This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Return of MTV

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
I don't know if this is new, or not, but I just discovered it. Apparently MTV has almost every music video they've ever aired on their web site. You can just watch them for free, like YouTube. Things are starting to get crazy go nuts. I think people and companies are starting to take to heart the idea that in an economic downturn you have to build value. I am ever more confident that these temporary troubles will turn out for the best when the dust is settled.

Comments

• I don't know if this is new, or not, but I just discovered it. Apparently MTV has almost every music video they've ever aired on their web site. You can just watch them for free, like YouTube. Things are starting to get crazy go nuts. I think people and companies are starting to take to heart the idea that in an economic downturn you have to build value. I am ever more confident that these temporary troubles will turn out for the best when the dust is settled.
    That has been available for years. Your theory is interesting, but this specific example is not a reflection of the recent downturn.
  • If it's been available for yeas why is it news today?
  • If it's been available for yeaswhy is it news today?
    Apparently they expanded their library. It was already fairly large, apparently it is now immense. I just know that I have been watching videos on MTV.com for years and never come across one that wasn't available if it had been played on the network. They need to have some place for you to watch videos, since they don't show them on the network anymore.
  • They need to have some place for you to watch videos, since they don't show them on the network anymore.
    It's funny. I'm about the same age as MTV. However, for most of my life, people always have talked about how MTV doesn't show videos anymore. Well, we're beyond that now. We're at the point where MTV hasn't shown videos for most of its existence.
  • They need to have some place for you to watch videos, since they don't show them on the network anymore.
    It's funny. I'm about the same age as MTV. However, for most of my life, people always have talked about how MTV doesn't show videos anymore. Well, we're beyond that now. We're at the point where MTV hasn't shown videos for most of its existence.
    It shifted to showing fewer and fewer music videos gradually until the mid-to-late nineties. Then they introduced MTV2 which was supposed to give you more videos, but I never lived in a place that had that channel available. It is odd that they even call themselves MTV. How much of their programing is even music related, let alone actual music videos?
  • I remember when MTV only showed videos. It was a huge time sink. If you happened to see a good one, then you sat through a bad one hoping that another good one would come on. If you weren't careful, you could watch for an hour and not even realize how much time had gone by.

The good thing, though, was that whenever you wanted to watch TV, you could count on there being some kind of wacky video on MTV.

Lots of people used to just keep MTV on as background, like a radio. I went to lots of parties that had at least one TV that stayed on MTV.
  • edited October 2008
    I remember when MTV only showed videos. It was a huge time sink. If you happened to see a good one, then you sat through a bad one hoping that another good one would come on. If you weren't careful, you could watch for an hour and not even realize how much time had gone by.

The good thing, though, was that whenever you wanted to watch TV, you could count on there being some kind of wacky video on MTV.

Lots of people used to just keep MTV on as background, like a radio. I went to lots of parties that had at least one TV that stayed on MTV.
    When I was young MTV already started not showing videos as much so we'd turn on The Box. It was a channel where all they showed was videos and you could call in to get the one you wanted shown. Good if you want to record them or listen to your favorite song. MTV bought it and made it MTV2. Argh.
    Post edited by Viga on
    It shifted to showing fewer and fewer music videos gradually until the mid-to-late nineties. Then they introduced MTV2 which was supposed to give you more videos, but I never lived in a place that had that channel available. It is odd that they even call themselves MTV. How much of their programing is even music related, let alone actual music videos?
    MTV2 doesn't even really show videos anymore. There are video blocks now, but the channel is also suffused with shitty MTV programming.
  • I miss old skool MTV. I lived through the period of MTV being music television to the current TRL crap. They did have some good shows: MTV Oddities, Liquid Television, and Headbangers Ball. I think if MTV wanted to make a comeback, they should just play music videos all day long. Everyone's head would explode.
  • I like VH1 Classic.
  • I thought you were going to say that there was actually music on MTV again.
  • I thought you were going to say that there was actually music on MTV again.
    Me too. Oh well, I'm going to go look for some Dream Theater music videos.
  • Then they introduced MTV2 which was supposed to give you more videos, but I never lived in a place that had that channel available. It is odd that they even call themselves MTV
    I used to work in an office that had MTV2 on all day on a bunch of monitors suspended from the ceiling. In the early days, they actually did play all videos, and some pretty interesting stuff, too. Once, I remember seeing Black Flag followed directly by Front Line Assembly.