This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NaNoWriMo

Comments

• edited November 2008
    I definitely have a few sentences with semicolons so far, with more on the way. Check 'em out.
    "After all, she had been working in that cramped meat freezer for most of the previous day; that had probably just become an element of her dream somehow."

"Predictably, her accuracy was fairly poor; she had taken both judo and archery when she was young, but continued with only judo over the years due to being a naturally terrible shot with a bow and arrow."

"'However, it is recommended that you take active steps to carry out elimination yourself; this will contribute to your elimination score, and it will help to keep the total number of active pilots down as new prisoners are transported to the compound.'"
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited November 2008
    Hehe, actually, no. I've got to choose between a cross-zombie-universezombieexplorer orzombieme repelling thezombieyakuza from myzombieuniversity.zombie
    :D?

@Eryn, awesome, but you forgotzombieSonic! *grins*
    @Nineless: I've never written scary stuff before, so for now I'll stick with what I think I know.
    @Eryn: If you have room, I'd be honored to be in your story, sans nine's zombie fetish.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I definitely have a few sentences with semicolons so far, with more on the way. Check 'em out.
    "After all, she had been working in that cramped meat freezer for most of the previous day; that had probably just become an element of her dream somehow."

"Predictably, her accuracy was fairly poor; she had taken both judo and archery when she was young, but continued with only judo over the years due to being a naturally terrible shot with a bow and arrow."

"'However, it is recommended that you take active steps to carry out elimination yourself; this will contribute to your elimination score, and it will help to keep the total number of active pilots down as new prisoners are transported to the compound.'"
    *<3 semicolons*
  • @Nineless: I've never written scary stuff before, so for now I'll stick with what I think I know.
    Wah? What's so scary about zombies throwing zombies into zombies with zombies?
  • I have some semicolons for you too, Pete!
    "But on this evening, the avenues of Mawarisek were the dominion of dust alone; doors closed and shutters barred, the many-colored peoples shut themselves away instead."

"Catching sight of his happiness, several in attendance stood, wide-eyed, and clapped; it was not long before the entire room was abuzz with chatter and cheering, their sultan’s half-smile imbuing them with an infectious energy."

"Flattery was dangerous in a world where a few whispers could ruin everything a man had built; he had watched it happen to his father."

"He reached up a hand to touch her florid cheek; only an unsettled murmur from the guests and the rustle of samite interrupted Sirig’s movement to accept his touch."
    This is looking so fancy thus far.
  • Saving the Universe Before Lunch: Case Files of the White Rabbit Corporation
    As if the part before the colon wasn't crazy sounding enough.
    Call me crazy if you want, but 14 thousand words in four days means something's going right.
  • Saving the Universe Before Lunch: Case Files of the White Rabbit Corporation
    As if the part before the colon wasn't crazy sounding enough.
    Call me crazy if you want, but 14 thousand words in four days means something's going right.
    *applauds* I said the title was crazy. And I and a friend of mine wish to have confirmation, the White Rabbit in 'White Rabbit Corporation', do you mean the Alice in Wonderland white rabbit? And if so, how the heck do you work with that!
  • I'm behind by almost 2,000 words. Crunch time. >_>
  • Must write instead of playing Fallout 3....
  • Man, you guys are all awesome! First with the flinging shit out of windows, and now with the proper usage of semicolons...

The only thing that could make any of it better is the inclusion of Vikings. A boy can always dream, I suppose...
  • Zombie Vikings off the coast of New Jersey count?
  • Unless all of my professors go nuts and give me A's right now and let me not attend the rest of the semester, there is no way I will complete nanowrimo this year. I'm still gonna try, but I wouldn't expect more than 25,000 words at max.
  • The White Rabbit in 'White Rabbit Corporation', do you mean the Alice in Wonderland white rabbit? And if so, how the heck do you work with that!
    NOTE: The following post is an edit.
    Really. I just was working on a post about using circular time travel logic to keep an awesome name in my story, but my brain finally produced an Alice in Wonderland connection that wasn't a direct rip-off of The Matrix as I was typing, so I scrapped that post and present this instead:

The climax of my story is a cataclysm known as the White Rabbit Virus. It's primary symptom is extremely vivid dreams that eventually become hallucinations as brain functions break down. It gets it's name because the first recorded victim suffered Alice in Wonderland related hallucinations, particularly with seeing a white rabbit everywhere they went.

This still leaves me with the conundrum of why anyone in their right mind would name their company after a disease which pretty much destroyed human civilization, but I'll think of something (said with my fingers crossed).
  • I'm liking that story idea! Bad Ass!
  • I just scared the shit out of myself writing an interrogation scene full of weeping vomiting, and screaming for mercy, all through psychological tourture. I probably shouldn't write at 2 A.M. while listening to death metal and getting hopped up on sugar and caffeine...
  • Man, you guys are all awesome! First with the flinging shit out of windows, and now with the proper usage of semicolons...

The only thing that could make any of it better is the inclusion of Vikings. A boy can always dream, I suppose...
    Don't push your luck too much there, boy. ;)
  • This still leaves me with the conundrum of why anyone in their right mind would name their company after a disease which pretty much destroyed human civilization, but I'll think of something (said with my fingers crossed).
    The founder of that company is GAR. When he got infected with that White Rabbit Virus he just spat it out!
    Man, you guys are all awesome! First with the flinging shit out of windows, and now with the proper usage of semicolons...

Don't push your luck too much there, boy. ;)
    You could throw in an intermission, stage is a theatre, preparation for a Viking musical are in the works... Also, Vikings are the most likely type of human that would defenestrate shit en masse.
    I just scared the shit out of myself writing an interrogation scene full of weeping vomiting, and screaming for mercy, all through psychological tourture. I probably shouldn't write at 2 A.M. while listening to death metal and getting hopped up on sugar and caffeine...
    That's great! You should scare yourself shitless when writing stuff like that. That way it's more likely to scare other readers too, and you knew what was going to happen, sorta. It also means you are a sick and twisted man. *thumbs up* :D
  • My only request is that somebody, at some point in their work, use the word "defenestrate" in a sentence.
    Heh. I already have a character throwing himself out the window in the first paragraph. I'll see what I can do.
    Is he wearing any pants?
  • Vikings are the most likely type of human that would defenestrate shit en masse.
    QFT! HAHA!
  • Vikings are the most likely type of human that would defenestrate shit en masse.
    QFT! HAHA!
    XD Fuckin A!
    QFT! HAHA!
    Sounds like an idea for the Sci-Fi comedy I want to write next year. It's becoming difficult for me not to break into Douglas Adams-esque absurdity all the time, because it would absolutely destroy the mood of the story. :P
  • I think some NaNo Wordles are in order.

• Zombie Vikings off the coast of New Jersey count?
    Close. Perhaps close enough, but I'll have to wait and see.

So, 7 days in. You all should be around 12k words by now, right? How goes it for everyone?
  • lol I have about 200 damn fallout 3, basement building and election :-p
  • I'm at a bit over 10,000, and I can tell that I'm starting to hit a wall. I introduced a character, sent her to Mercury, and then realized that this entire situation is really hard for me to write for.
  • I'm at a bit over 10,000, and I can tell that I'm starting to hit a wall. I introduced a character, sent her to Mercury, and then realized that this entire situation is really hard for me to write for.
    Come up with something contrived. Remember, this about quantity, not quality. Maybe take her though an arc and then kill her off in some way that ties back to your main plot.
    Come up with something contrived. Remember, this about quantity, not quality. Maybe take her though an arc and then kill her off in some way that ties back to your main plot.
    I would, but I get the feeling that if I slog through just a bit more of this, there's some awesome potential on the other side. If I do it right I could have a somewhat-natural transition to where I want to be in 2000 words or less.
    edited November 2008
    in 2000 words or less.
    WRONG! That is wrong! You do not want to hear 'less' when participating in NaNoWriMo. More, more, always more! If it takes 2000 words, great, if it takes 5000 words, awesome, if it takes a total 10K of words, epic.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I was thinking of doing a thing where the author and protagonist are aware of each other outside of the plot of the book; I figure that having little "breaking the fourth wall" segments between the author and the protag would be a good way to eat up words.

Also, I'd write excessively wordy and needlessly convoluted sentences with unnecessary and redundant adjective usage.
  • I was thinking of doing a thing where the author and protagonist are aware of each other outside of the plot of the book; I figure that having little "breaking the fourth wall" segments between the author and the protag would be a good way to eat up words.
    An acquaintance of mine is doing that. His main character 'finds out' that she's in a story because she 'meets the same guy on the public transport every day'. Public transport being Jeeps with long benches. Both these characters go to the same school. So yeah, don't go about it in that pathetic way.