This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Russian Analyst predicts decline and breakup of USA

edited November 2008 in Politics
Taken from www.drudgereport.com

"RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

Developing... "

I think this Russian doesn't completely understand how our country and it's people think.

Comments

• An interesting/funny idea to think about though. What if the US did break up into multiple countries.
  • I think this Russian doesn't completely understand how our country and it's people think.
    That's certainly an understatement. Seems to me like a crack pot who has no real understanding of anything, let alone the US.
  • It's definitely going to decline. Breakup? Not in this century, and definitely not in the manner he describes.
  • I think the dependence of some states on others will prevent any breakup until times are good.
  • "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all."
    Hahaha. I lol'd.
    Then Sarah Palin really could see Russia from her house!
    Then Sarah Palin really could see Russia from her house!
    Sarah Palin Vindicated? This cannot stand.
  • It sounds like a high school kid translated that article from Russian.

I don't know what he's talking about when he says "even though in the early 1980s there was no debt". The National Debt was considered to be a big deal at the time. It was even an issue in the presidential campaign.
  • edited November 2008
    Also: Russia in its current state would have definite difficulties being a "world leader" in Eurasia, due to the instability of its government and the endemic corruption and organized crime it has suffered from from the past decade. Plus, I believe that despite political differences, the United States is far more unified than he seems to think. He divides the country mostly along the lines of ethnic/cultural groups, and in my opinion, if the United States was to break up, this would probably not be the reason.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Plus, I believe that despite political differences, the United States is far more unified than he seems to think. He divides the country mostly along the lines of ethnic/cultural groups, and in my opinion, if the United States was to break up, this would probably not be the reason.
    I think he underestimates the influence of patriotic idiots. Many people in America feel highly invested in the unified country despite having no logical reason to. I'm not saying it's bad...I think it's good for us to be unified. I'm saying there are a lot of people who have what amounts to religious fervor about the Union. Those people plus the smart people who actually have great reasons why the US should stay together make me think that it's highly unlikely for us to see a break any time soon.
  • When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."
    Just in case, I am going to start saying "Ni hao, Comrade."
  • It's definitely going to decline. Breakup? Not in this century, and definitely not in the manner he describes.
    Exactly, he understands our economy maybe, but not our culture. Plus there has to be an economic/political drive for the country to split up. I'm just no seeing anything that could drive such a wedge between the American people.
  • I could see Texas declaring independence. That's feasible. Not in my lifetime, though.