This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu 8.10

edited October 2008 in Technology
It came out today! I won't be able to try it until later when I get home. What are peoples experiences? This is a shorter term release that will be replaced in April by 9.04. 8.04 is an LTS that will still be supported for years to come. I think I'm going to keep using 8.04 on the servers, but maybe move to 8.10 on the laptop (definitely) and maybe the desktop at work if it holds up.

Also, the Ubuntu store has been updated since the last time I saw it. They now have goods at reasonable prices for us who live in the US. I'm thinking about the "I do it with Ubuntu" shirt, and maybe the winter hat.

Comments

• Tried it, didn't seem like anything was different from 8.04.
  • I never really understood the difference between linux versions, especially since Gentoo makes me think of linux more as a compilation of a bunch of programs for each component including the kernel. So what is the difference between linux versions, are they just different scripts and compilation of packages?
  • I never really understood the difference between linux versions, especially since Gentoo makes me think of linux more as a compilation of a bunch of programs for each component including the kernel. So whatisthe difference between linux versions, are they just different scripts and compilation of packages?
    Difference between versions of what? Versions of the kernel? Versions of Ubuntu? Every project has its own separate version system. Ubuntu uses a date-based system. It's 8.10 because it is the October 2008 release. The Linux kernel uses a different version system. 2.6.27.4 is the current stable kernel. That means it is the fourth revision of the 27th kernel in the 2.6 series.

If you ever want to know the difference between versions of an open source program, just look up the changelogs. They will usually list each and every single change that was made between the current and previous versions. Unlike Apple who will update iTunes and tell you they made "bug fixes".
  • Difference between versions of what? Versions of the kernel? Versions of Ubuntu?
    I was talking about the difference between linux version. Like Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. But I guess you answered the question for me by telling me to look at the change logs! I hate how apple doesn't tell you what they fix on the ipod firmware in an ovious place. I don't know what's different till I visit some forums.
  • edited October 2008
    Unlike Apple who will update iTunes and tell you they made "bug fixes".
    When I check changelogs on a few programs that I update slightly often (pidgin, foobar2000, ccleaner, etc), I frequently see a simple "bug fixes" bullet point.

Firefox is one of the only programs that I can think of off the top of my head that tell you about the bugs that they fixed and how they fixed them.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • When I check changelogs on a few programs that I update slightly often (pidgin, foobar2000, ccleaner, etc), I frequently see a simple "bug fixes" bullet point.
    Many programs like that will make two different changelogs. The changelog you see is the one that is meant for end users. There is another changelog that is meant for developers that has all the gory details. However, those gory details wouldn't mean very much to someone who wasn't a programmer, and wasn't familiar with the code base of the application in question.

If a program is open source you can actually go and see every single change that was made to the code by way of the version control system. It's not a very useful changelog for most people, but it's complete.
    edited October 2008
    So I didn't get the Dist-upgrade notification because of the crazy LTS defaulting to not informing the user of a new non-LTS distribution upgrade. So I switched that and have updated. There has been some overhaul with a bunch of programs, 'ubuntu looks' and the nvidia drivers have been replaced with new stuff. The new default wallpaper looks pretty awesome, so does the Darkroom skin. Though it's kinda dark and not that well suited for some dialogs imho. The quit button has been replaced with an IM status/quit button. Which basically means, I can now change my status over all my instant message programmes via that thing. Useful, perhaps. It however doesn't have an 'invisible' option, one which I use 999.9‰ of the time.

The Synaptic Package Manager now has a quicksearch, I already found this to be very useful accompanied with the Status listing of all packages in the repository. Upgrading went very, very smooth.

The upgrade comes with the Nvidia X Server settings manager, making changes to the X Server Color Correction dialog has a nice auto time-out restore. Did this exist before? It's awesome though. There are now also Log Out and Shut Down buttons in the System drop down menu.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    I don't feel the need to go out of my way to upgrade.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ok, so this doesn't mean much for anyone else, but this new version of Ubuntu means a lot for me with my laptop. Now, I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for as long as I've owned it, and it's always worked great. However, there were always very tiny problems here and there.

For example, my laptop has two special buttons, the A button and the ECO button. In Windows they work with the special Fujitsu stuffs. These buttons never worked in Linux. Also, in 8.04 the laptop was not properly re-routing audio when I plugged in headphones. It was working just fine in versions prior to 8.04, but not 8.04. Suspending and hibernating has always been flaky and untrustworthy. Screen brightness controls didn't always work properly. External monitors didn't always work properly. The microphone didn't work properly most of the time. The memory card slot didn't always work.

With this new version, so far everything has worked. I still have yet to test everything and update the Ubuntu laptop testing wiki page. However, so far I am amazed that the two proprietary buttons work just fine, the sound works, and the brightness all work. For someone with my laptop, this is a significant update.
  • With this new version, so far everything has worked. I still have yet to test everything and update the Ubuntu laptop testing wiki page. However, so far I am amazed that the two proprietary buttons work just fine, the sound works, and the brightness all work. For someone with my laptop, this is a significant update.
    My sound and brightness buttons have always worked because System 76 releases patches with every new version of Ubuntu to make them work. So it's not nearly as big a deal for me.
  • I take it this is very much a stability release then. Stability is good.
  • What I'd like to see is Hibernation support for Wubi installs. Also, Ubuntu doesn't really like my wireless card.
  • edited November 2008
    Woke up way too early this morning so I spend an hour or so upgrading. Lots of small features coupled with performance improvements. World times in the system clock and the new network manager are probably the most useful features for me currently.
    Feels like they've really spent a lot of time polishing and tightening things up.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • World times in the system clock
    You mean 'Locations'? That was already in 8.04.
  • ...the new network manager are probably the most useful features...
    It's about time; they've needed a new one since Dapper.

Don't mistake this for condescension though, it's not like I was going to write one. ^_~
  • Wasn't the Network Manager a new feature in Gutsy?
  • They've improved it again, feels much cleaner.
  • Wasn't the Network Manager a new feature in Gutsy?
    It was still awful. I'm in the process of performing a distro upgrade on the laptop right now; it might finally be time to look at finally pulling XP off that machine if the new net manager works well enough.
  • I upgraded my laptop over the weekend and I'm not really feeling any difference, though I don't use it for much beyond web browsing and word processing. It might be a tiny bit slower, if anything.
  • Why does everything always starts breaking when I don't upgrade? Firefox crashes while using Gmail.
  • Installed the 8.10 server as guest on my virtual machine server. Gonna start hosting files again.
  • edited November 2008
    I now have my Google Calendar synced with the one in the task bar. Here is how you do it. Go to the link to find out how you get your GCal URL.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hey! I realized there is a major change to the way networking works in the new Ubuntu.

In the older version, if you connected to a wired network, it would disconnect the wireless. If you unplugged the wire, it would connect the wireless again, if possible.

In the new Ubuntu, it connects to as many networks as possible by default. This is the more correct functionality, and it makes me very happy.
  • Oh mans, I can't wait to download and install it tonight! I've been using gentoo for the past month or so, and I'd like to be running all three (gentoo, ubuntu, winxp) on my desktop. Gentoo is for learning, Windows is for games, and Ubuntu is for work, and productivity, and such.

I just realized how geeky it is to be posting that message on this forum during my lunch hour at work. Hmm.
  • Oh mans, I can't wait to download and install it tonight! I've been using gentoo for the past month or so, and I'd like to be running all three (gentoo, ubuntu, winxp) on my desktop. Gentoo is for learning, Windows is for games, and Ubuntu is for work, and productivity, and such.

I just realized how geeky it is to be posting that message on this forum during my lunch hour at work. Hmm.
    Is Ubuntu more productive? o_O
  • Is Ubuntu more productive? o_O
    Than Gentoo, most likely. Than Windows, also possible. The lack of games means the only time wasters around are videos, music, and the internet.
  • I just installed 8.10 today but I couldn't seem to find a way to create a dialup connection. I tired using pppconfig to create a connection but I couldn't find a way to connect.
  • Is Ubuntu more productive? o_O
    The lack of games means the only time wasters around are videos, music, and the internet.
    That's so true... I played left4dead for 4 hours straight yesterday.
  • I just installed 8.10 today but I couldn't seem to find a way to create a dialup connection. I tired using pppconfig to create a connection but I couldn't find a way to connect.
    To be honest, I've never done any dial-up in Linux ever. The only thing I've done even close to dial-up is setup some cell modems over PCMCIA or serial port.
  • edited November 2008
    I just installed 8.10 today but I couldn't seem to find a way to create a dialup connection. I tired using pppconfig to create a connection but I couldn't find a way to connect.
    Go to your system>admin>networking menu. Do you see a modem connection? If so, go to properties, and check the enable box.
    If you don't see it there, I would guess you need to create a new connection with pppconfig or gnome ppp, but I've never had to do that before, so I don't know exactly how it would work.
    Post edited by csrjjsmp on