This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shake your keyboard!

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Shake your keyboard, and see what comes out of it! I bet none of you can defeat the nastiness of my computer.
How nasty is your keyboard?

Comments

• I clean mine out regularly, so it never gets that nasty.

You need to buy a new keyboard.
  • Holy generic deity; I think some of that crap is alive! I swear, the shit on the 9 key winked at me!
  • edited October 2008
    My keyboard is pretty old, I would say at least 3-4 years. I wouldn't have gotten the current one if I hadn't spilled water on my previous keyboard. It was too dark for the camera to see but if I look underneath the keys, it's much more nasty and dirty. However, it works and I still haven't gotten E. coli or tuberculosis from it yet.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Duuuude...I have a 6-year-old keyboard that I only replaced recently with a wireless one. It is nowhere NEAR that gross. Of course, I don't spill shit on my keyboard when I eat by my computer, so that probably helps. Though it is dusty...need to restock my compressed air.
  • What the hell are you doing to that poor thing, Joe? That's the nastiest keyboard I've ever seen! But come to think of it, I bet there's someone out there with moss, dirt, fungus, and little trees growing out of their keyboard. As for mine, all that came out was a few bagel crumbs and some bagel sesame seeds. Yummy.
  • Here's an interesting tidbit. People may know I use the happy hacking keyboard at home and work. It's not appropriate for most people, but if you spend most of your time in vim, and hit ctrl more than any other key, then it is worth it.

Anyway, the HHK is interesting in the way it is constructed. Most keyboards today work via membrane technology as opposed to spring. There is a sheet of rubber bumps with metal contacts in the underside of the bump. The keys push down on the bumps which then make contact with the circuit board beneath. On most such keyboards, if you remove a key, the membrane will be exposed. On the happy hacking keyboard all the keys rest in a key tray. The keys and the key tray form a complete seal around the circuit board and membrane. Nothing can actually get into the important part of the keyboard unless you open it up.

Many people say that you can clean keyboards in the dishwasher, and indeed you can. However, there are some keyboards you can not do it with. There's no way to know until you try. With the HHK you just put the key tray in the dishwasher, and you do not have to worry in the slightest. It's more expensive than other keyboards, but it will last your entire life.
  • How could someone let their keyboard get that gross. I hope you wash your hands a lot.
  • I've got a keyboard that's more than 10 years old. It is VERY dirty.
    They aren't that expensive, and are easy to keep clean. Just buy a new one and keep it clean. I wonder if you would let your plates, forks, hands, or sink get that dirty and not do something about it.
  • How nasty is your keyboard?
    You sir, are filthy. I thought I had a dirty keyboard. I have the same keyboard as you, only mine is 6 or 7 years old and while I do have some minor smudges on a few keys, they are not that filthy. Also, nothing came out of shaking my keyboard. You sir, are gross.
  • My keyboards are generally pretty clean (except for animal hair). I tend to not eat near them.
  • It's much worse when your primary computer is a laptop. In my experience, taking laptop keys off to be washed can break the small clips that hold them in place which causes all kinds of problems.
  • I pop off my keys every few months, soak them in hot water and soap, and scrub. During the soak, I clean the inside of the keyboard with compressed air.
  • ..It's been a while since I last cleaned my keyboard. I should do that. Thanks for reminding me, joe boomer's grodalated keyboard.
  • My keyboards are generally pretty clean (except for animal hair). I tend to not eat near them.
    I feel your pain. My kitties love the warmness of the laptop. My orange tabby also uses the bleeping noise to wake me up in the morning. My cat is an asshole.
  • edited October 2008
    My cat is an asshole.
    I know how that is. My cat normally doesn't lay on the laptop, but he has, on multiple occasions, stepped on the laptop (while open, so all over the keyboard...<_<) when walking from point a to point b. My cat also likes using the laptop as a scratch post.

Other than that, it's clean. I try not to eat near it and my hands are usually clean. I've had this laptop for around a year and the keyboard looks about as good as new.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • *cleans keyboard with compressed air*

Also...WAS THAT A TOE NAIL! HOW!
    They aren't that expensive, and are easy to keep clean. Just buy a new one and keep it clean. I wonder if you would let your plates, forks, hands, or sink get that dirty and not do something about it.
    Why waste money on a new keyboard? The only drawback to a dirty keyboard is aesthetic.
  • edited October 2008
    The only drawback to a dirty keyboard is aesthetic nasty germs.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • The only drawback to a dirty keyboard isaestheticnasty germs.
    Keyboards have nasty germs no matter what. Cleaning won't help much.
  • The only drawback to a dirty keyboard isaestheticnasty germs.
    Keyboards have nasty germs no matter what. Cleaning won't help much.
    Okay then...
    The only drawback to a dirty keyboard isaestheticnasty germs visible grime..
  • But then you don't get that vintage flavour.
    Wait, who is licking their keyboards? I know I'm not, and I don't ever want to do that.
    Wait, who is licking their keyboards? I know I'm not, and I don't ever want to do that.
    That explains the filth!
  • Viga- Visible grime = aesthetics

But yeah, I agree on not wasting money on a new keyboard unless it's so dirty and nasty that it doesn't function all that well (i.e. keys sticking, keys not working, obvious shit like that...).
  • x3 I should do that to the one at work. It's disgusting looking - the keys are white only where fingers hit them a lot. I've been considering washing it, but it's a lotta work... It doesn't overly matter though because everyone uses it - the employees, customers, and more.
  • Viga- Visible grime = aesthetics But yeah, I agree on not wasting money on a new keyboard unless it's so dirty and nasty that it doesn't function all that well (i.e. keys sticking, keys not working, obvious shit like that...).
    If he had kept it clean from the beginning, there would be no need to buy a new one. Also, that sticky dirt and food particles maintain a higher germ count, whereas cleaning and removing them limits that germ count. This is more than aesthetics when food, drink, and moisture are involved.