This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Election!

edited November 2008 in Politics
Given as it's now November 4th throughout the (continental) United States, I thought it would be appropriate to start an election thread. Obama so far has won the only precinct to vote, Dixville Notch in New Hampshire, 15 votes to 6. In addition to the Presidential race there's a number of interesting Congressional and state races - for example, Alaska Senate (Ted Stevens), Minnesota Senate (Norm Coleman vs. Al Franken), California Prop 8 (Ban gay marriage).

I have to say, I'm excited. This is finally happening, after two long years of campaigning. We're actually going to get this over with.

Comments

• By the way a lot of people seem to be going on, I hope they're not dissapointed that they still have to go to work and beer doesn't flow from their taps if Obama is elected.
  • In addition to the Presidential race there's a number of interesting Congressional and state races - for example, Alaska Senate (Ted Stevens), Minnesota Senate (Norm Coleman vs. Al Franken), California Prop 8 (Ban gay marriage).
    Don't forget California Prop 1A (high speed rail implementation between San Fran and San Diego). I'm hoping that one gets passed. It might just kickstart a country-wide HSR initiative.
  • Oh mans. I really wish I hadn't registered in NY, because California has a number of important propositions.

If California implemented HSR, we (they) could go off and be their own separate country. Maybe float over to Japan, connect the rail and fiberoptic cables, and have a good ol' time.
  • I unfortunately will not be able to participate in this thread as I will be spending 7am till 8pm working the polls (then watching the vote count) and then partying with a bunch of 60+ people. (why don't young people ever work for local campaigns) :-p
  • They're already reporting huge turnout. That's bad news for republicans.
  • why don't young people ever work for local campaigns
    We have jobs we have to go to.

I'm happy that we are significantly closer to the day when everyone will
  • Remember, republicans are supposed to vote next week. XD
  • I heard that you need to vote at the precinct of your current address. Can Rym vote from his business trip or did he vote early?
  • I unfortunately will not be able to participate in this thread as I will be spending 7am till 8pm working the polls (then watching the vote count) and then partying with a bunch of 60+ people. (why don't young people ever work for local campaigns) :-p
    Cuz we have jobs, and the old people are retired. Or at least more stable in their jobs, so they can easily take the time off. I have 2 vacation days left this year and I'm not using one to volunteer on election day. I stood in line from 6:30 this morning to 8 just to vote. It was still shorter than the early voting lines though.

Also, I have a dentist appointment. It would be difficult to make that if I were working the polls.
    I know a few who do. One can't vote at all so all night and today he was out making sure no one does anything fishy to the election around here. I would but I have to work.
  • I got to the polling place at 6:40 and was done by 7:05 (we opened at 7 am).
  • I voted last Monday.
  • I voted about two weeks back.
  • This site should keep you entertained all day. Beware of Rick Rolls.
    Hi, I'm voting for John McCain, because he is anti-gay-people and he is pro-babies. I love babies and I hate gay people. Also, Obama is black, and John McCain has been here for a long time. He's older than chocolate chip cookies. So I think he knows a little bit more than Barack Obama does, and Palin is definitely hotter than Joe Biden.
  • edited November 2008
    I was listening to one of the clips on that website and I heard "I support Senator John McCain because I am a hentai enthusiast who earns an excess of 250,000 dollars." That made my day.

Oh, and Nineless, I think that the clip you listened to was a joke post judging from the amount of snickering I heard in the background.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    edited November 2008
    I was listening to one of the clips on that website and I heard "I support Senator John McCain because I am a hentai enthusiast who earns an excess of 250,000 dollars." That made my day.

Oh, and Nineless, I think that the clip you listened to was a joke post judging from the amount of snickering I heard in the background.
    I JUST LISTENED TO THAT ONE! I thought "WTF?", rewound, and yes, "hentai enthusiast" was said indeed. McCain supporters are awesome on that site. Also, I know it's a joke, I too heard the laughing and snickering in the background.

EDIT: Wtf?
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm assuming that she is too young. (Under 18) Hence the birthday comment.

• EDIT:Wtf?
    Did she die mid-recording? Because, that's what it sounded like!
  • Even the serious Republican voters are hilarious!
    "I'm voting for John McCain because I do not believe in spreading the wealth; I believe in equal opportunity for everyone".
    Ahem.
  • Who is up for a Skype Chat tonight as we watch the polling results?
  • I heard that you need to vote at the precinct of your current address. Can Rym vote from his business trip or did he vote early?
    Scott, Emily?
    Scott, Emily?
    To be honest, his vote matters very little, if anything. NY is locked in for Obama.
  • TN is gunning for McCain which means my vote is kinda meh.
  • Haha! I'm registered to vote in Fairfax County, VA, quite possibly the most important county this election season. I mailed my absentee ballot next day shipping yesterday. I didn't actually receive it in the mail until yesterday either, which sucks.
  • The NY vote may be locked in, but I woke up at dawn, biked over to the firehouse and cast my vote for Obama!
    Scott, Emily?
    To be honest, his vote matters very little, if anything. NY is locked in for Obama.
    You guys DO realize there's more on the ballot than just the presidential race, right? There are plenty of other races his vote COULD matter for.
  • edited November 2008
    Yeah. I learned all about my state assembly candidates and representatives. Actually, Scott might be interested in some of their policies. Science-based sustainable agriculture and stuff like that. Just don't vote for Lalor. Take my word, vote the democratic line-up on State stuff as well. They all have websites. I like the farmer with the Greek name which I have a hard time spelling.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I was in and out in five minutes this morning. One of the benefits of living in a rural community.
  • I like the farmer with the Greek name which I have a hard time spelling.
    Skartardos I think? Yeah, that's the the state assemblyman race. It's actually the hardest choice. The guy he's running against actually seems to be cool also, even though he's the incumbent. He's one of those old school republicans who was forcing more open government. He busted some heads in Albany and forced secret budget caucuses onto the assembly floor and such. Probably still vote for the greek guy though, or maybe whoever the independence party endorses.

And yeah, Lalor is no good. When I moved to Beacon I looked at the voting record of the representative. Some old lady who was in before John Hall. She voted 100% opposite to the way I would have voted. John Hall did not. Also, John Hall is a cool semi-famous musician.