This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Black Lagoon

edited November 2008 in Anime
Time to talk about my favorite recent Anime, Black lagoon. How did the rest of you enjoy it?

Comments

• I love that series. I own the Manga and the Anime. Hell, I even own the Revoltech Revy which is the only Anime Figurine I own.
    However, the series has already been discussed a little, even though not in it's own thread. Somehow Rym and Scott shunned it after the first episode. However, other Anime Reviewers I heard talk about the show almost all universally either liked or very heavily enjoyed the show.
    I am still hoping they will continue the series in OVAs or in a third 12 episode series when there is more manga material.
  • I agree. I loved every part of the show, and you gotta show me that Revy figure. I have never even heard of one for Black Lagoon.
    That is a shame, because they missed the best part of episode two: Jumping the boat off a boat and firing two torpedoes at a helicopter. Way to think outside the box, Rock.
    They are working on Season 3 as we speak. I can't wait.

Which do you prefer for the show, Dubs or Subs? I like the Dubs,myself.
  • Pic I just shot and a promo pic:
    imageimage

As for dubs vs. subs: I can't speak for the american version since I own the german DVDs, but the german dub is actually very good. I can watch both but if I had to chose, I'd pick the subs, simply because I usually always opt for original audio tracks unless I am lazy :)
  • Don't the dubs ruin the really shitty but funny accents that Balalaika has? When i first heard her English accent, I was like, what the fuck is with this accent..... I couldn't stop laughing for some reason.
  • I'll admit that I don't get the appeal of this show. On seeingthe first two episodes, it just seemed like a really generic action anime. Originally, we wrote it off just as we've done with most of the "episode ones" we watch. I was honestly surprised when, later, people started really buzzing about it.
  • The true appeal of the show doesn't arise until AFTER the first two episodes! That's kinda funny.
  • Andy: I like her dub voice. Alot. The Japanese version sure as hell doesn't mention the band Oingo Bingo. That automatically makes the dub better.

Rym: Maybe you should see what all the buzz it about. But I gotta say, this is the first "Generic" action show I've seen where a boat beats a helicopter, in the coolest way possible.

Chaos: Nice. Heh, The German has to be awesome. It's fucking German.

Sniper: Yeah it is. That is what makes it awesome. I rather enjoy the first two episodes anyway.
  • Chaos: Nice. Heh, The German has to be awesome. It's fucking German.
    The German language can never be described as awesome. Take this from someone who has learned and heard multiple languages throughout his 2 decade live.
  • I'll admit that I don't get the appeal of this show. On seeingthe first two episodes, it just seemed like a really generic action anime. Originally, we wrote it off just as we've done with most of the "episode ones" we watch. I was honestly surprised when, later, people started really buzzing about it.
    The action isn't what made me fall for this show but the characters, not necessarily the Lagoon Company but everyone around them, that did. Also, I didn't really start enjoying the show until episode four; the first three episodes are very much introductions for the Lagoon Company and the world the city they live in.
    The action isn't what made me fall for this show but the characters, not necessarily the Lagoon Company but everyone around them, that did. Also, I didn't really start enjoying the show until episode four; the first three episodes are very much introductions for the Lagoon Company and the world the city they live in.
    I agree. Some of my favorite characters only show up once. Leigharch, the Irish; Pot-smoking getaway driver. He is the best, man. I even Cosplayed as him at Otakon 08.
  • I actually got my friend into anime with this show (I just listened to the "how to get people in anime" show today). It was the perfect show for him because he's a huge gun nut and the characters had depth, but there was no over arching message they tried to hammer into you to the determent of everything else. I thoroughly enjoyed this show. It's not going to redefine the world, but it's a really fun ride.

The show also has the record of being the only anime I've ever watched that actually gave me a nightmare. Word of advice to those that are going to check this show out don't watch the first 3 episodes of the second barrage late at night right before bed. People who have seen that will know what I'm talking about.
  • Ah yes. The creepy Vampire Twins. I watched those episodes on Halloween night, lights off. Of course I've seen the episodes before so it didn't have a great effect on me. About as effective as Ghostbusters.
  • Love the show. Only seen about 10 episodes of it, though. I have the DVDs for the first season and the episodes of the second season on my computer. I'll get around to it soon enough.
  • I knew that I was in love with it towards the end of the first episode where they take out a helicopter with a torpedo. It breaks my heart that no one in my anime club had watched it before I did. I place up there with Escaflowne, Evangelion, and Ghost in the Shell.
    edited December 2009
    I knew that I was in love with it towards the end of the first episode where they take out a helicopter with a torpedo.
    That happens halfway through the second episode. It's not even the climax of an episode, just an awesome thing in between. That tells you how great this show is.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I love this show, especially the later/longer arcs. The last few in the anime are really good. If you don't do so already, I would suggest reading the manga somewhere after the current end of the show. The anime is essentially a "better" version of the manga.
  • Indeed. I've loved Black Lagoon ever since I first watched it. I need to buy it as well.
  • The anime is essentially a "better" version of the manga.
    What's better about the anime? I read the first volume of the manga, and it was only alright, but I do have the second volume on the way, because I really like the art. If the anime's a lot better, I might watch it.
  • What's better about the anime? I read the first volume of the manga, and it was only alright, but I do have the second volume on the way, because I really like the art. If the anime's a lot better, I might watch it.
    Animated violence is almost always better than stationary violence.
  • Animated violence is almost always better than stationary violence.
    Hmmmmm. Strangely enough, I tend to prefer comics over animation in almost all cases. If the only plus of the Black Lagoon anime is that it's animated, I'll pass.
  • Hmmmmm. Strangely enough, I tend to prefer comics over animation in almost all cases.
    Well you're just wrong. :P
    If the only plus of the Black Lagoon anime is that it's animated, I'll pass.
    Honestly I have no idea, I've only ever seen the anime.
  • The english dub is, I think, Very close to the quality of Bebop or Gits:Sac. If Bebop was a 10, Black Lagoon is an 8 or a 9.
  • The english dub is, I think, Very close to the quality of Bebop or Gits:Sac. If Bebop was a 10, Black Lagoon is an 8 or a 9.
    If you listen to the dub you lose the engrish fuck (one of the most enjoyable parts of the Black Lagoon anime), subs all the way.
    If you listen to the dub you lose the engrish fuck (one of the most enjoyable parts of the Black Lagoon anime), subs all the way.
    Yeah, but you get "Chingrish" and "Twinkie"
    Have you taken up Churba's habit of random capitalisation because you think it'll make you cooler? Or did you always do that?
    Have you taken up Churba's habit of random capitalisation because you think it'll make you cooler? Or did you always do that?
    Neither. It was accidental.
  • edited December 2009
    From this thread:
    Look, guns don't hurt people. People hurt people. If a gun is their weapon of choice, then so be it. Since that is the case, Lets do our best to keep guns out of the hands of stupid people. However, Don't make stupid people be the reason why cool people cant get guns. I'll go through the training. I'll learn how to properly and safely own and use a fire arm. I understand how dangerous a gun can be and will never use one unless to defend my family or myself. They aren't toys, I know that. I have gun shaped toys to help sate my need to shoot at things.
    Twice in one post!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited December 2009
    Fromthisthread:Look, guns don't hurt people. People hurt people. If a gun is their weapon of choice, then so be it. Since that is the case, Lets do our best to keep guns out of the hands of stupid people. However, Don't make stupid people be the reason why cool people cant get guns. I'll go through the training. I'll learn how to properly and safely own and use a fire arm. I understand how dangerous a gun can be and will never use one unless to defend my family or myself. They aren't toys, I know that. I have gun shaped toys to help sate my need to shoot at things.
    Twice in one post!Excuse me, has your name changed to Mr. Period? No. So when someone says they are doing something by accident, that means you Shut The Fuck Up. And THAT was on purpose.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I just happened to find it amusing.
  • Animated violence is almost always better than stationary violence.
    Hmmmmm. Strangely enough, I tend to prefer comics over animation in almost all cases. If the only plus of the Black Lagoon anime is that it's animated, I'll pass.
    Yeah, it's pretty much just that it's animated and my preference is towards animation; hence the quotes on better. The anime is nearly identical to the manga in both content and style.