This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Add this to the pile

edited October 2008 in Politics
In case you need more reasons to stop caring about the bullshit that is modern politics, check this out.

Apparently the graphic layout of one state's ballot may have more influence on the election results than any campaigning, issues, or perhaps even name recognition.

Really? Really?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    In case you need more reasons to stop caring about the bullshit that is modern politics,check this out.

Apparently the graphic layout of one state's ballot may have more influence on the election results than any campaigning, issues, or perhaps even name recognition.

Really? Really?
    Yes, that one opinion piece with its limited examples and source material has utterly convinced me that it is only about the structure of the ballot, nothing else at all. C'mon Scott, you can do better.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited October 2008
    Ignore this post.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In a completely unrelated question.. do you listen to Adam Curry's Daily Source Code?
  • Yes, that one opinion piece with its limited examples and source material has utterly convinced me that it isonlyabout the structure of the ballot, nothing else at all. C'mon Scott, you can do better.
    I didn't say it was the only thing. But the fact that it has any significant impact whatsoever is reason enough to lose all faith in the system.
    In a completely unrelated question.. do you listen to Adam Curry's Daily Source Code?
    I listened to it when I started listening to podcasts, but stopped after not too long. Curry is not really the sharpest tool in the shed. Definitely not someone worth listening to so frequently, if at all.
  • Yes, that one opinion piece with its limited examples and source material has utterly convinced me that it isonlyabout the structure of the ballot, nothing else at all. C'mon Scott, you can do better.
    I didn't say it was the only thing. But the fact that it has any significant impact whatsoever is reason enough to lose all faith in the system.
    I think it would take a lot more than what that article presents to consider it "significant" when it comes to most elections.
  • edited October 2008
    Yes, that one opinion piece with its limited examples and source material has utterly convinced me that it isonlyabout the structure of the ballot, nothing else at all. C'mon Scott, you can do better.
    I think it would take a lot more than what that article presents to consider it "significant" when it comes to most elections.
    Oh, I just realized that the article I linked to was some random blog. To make up for that here are the hundreds upon hundreds of redundant stories on Google News. here is the New York Times because the Google News link won't be permanent.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Oh, I just realized that the article I linked to was some random blog. To make up for thathereare the hundreds upon hundreds of redundant stories on Google News.
    These all seem focused on NC. I would be interested to see data or similar findings in other elections and other states.
  • edited October 2008
    Uhm...as a North Carolinian who has voted before and will be voting again:

Confusing structure?? It's a simple 3-column document! If you can read a newspaper, you can read this ballot. If you can't read a newspaper, fuck you, you shouldn't be voting in the first place. The fear that we might "forget" to vote for a presidential candidate because we get confused by the ballot? Ditto if you're dumb enough not to vote for a presidential candidate in a presidential election year. There are people at the polling places whose job it is to answer questions like "Where is the presidential candidate?" if you can't find it.

I have a copy of the sample ballot. It's really, REALLY easy to understand. All you have to do is be able to read English. Or not! They can have someone read it to you! That layout doesn't really make anything change. Many of the polling places are using electronic voting anyway, so this ballot layout isn't even relevant in those places. And get this...some of our places are even using electronic voting with the printed out and verified before submission paper trail that you guys so cleverly suggested.

This article clearly overlooks the fact that if you're too stupid to vote properly, the election is better off without your vote.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Uhm...as a North Carolinian who has voted before and will be voting again:

Confusing structure?? It's a simple 3-column document! If you can read a newspaper, you can read this ballot. If you can't read a newspaper, fuck you, you shouldn't be voting in the first place. The fear that we might "forget" to vote for a presidential candidate because we get confused by the ballot? Ditto if you're dumb enough not to vote for a presidential candidate in a presidential election year. There are people at the polling places whose job it is to answer questions like "Where is the presidential candidate?" if you can't find it.

I have a copy of the sample ballot. It's really, REALLY easy to understand. All you have to do is be able to read English. Or not! They can have someone read it to you! That layout doesn't really make anything change. Many of the polling places are using electronic voting anyway, so this ballot layout isn't even relevant in those places. And get this...some of our places are even using electronic voting with the printed out and verified before submission paper trail that you guys so cleverly suggested.

This article clearly overlooks the fact that if you're too stupid to vote properly, the election is better off without your vote.
    QFT. I've already voted in North Carolina, and it's a stupidly easy ballot. I had to use a paper ballot for the first time , but with the computer version it's a freaking touch screen.
  • Bah, when I had to vote the voting machine had as many columns with buttons as there were parties, give or take a few.
  • Why did we get rid of the lever machines in the first place? Was there a problem with them or was it part of an "add technology and it gets better" campaign?
  • When I went to early vote on Monday, there were people outside who were ready to ambush you and tell you how to fill out the ballot correctly. They are definitely on the ball when it comes to helping stupid people vote.
  • Why did we get rid of the lever machines in the first place? Was there a problem with them or was it part of an "add technology and it gets better" campaign?
    The company that makes and maintains the lever machines has long been out of business. As the machines break, or as we need new voting machines, the lever machines get phased out. Surprisingly enough, every time I have ever voted in person, in NY or CT, I've always had the pleasure of using the classic machines. I expect the same to be true when I vote this year.
  • The brain is a sometimes rather illogical thing. But seriously, though, the aesthetics of anything affect the psychological outcomes of any situation. People think differently under different light bulbs, with different color palettes, in different buildings, with different noise levels, etc., regardless of the decision. For something that minor, with such little mutability, to affect your faith in the system is ridiculous. You would have to lose faith in the human brain to make any kind of decision as well to even form a valid argument.
  • Has any research ever been done to look at the effect polling data has on election turnout? I'd be curious to see what effect poll numbers have on voter turnout when a landslide is predicted. Do some people stay home figuring their votes don't count? Do some supporters stay home figuring the election is 'in the bag' for their guy? Does it all even out?
  • Has any research ever been done to look at the effect polling data has on election turnout? I'd be curious to see what effect poll numbers have on voter turnout when a landslide is predicted. Do some people stay home figuring their votes don't count? Do some supporters stay home figuring the election is 'in the bag' for their guy? Does it all even out?
    Kinda hard to prove when there's only one election day.
  • edited October 2008
    Has any research ever been done to look at the effect polling data has on election turnout? I'd be curious to see what effect poll numbers have on voter turnout when a landslide is predicted. Do some people stay home figuring their votes don't count? Do some supporters stay home figuring the election is 'in the bag' for their guy? Does it all even out?
    Kinda hard to prove when there's only one election day.
    With thousands of races. Races that happen every year.
    Post edited by Master John on