This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Polio spreading thanks to anti-vaccination crowd

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Polio Spreading

Not in the article, but my recollection is that these are not the normal "anti-vaccination due to autism" crowd, but the "anti-vaccination due to secret evil Western sterilization plans" crowd.

So there's three things going on here.
1) Thinking that the kids would have autism due to vaccinations.
2) Thinking that the kids would be sterilized due to vaccinations.
3) In Africa, guaranteeing the kids would be crippled or killed due to no vaccinations.

Comments

• My grandmother had polio and nearly died when she was young. She was one of the few that survived and of the fewer that has made it past 80. Some people freak out over incredibly small statistical chances of illness, injury, and death associated with vaccinations - yet they ignore the much higher risks they create for their children and for society at large when they do not vaccinate their children. If my child was one of the flukes that died from a vaccination, of course I will be devastated, but no half so much if they contracted and spread a lethal or crippling disease that I could have prevented.
  • edited October 2008
    Goddamnit. When will mothers realize that mercury causes autism when it attacks kids in utero because they consume it with fish during pregnancy, instead of pinning it on the ultra-small amount of mercury in vaccine preservatives? I mean, I guess that's not the point here, but it was discussed in my bio class today. As far as "sterilization conspiracies" go, I would say that anyone who buys into that crock should accept the consequences, because that's the ultimate in ignorance, especially when the US uses the EXACT SAME vaccines.

Seriously, if your kid gets a disease because you thought that you knew better than medical science, you have failed as a parent.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Goddamnit. When will mothers realize that mercury causes autism when it attacks kids in utero because they consume it with fish during pregnancy, instead of pinning it on the ultra-small amount of mercury in vaccine preservatives? I mean, I guess that's not the point here, but it was discussed in my bio class today. As far as "sterilization conspiracies" go, I would say that anyone who buys into that crock should accept the consequences, because that's the ultimate in ignorance, especially when the US uses the EXACT SAME vaccines.

Seriously, if your kid gets a disease because you thought that you knew better than medical science, you have failed as a parent.
    I thought autism had genetic causes... I will do some research, but anyone that knows anything about autism might want to get in on this.
  • Goddamnit. When will mothers realize that mercury causes autism when it attacks kids in utero because they consume it with fish during pregnancy,
    Then explain why autism is prevalent in non-fish-eating countries, any why Japan does not have higher rates of autism than other industrialized nations? Why are you so sure it's mercury? Do you have a source of any kind to back that up? If you do, you'll likely be memorialized as a hero for having single-handedly solved one of the modern mysteries of medicine.
  • I thought autism had genetic causes... I will do some research, but anyone that knows anything about autism might want to get in on this.
    You would be correct, but the exact genes have not been located to my knowledge, though I remembered reading a study that the more "Intelligent" the parents the higher chance of autism but take that with a grain of salt.
  • edited October 2008
    I thought Polio was destroyed when the vaccinated the whole world? How is it coming back?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Read up a bit.
  • edited October 2008
    I just did. Apparently, there are 3 types, and they killed type 2.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I thought polo was destroyed when the vaccinated the whole world? How is it coming back?
    Don't tell the horses that!
  • Goddamnit. When will mothers realize that mercury causes autism when it attacks kids in utero because they consume it with fish during pregnancy, instead of pinning it on the ultra-small amount of mercury in vaccine preservatives?
    Mercury hasn't been in childhood vaccinations since 2001.
    As far as "sterilization conspiracies" go, I would say that anyone who buys into that crock should accept the consequences,
    Unfortunately, it's the kids who have to deal with them.
  • According to my wife, who has a master's degree in special education:

Autism is a catch-all classification for many disorders. You cannot say autism has a cause. It has many differentiated causes, depending on what type you may have.

• Autism is a catch-all classification for many disorders. You cannot say autism has a cause. It has many differentiated causes, depending on what type you may have.
    QFT. Very similar to Fibromyalgia. No specific cause because the symptoms are not yet attributed to anything definite...and different people's symptoms may be caused by different things.
  • edited October 2008
    A few notes:
    Mercury hasn't been in childhood vaccinations since2001.
    I was unaware of this. A few months ago I was told by a doctor that thiomersal was still in use.
    Goddamnit. When will mothers realize that mercury causes autism when it attacks kids in utero because they consume it with fish during pregnancy,
    Then explain why autism is prevalent in non-fish-eating countries, any why Japan does not have higher rates of autism than other industrialized nations? Why are you so sure it's mercury? Do you have a source of any kind to back that up? If you do, you'll likely be memorialized as a hero for having single-handedly solved one of the modern mysteries of medicine.
    Alright, perhaps I shouldn't have said autism; the topic being discussed was brain tissue damage as a result of in utero fetal mercury poisoning due to biomagnification and not necessarily autism. My mind just jumped to autism because that so-called tie is always in the news. Better?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • This is just sad. My maternal grandfather was an ardent supporter of the March of Dimes, and I'm sure he's rolling around in his grave. What happened to keeping our kids safe? Do we now trust anyone with a lab coat?
  • QFT. Very similar to Fibromyalgia. No specific cause because the symptoms are not yet attributed to anything definite...and different people's symptoms may be caused by different things.
    Isn't fybromialgia the disease that doesn't really exist? Or what is just another synonym for hypochondria?
  • QFT. Very similar to Fibromyalgia. No specific cause because the symptoms are not yet attributed to anything definite...and different people's symptoms may be caused by different things.
    Isn't fybromialgia the disease that doesn't really exist? Or what is just another synonym for hypochondria?
    Skeptic's Guide talked about it. Basically, it's so general, you could legitimately say that any muscle pain is fibromialgia.
  • I thoughtPoliowas destroyed when the vaccinated the whole world? How is it coming back?
    Simple answer is that they didn't vaccinate the world. Close, but no cigar. There's a batch of people in Africa that aren't vaccinated. It's spreading from there.
  • Stupid Africa, I think I need to get a polio vaccination now.
  • edited October 2008
    Skeptic's Guide talked about it. Basically, it's so general, you could legitimately say that any muscle pain is fibromialgia.
    Sort of. It's basically a term for unexplained, chronic pain. I have a friend who was diagnosed with debilitating Fibromyalgia...he was constantly in so much pain he couldn't function, and they had no friggin clue what caused it. Then someone got the bright idea to do a sleep study. Turns out he was a programmer, and after years of constant coding his brain was coding while he tried to sleep. Thus he was not actually sleeping in the cyclical sense...just dozing when he thought he was sleeping. This lack of sleep was causing the pain. He switched careers and it went away. This is a classic example of the way Fibromyalgia and Autism work...they name the group of symptoms until they can find an actual cause. It doesn't mean the symptoms aren't real...it just means the diagnosis is not of a specific disease. Instead it is a name of a group of symptoms. They are diseases in the same way that paraneoplastic syndrome is a disease...it is actually a (group of) symptom(s) of cancer, which is the causal disease, but the cancer itself is not necessarily immediately apparent as the cause.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Isn't fybromialgia the disease that doesn't really exist? Or what is just another synonym for hypochondria?
    Sort of. It's basically a term for unexplained, chronic pain. I have a friend who was diagnosed with debilitating Fibromyalgia...he was constantly in so much pain he couldn't function, and they had no friggin clue what caused it. Then someone got the bright idea to do a sleep study. Turns out he was a programmer, and after years of constant coding his brain was coding while he tried to sleep. Thus he was not actually sleeping in the cyclical sense...just dozing when he thought he was sleeping. This lack of sleep was causing the pain. He switched careers and it went away. This is a classic example of the way Fibromyalgia and Autism work...they name the group of symptoms until they can find an actual cause. It doesn't mean the symptoms aren't real...it just means the diagnosis is not of a specific disease. Instead it is a name of a group of symptoms. They are diseases in the same way that paraneoplastic syndrome is a disease...it is actually a (group of) symptom(s) of cancer, which is the causal disease, but the cancer itself is not necessarily immediately apparent as the cause.
    That makes sense. It also explains why all the medicines claiming to treat Fibromyalgia are bs.
  • Analgesics and, oddly, anticonvulsants are typically used on Fibromyalgia to varying degrees of success. I was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago and various drugs help somewhat. Thankfully none are addictive narcotics. They're not treating the 'disease' as much as they are alleviating the 'symptom' (chronic pain).

I used to work with someone that had an autistic son and he was blaming vaccinations. Of course, the time that infants are getting certain vaccinations is also the same time that early autistic symptoms arise.
    You didn't get one when you were a baby?!
  • I think everyone here who is a teenager or above got their oral polio vaccine when they were a wee tot. They probably just don't remember.
  • I think everyone here who is a teenager or above got their oral polio vaccine when they were a wee tot. They probably just don't remember.
    I remember mine. It was root beer flavored and they wouldn't let me have another one.
  • edited October 2008
    I definitely don't remember mine. The only vaccinations I remember are the ones from middle school where they shot me with an air gun instead of using a needle. Goddamn, that hurt. I'd much rather be stuck with a needle.
    Analgesics and, oddly, anticonvulsants are typically used on Fibromyalgia to varying degrees of success. I was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago and various drugs help somewhat. Thankfully none are addictive narcotics. They're not treating the 'disease' as much as they are alleviating the 'symptom' (chronic pain).
    Yuck, I'm glad you found something that helps somewhat that isn't addictive. My mom is going through that now, and it really sucks. Unfortunately she usually either has bad reactions to meds or they don't work on her, so it's tough to find something to alleviate the pain. (Her side of the family is highly resistant to pain meds. My dentist hates numbing me because it always takes forever and she has to use the very expensive anesthetic on me.)
    Post edited by Nuri on
    You got your vaccine in drink form? Bah, real kids like I got shots, multiple, on the same day, and then an awesome band aid with a cute animal or something on it. And we went to school the next day showing those band-aids off and bragging that we didn't cry instead of being sick at home! Yes, I was a hardcore kid before my teens. Why the heck does being hardcore become so incredibly hard the older you get? :\
  • Polio is the only oral vaccine that we got. I got plenty more pokes in the arm.

I used to hate shots a lot more than I do now. I would inexplicably faint afterward, even though I wasn't really scared. I have gotten over that because I had to get this series of shots (I think it was the anti-cervical cancer one), a blood test, and get my wisdom teeth out all in a span of a few months. Funny story: I went into get the first HPV vaccine not knowing that it was a series, and after they gave it to me I was lying there, blacking out as usual, but I forced a smile and said "Well, at least that's over with." The nurse looks at me and says, "Good, now only two more to go." And I, completely by accident, exclaimed "OH FUCK!" rather loudly. I promptly apologized, but it was quite embarrassing.
    You didn't get one when you were a baby?!
    I think everyone here who is a teenager or above got their oral polio vaccine when they were a wee tot. They probably just don't remember.
    I remember my dad showing me the scar on his back from his polio vaccine. Since I had no matching scar I thought I didn't have one. This made sense to me cause I thought it was eradicated. Anyway, I think this is one of those "the more you know moments." I need to ask my mom about all the shots I've had just so I know.
  • Every year since they were in high school I've had to get their vaccination record sent to school. The oldest of the two is now in college and it was the same thing. There's a certain level/number of shots you need before you're allowed in. For college it now includes a meningitis vaccine.
  • edited November 2008
    Gedavids, if the scar is in the shoulder to shoulderblade area, it was probably the Smallpox vaccine. As far as I know, the Polio shot doesn't scar.
    Post edited by RedShirt on