This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sonic The Hedgehog on Wii's Virtual Console

Browsing the Wii shop channel I noticed that they have Sonic The Hedgehog, both Master System and Genesis versions. I'd really like to play the original Sonic again, but I'm kind of confused. Is there a difference between to two versions? I don't really want to spend the extra 300 points if there isn't much of a change. I understand the the old Master System was 8-bit, and the Genesis was 16-bit, but is it just a port? Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• No, I've played both. The genesis version is far superior, get that one.
  • Don't buy any Sonic the Hedgehog games on the VC. I repeat, do not buy any Sonic games on the VC. It is a crazy rip-off. Instead buy this for the GameCube. It has every old school Sonic game, and is the same price as two Sonic games on the VC.
  • The same goes for Mega Man and Mega Man X. There are lots of other retro game collections for the GameCube, GBA, and DS out there, and they are almost always cheaper than the VC. Only get the VC version if you have no other option.
  • Nice bargain hunting, Scott.
  • Yea, both versions are different, although if you fancy playing a 2D sonic game that you've not played before then the Master System version is worth a look at. Also the Game Gear's versions of Sonic and Sonic 2 are quite different also. I've fond memories of flying through a storm on a hang glider at one point. But otherwise, stick to the Mega Drive's versions on the Sonic Mega Collection.
  • But I buy games on the virtual console so I don't have to go bargain hunting! I just want them to work!

Another topic:

My brother is visiting, and back in the day he could run through Super Mario Brothers in about 6 minutes. So we put on a two player game of the same game on the virtual console, and I die a lot and he completes the game with 5 lives spare. Turns out muscle memory is still there after 14 or 15 years of not playing the game. I'D not completed the game on the virtual console yet. But now it is stuck on the hard version, with all the goombas replaced with the bob proof guys and everything speeded up. Is there a way to change it back to the original difficulty level for so I stand a chance of completing it myself?
  • But now it is stuck on the hard version, with all the goombas replaced with the bob proof guys and everything speeded up. Is there a way to change it back to the original difficulty level for so I stand a chance of completing it myself?
    Press home and then press reset.
    But I buy games on the virtual console so I don't have to go bargain hunting! I just want them to work!
    We're not talking about hacks or emulator here. We're talking about GameCube games. They just work.
  • Press home and then press reset.
    We tried this. It say "You'll lose any non-saved data" or similar, but it is still on the +1 mode when we checked back.
    We're not talking about hacks or emulator here. We're talking about GameCube games. They just work.
    Oh, ok. Maybe I'll get some GameCube controllers.
  • We're not talking about hacks or emulator here. We're talking about GameCube games. They just work.
    Oh, ok. Maybe I'll get some GameCube controllers.
    Yea, well worth it. There's some great 'cube games out there and you can pick them up real cheap. Avoid the Wii's "classic" controller, it's not that great really.
  • Yea, well worth it. There's some great 'cube games out there and you can pick them up real cheap. Avoid the Wii's "classic" controller, it's not that great really.
    I use the Classic controller a lot, actually. I find it to be a bit more comfortable than the Gamecube controllers in my hands and, besides the ZR and ZL buttons, I really like the button placements.
  • Don't buy any Sonic the Hedgehog games on the VC. I repeat, do not buy any Sonic games on the VC. It is a crazy rip-off. Insteadbuy thisfor the GameCube. It has every old school Sonic game, and is the same price as two Sonic games on the VC.
    Thanks for the tip. I picked up the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for $10CND not to long ago.
  • MMAC's only flaw is that you have to play the games chronologically, and everyone knows Mega Man 1 is hard as balls.
  • MMAC's only flaw is that you have to play the games chronologically, and everyone knows Mega Man 1 is hard as balls.
    Uhhhhh, no you don't. The first 8 games are unlocked at open.
  • Heh, I'm playing Megaman 1 right now (on an emulator, but w/o saving state). God damn the Yellow Devil!
  • Heh, I'm playing Megaman 1 right now (on an emulator, but w/o saving state). God damn the Yellow Devil!
    The yellow guy is the hardest part of the game. IIRC there is a glitch you can use to beat him, but it is possible to beat him legitimately. I've done it at least a few times.
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, I did it a bit later. It took me quite a few lives to get the dodging down though.

The last area is a bitch. Damn that rush through Bombman, Fireman, Iceman and Gutsman, and not even any health before Dr Wily. Well, it's only really Fireman that hurts, his attacks are such a bitch to dodge :S

EDIT: WIN!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • EDIT: WIN!
    Well, every other Mega Man game will be easy for you until Mega Man 9. So 8x win!
  • Since I was playing Mega Man II on Hard, I didn't get the pleasure of killing Metal Man with one shot of his own weapon (it took 2). A real pity.
  • Since I was playing Mega Man II on Hard, I didn't get the pleasure of killing Metal Man with one shot of his own weapon (it took 2). A real pity.
    FYI there was no difficulty select option in the Japanese version of Mega Man 2. The so-called "hard" mode was the only mode. Only in the US did they add the much easier normal mode.
  • Yeah, I'd heard that, and I know that's how it was meant to be.
    But as I was playing Mega Man 1, I was thinking "Wouldn't it be hilarious if one of the Robot Masters' weaknesses was their own weapon", and, well, seeing it happen in Mega Man II was awesome. It just would've been more awesome if it had been one shot, proper or not.