with a maximum safe speed of around 112mph.

I currently have S-rated tires. The tires on my old car were H-rated.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have three questions.

1.) Rym, why are you constantly a dick to Scott?
    2.) What do you think of evolution in general?
    3.) What are your opinions on the Playstation 2 and the Xbox 360?
  • 1.) Rym, why are you constantly a dick to Scott?
    Scott's an equal dick to me. In fact, as anyone in the Front Row Crew can tell you, Scott is more often on the giving end of a dicking than the receiving end.
    2.) What do you think of evolution in general?
    Umm... It's a sound scientific theory with a solid basis in fact? There's really nothing more to be said about that.
  • Stories of good pranks at RIT perhaps?
  • I have a Scott question...

What are the three greatest comic book storylines of all time?
  • What is the company takeover or partnership you want to see most and why?
  • edited October 2006
    A question...hmm.....how about........................

Say one good thing about something that you absolutely hate.

Okay, fine, it's not really a question.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • Rym: Do you think that people would change their minds about your "picking on Scott" if they actually spent time with Scott?
  • In fact, as anyone in the Front Row Crew can tell you, Scott is more often on the giving end of a dicking than the receiving end.
    Also: You know how I know you're gay.
  • edited October 2006
    Why do you suck so much...
    (joke)
    Post edited by blast flame on
  • Why do you suck so much...
    (joke)
    (not funny)

/You were thinking it too
    //Smartass
  • I was listening to Penn Jillette this week, and he said he wouldn't have any religious friends. Do you have any, and do you think you could? Is religion a viable litmus test for friendship?
  • I was listening to Penn Jillette this week, and he said he wouldn't have any religious friends.
    That sounds bigoted to me.
  • edited October 2006
    I was listening to Penn Jillette this week, and he said he wouldn't have any religious friends.
    That sounds bigoted to me.
    Uh-oh here come the thought police.

Yeah, so, I would say he is not a bigoted mostly because he isn't prejudice. Penn has logically and rationally developed an opposition to the views and motivations of the pious. There isn't anything wrong with that, in fact I commend him.

People believe a lot of stupid things, as a matter of fact, people mostly believe stupid things . . . could you imagine a world were we would have to pay lip-service to everyone's "opinions" and effing respect them? Count me out. This is why we laugh at homeopathists; religion is one degree of difference (not in kind) for most of the learned out there. I do believe we have been over this elsewhere . . . in other threads.

Also, Penn is (currently) in the business of pointing out irrational people and their behavior(s); who's actions, he, rightfully views as ridiculous, damaging and dangerous to themselves and everyone else. How the hell do you expect him to make friends with the people who he is ideologically opposed to and then wears it on his sleeve?! And why would he want to?
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • edited October 2006
    Uh-oh here come the thought police.
    I take it that you are referring to Penn?
    Yeah, so, I would say he is not a bigoted mostly because he isn't prejudice.
    Surely you understand that there is a difference between the two words. You don't have to be prejudiced to be bigoted. Thus, you are using a logical fallacy. The simple truth is that anyone who makes such an absolute statement is exhibiting signs of bigotry. He's got the right to chose his own friends - I'm just pointing out that he appears to be doing it in a bigoted manner.
    A mature, well adjusted person has no problem doing that. No one aspect should be a litmus test. It should be based on the entire person. Penn's position is bigoted. You can argue whether or not it is the right position, but unless you want to rewrite the dictionary, you can't dispute that it is bigoted.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited October 2006
    Okay... if you are comfortable talking about masturbation, then you should have no problem talking about this:
    I'd like to know when the last time Scott has known copulated with a woman. My guess is:
    1) Never: 34%
    2) More than 18 months ago: 60%
    3) Within the past 18 months: 6%
  • Pleasures of a woman? I think you need to be more explicit, because I don't know what you mean. Is it something having to do with their bajingos?
  • You can argue whether or not it is therightposition, but unless you want to rewrite the dictionary, you can't dispute that it isbigoted.
    Sorry, you lose this one. Check out the definitions of bigot. There are a lot of different ones, but they all have one common trait. They all include the word intolerant. If Penn is anything in the world, he is tolerant. It's really hard to be a anarcho-capitalist who always errs on the side of freedom while simultaneously being intolerant. And a super-freedom nut is what he is above all else. See, tolerating something doesn't mean you have to accept, enjoy and love it. It just means you have to allow it. You can tolerate religious people while not liking or befriending them, but you can't tolerate them and also be bigoted towards them.

Looks like you'll have to find another adjective to describe people who will not befriend the religious.
  • edited October 2006
    What Scott said.

Also . . .
    Yeah, so, I would say he is not a bigoted mostly because he isn't prejudice.
    Surely you understand that there is a difference between the two words. You don't have to be prejudiced to be bigoted. Thus, you are using a logical fallacy. The simple truth is that anyone who makes such an absolute statement is exhibiting signs of bigotry. He's got the right to chose his own friends - I'm just pointing out that he appears to be doing it in a bigoted manner.
    look at the two defintions side by side:

bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

prejudice: 2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

Bigotry is holding to prejudice beliefs. You have to have a prejudice belief before you can be a bigot, otherwise you are just an idiot--in the truest sense of the word.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • i think this is getting kinda off topic... the topic i think is "ask rym and scott" I could be wrong though ^_^ I've been that before :-p
  • edited October 2006
    Someone who has a general rule that excludes friends based soley on their spiritual beliefs is not tolerant.

I agree, this is getting off-topic. Oh please, oh please... someone start a new thread. I've got plenty more to say!
  • By the way... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the price of anime. AWO had a great discussion on this subject. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.
  • edited October 2006
    Hey, I was working on listening to your podcasts, and you metioned something about a logo. Are you still looking for one? If you have metioned that you have picked one, I'm not all the way through yet, so... Yah, I really enjoy your podcast!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    Go for it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    So, I know you guys went to RIT. By any chance, do you know if there are the art/photography departments is there?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    I'm a student (both former and current) of the RIT College of Imaging Arts and Sciences: what would you like to know?
    Post edited by Rym on