This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061018 - Death Note Anime

RymRym
edited October 2006 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we preview the Death Note anime. In the news, Goro Miyazaki's Gedo Senki (Tales of Earthsea) is held up by the SciFi channel, and Hayao Miyazaki is the most popular anime director (according to Anime News Network).

Comments

• Rym didn't want anyone to notice, but this is teh 1000th thread on the forums.
  • What happened to the Utena episode?
    If it's your favorite anime series why won't you do an episode about it?
    ((I already have all my damn cheese.))
  • Regarding Utena:

First, it would take at least two episodes to really talk about the show. Second, I would have to spoil the entire series to truly discuss it.
  • Add a spoiler tag.
  • The point is that most of our listeners haven't seen Utena. Doing anything other than a review would preclude the majority of them from listening to the epsiode. ^_~
  • I showed the first episode of Death Note at my university's anime club and it was a big hit, especially among those who hadn't read the manga. My favorite comment of the night was from a girl who said that DN is possibly one of the most amoral things she has ever seen, but then she asked where she could buy the manga. The only complaint I heard is that Light sounds like an evil Tamaki from Ouran High Host Club and that the guys look too "yaoi".
  • I can't wait to see the anime, I've been buying the manga as each issue comes out and from what you guys say it sounds pehnomenal.
  • edited October 2006
    It is a pretty anime, the guys always look too "yaoi". I am also curious if that comment came from a woman or a man - particularly in light of how women are drawn in anime - not that I am getting on a soap box, just an interesting turn of tide if it was a man complaining about men being portrayed in a less realistic, much more physically appealing way for one.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Happy 1000th thread. I give unto you a present that has no substance or vale.
  • So just what is AWO's rule of Gonzo animes?

Anyways, I'm really not surprised that so many people have trouble naming directors. I keep track of who's making what almost exclusivly by remembering what studio is doing things. There's Kyoto Animation, where I've loved everything they've done. There's Studio Bones which often does really cool things (RahXephon) but sometimes does only Ok things (Wolf's Rain). There's Gainax, which tends to go over the top, has a lot of fanservice, and sucks at endings. There's Gonzo which can do really cool things sometimes (Last Exile, Chrono Crusade) but often sucks. I bet that just as many people would recognize studio Ghibli as Miyazaki.
  • From what I hear Gonzo has a bad habit of doing killer animation first episode and then skimping on budget on the following episodes, causing the movement and staging to suffer. I don't know if that is what they are referring too, or not.

(this doesn't always hold true...Last Exile was pretty from start to finish)
  • edited October 2006
    I think Gonzo gets more hate then they really deserve, most of the criticism they get apply to most of the anime studios. We've seen good ol animation quality drop after the first episode on damn near every anime, and the Japanese in general seem to have trouble writing good endings. My major problem with Gonzo is that they seem unable to write a decent plot with their in-house talent, but as long as they works with high quality source material and stick with the manga they seem to do alright. But their original titles start off with so much potantial, great character designs and setups and an interesting premise.. then proceeds to squander all that potential with piss-poor storytelling (Hi Speed Grapher!). It is just frustrating..

Gonzo: Squandered Potential

>>It is a pretty anime, the guys always look too "yaoi". I am also curious if that comment came from a woman or a man - particularly in light of how women are drawn in anime - not that I am getting on a soap box, just an interesting turn of tide if it was a man complaining about men being portrayed in a less realistic, much more physically appealing way for one.

The comment was from a guy who is relatively new to anime, he good hooked through masculine shows such as Hellsing and Berserk so any sort of shoujo and "girly-men" seems to make him uncomfortable. He always leaves before we start our Princess Tutu block, I'm not sure which disturbed him more; the ballet dancing guys or ant eater :p
    Post edited by Kite on
  • Rym didn't want anyone to notice, but this is teh 1000th thread on the forums.
    Because we only celebrate stuff to the power of two 'round these here parts?

The DN guys looking kind of yaoi never even occured to me. I always thought they edged more towards realism than many art styles though that could easily be the extreme use of screentones the mangaka tends to employ... They do look kind of yaoi-y though. Huh. Even without the handcuffs. >_>
  • IMHO the good art in Death Note is all in the backgrounds. So freaking precise, it's like a freaking architect drew that shit. Obata's backgrounds are always like that, even in Hikaru no Go. I like it even more because it is so reminiscent of the backgrounds in Akira and such. Otomo would draw a skyscraper coming down and draw every single window and girder breaking in the appropriate fashion. The character art is really good anime style character art. It's really good, but I don't think it's special. I don't know what artists think, but IMHO if you want to see really special character art look at any of Shirow's other works. Also Sanctuary has great character design.
  • I'm not much of a fan of Shirow's work. I just don't seem to see the awesome that just about anyone else clearly does. It's a mystery.

Hells yes about the backgrounds. The detail that goes into those really adds to it, hot damn. Sometimes I wonder if any of the mangaka on staff were actually trained as architects. However, I think it's the way they use screentones that really pulls the characters and the background together. Without the way Hikaru no Go and Death Note are shaded the characters just look out of place in those backgrounds. Even with the super detailed shading they can look weird, most notably in colour work.

One of the things that annoys me about Obata Takeshi's art, though, is that the characters often look quite similar. Don't get me wrong, the artist is clearly capable of drawing all kinds of different people and does but there is pretty much always this group of characters (mostly younger recurring characters) who all look the same. :| Especially in profile. It got really confusing in Death Note. T_T