This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone Podcasting finally

edited October 2008 in Technology
It's fairly well confirmed. The next iPhone / iPod Touch firmware update will allow podcast synchronization over the air.

It is a time for dancing.

Comments

• This is a big deal.
  • This is a big deal.
    It all depends on how it is positioned in the user interface.
  • It all depends on how it is positioned in the user interface.
    If normal people start to treat podcasts like "portable TiVO for radio," then it's big. If only the nerds have an easy time of it, then podcasting as a medium of distribution will be almost entirely unaffected.
  • edited October 2008
    This makes me happy! I was thinking about jailbreak breaking my new iPhone to get this functionality back, but the constant fear of updates breaking things was holding me back. I had previously been using a jailbroken iTouch.
    Post edited by Cramit on
  • I listen to too many podcasts and my data plan sucks big time. I would burn through my allotted bandwidth. Although I barely listen to some podcast, I have enough episodes that I haven't listened to yet that I well never run out of things to watch or listen. Half of them I would like to listen to but I prioritize on what gives me the most enjoyment or knowledge for my time. I guess I like to hoard podcasts, strangely enough. There needs to be some sort of way of controlling the downloads, considering that downloading 5 geeknights episodes would be my whole data plan.
  • I listen to too many podcasts and my data plan sucks big time. I would burn through my allotted bandwidth. Although I barely listen to some podcast, I have enough episodes that I haven't listened to yet that I well never run out of things to watch or listen. Half of them I would like to listen to but I prioritize on what gives me the most enjoyment or knowledge for my time. I guess I like to hoard podcasts, strangely enough. There needs to be some sort of way of controlling the downloads, considering that downloading 5 geeknights episodes would be my whole data plan.
    First of all, I thought all iPhone had unlimited data plans. If you don't, that's crap. Even so, you can just use wifi. Even though wifi means more geographic restrictions than 3g, at least you don't have to sync with iTunes anymore. That's a huge improvement.
  • We'll have to see how the actual implementation works out. There's nothing in the article saying how it's transferred (could be supported over WiFi only). I'd hate to see how long it would take to download a few 100 meg podcasts over 3G or Edge.
  • This sounds great. Hopefully this will be the push needed for Podcasts to grow into the mainstream market.
  • This could also be streaming only.
  • I would be pretty excited about this if I hadn't stopped listening to podcasts pretty much all together.
  • This is the first step that will force Rym to finish his "How to make a podcast" instructional.
  • If he ever finishes it (complete with his noise filtration algorithms), I'd buy it like *snap* that.
  • It all depends on how it is positioned in the user interface.
    If normal people start to treat podcasts like "portable TiVO for radio," then it's big. If only the nerds have an easy time of it, then podcasting as a medium of distribution will be almost entirely unaffected.
    "Portable TiVO for radio"? Podcasts? I don't entirely get the connection, there.
  • "Portable TiVO for radio"? Podcasts? I don't entirely get the connection, there.
    For most people, time-shifted content means "Tivo." That's the metaphor that they work with in their heads. They only apply this metaphor to television and movies. They like time-shifting, but they don't understand the ramifications enough to be able to readily apply the idea to other media.

To get podcasting to work for the masses, we need to get them to apply the same metaphor to audio content that they do to video. Hence, "Tivo for the radio."
  • Register that domain and start a campaign. ;)
  • This is great news.

For the longest time I have only had a work computer and the ipod touch as my home computer. I hope they go further and make the i-touch/phone an alternative to a laptop.
  • Update: Podcast download size is going to be "initially limited" to 10 MB. There goes GeekNights...

Link
  • edited November 2008
    Update: Podcast download size is going to be "initially limited" to 10 MB.
    Seems kind of strange, since on one of Apple Insiders pictures it shows MacBreak weekly, which is about one and a half hours long. I also doubt that the 10MB cap will count for WiFi.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • So I guess there was a real reason other than Apple is evil.
  • When is the actual update coming out?
    No, apple is still evil. They now have a monopoly on podcasting applications. Shouldn't people be able to choose how they download their podcasts to their iPhones? I see no legitimate reason for apple to block "competing" appications
  • Update: Podcast download size is going to be "initially limited" to 10 MB. There goes GeekNights...
    The 10MB limit is for when you're on the 3G/Edge network. There is no limit when on wireless (from what I understand of it). We won't know for sure though until the 2.2 update comes out. Another feature that is supposed to accompany the 2.2 update is tethering a laptop to the iPhone for wireless use.
    No, apple is still evil. They now have a monopoly on podcasting applications. Shouldn't people be able to choose how they download their podcasts to their iPhones? I see no legitimate reason for apple to block "competing" appications
    Wow apple are so evil, they are in a capitalist market and are trying to make money, as is their responsibility to their stock holders - just terrible -_- They would not be doing their job if they didn't protect their products. Your complaint is against capitalism, not against the company.
  • "Portable TiVO for radio"? Podcasts? I don't entirely get the connection, there.
    For most people, time-shifted content means "Tivo." That's the metaphor that they work with in their heads. They only apply this metaphor to television and movies. They like time-shifting, but they don't understand the ramifications enough to be able to readily apply the idea to other media.

To get podcasting to work for the masses, we need to get them to apply the same metaphor to audio content that they do to video. Hence, "Tivo for the radio."
    Radioshark used that in their ad campaign a while back, what did it do? Made them make a model 2...hey that rhymed!
  • Wow apple are so evil, they are in a capitalist market and are trying to make money, as is their responsibility to their stock holders - just terrible -_- They would not be doing their job if they didn't protect their products. Your complaint is against capitalism, not against the company.
    Do know that their 'product', that being, the iPhone podcast downloading over the air, did not exist when they banned a free piece of software they allowed to be created. They rejected it because it did the same as their not yet existing, unreleased software update. They should've contacted the creator and told him to change the program so that it wouldn't download podcasts over the 3G network, which is a more valid reason than "It does the same as our product!". As if releasing this software update will bring in many new iPhone purchases.
  • The update is supposed to be coming out in 10 days, on the 21st.

Link
  • Wow apple are so evil, they are in a capitalist market and are trying to make money, as is their responsibility to their stock holders - just terrible -_- They would not be doing their job if they didn't protect their products. Your complaint is against capitalism, not against the company.
    First of all Monopolies break capitalism for the consumer. Second of all this is a free program competing against a feature in a free upgrade. How am I complaining about capitalism? I am against apple having complete control over the means of distributing legitimate applications for a device I own. That being said I own a MacBook, iTouch (selling it soon), and an iPhone, and my Wife owns a iPod Nano, and an iMac.
  • iPhone 2.2 Firmware is live, and includes podcasting via iTunes. link
  • iPhone 2.2 Firmware is live, and includes podcasting via iTunes.link
    Downloading now.
  • iPhone 2.2 Firmware is live, and includes podcasting via iTunes.link
    Downloading now.
    Ditto that.