This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama National Secutiry Team

edited December 2008 in Politics
Here are some of Obama's choices for some of his key national security positions.
Hillary Clinton, U.S. Senator from New York and former First Lady, will serve as Secretary of State.

Secretary Robert Gates, the current Secretary of Defense, will continue to serve in that role.

Eric Holder, former Deputy Attorney General and a former United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, will serve as Attorney General.

Janet Napolitano, Governor and former U.S. Attorney for Arizona, will serve as Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security.

Dr. Susan E. Rice, a Senior Foreign Policy Advisor to the Obama for America campaign, a Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution, and former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, will serve as Ambassador to the United Nations.

General Jim Jones, USMC (Ret), former Allied Commander, Europe, and Commander of the United States European Command, will serve as National Security Advisor.

Barack's national security team has been assembled to represent all elements of American power, diplomacy, and leadership that will be vital in overcoming the challenges of the 21st century.
I am to particularly surprised that Hillary was awarded a positions, seeing that he still wants to fully unify the democrat party. I am ashamed to mention that most of the other names I have only heard in passing. What do you think?

Comments

• What I think is what you'll generally hear out there by non-idiots.

Obama is forming a experienced cabinet of non-controversial people to help advise him. I've heard people grip "Oh, where is this change I though we were getting". I think people forget that the change will come from the top and someone will have to implement these changes. It's better to have the cabinet surrounding the president to be well versed in how to get things done then to have complete chaos that we've seen at the beginning of other administrations (I'm looking at you Clinton).
  • I am to particularly surprised that Hillary was awarded a positions, seeing that he still wants to fully unify the democrat party.
    I have a strong feeling that this is a bargaining chip for dropping out of the primaries...
  • I am to particularly surprised that Hillary was awarded a positions, seeing that he still wants to fully unify the democrat party.
    I have a strong feeling that this is a bargaining chip for dropping out of the primaries...
    It will also ensure that she doesn't foolishly run again in 4 years. I am excited to see who will take over her seat in the Senate. The safe bet is Andrew Cuomo, but some other viable choices are Thomas Suozzi, Kirsten Gillibrand, Nydia M. Velázquez, Gregory W. Meeks, Steve Israel, and some are floating Bill Clinton as a possibility (which I think is ridiculous). I wonder if there any "upstaters" that will be considered.
  • I was kinda hoping he would appoint John McCain to something.
  • I was kinda hoping he would appoint John McCain to something.
    Why? What can McCain offer on anything? He has been permanently crippled by this past campaign. He reversed himself so many times, that McCain no longer stands for anything in the Nation's eyes.
  • Why? What can McCain offer on anything? He has been permanently crippled by this past campaign. He reversed himself so many times, that McCain no longer stands for anything in the Nation's eyes.
    45% of the nation disagrees. Anyway, the man is 72, he has a great deal of experience in national politics, national security, national defense, etc. Like him or not, he does bring a lot to the table, and it would be a very humble gesture to ask for his help and would help bring the moderate Republicans in.

That said, I didn't really expect Obama to do that, nor do I take umbrage with the selection he has made.
  • Like him or not, he does bring a lot to the table
    He brings what in my opinion are outdated, fearful, intolerant ideas coupled with ineffective and aggressive foreign policy.
    help bring the moderate Republicans in.
    Moderate Republicans or moderates? The Republican party, on an absolute scale, is far from moderate. Even the most center-leaning are pretty far from moderate.
  • Moderate Republicans or moderates? The Republican party, on an absolute scale, is far from moderate. Even the most center-leaning are pretty far from moderate.
    Regardless, a lot of people still align with Republicans and it would help to try and make these people. I think that's part of the reason Secretary Gates is staying.
  • I just hope Mr. Period doesn't see this thread.
  • edited December 2008
    Moderate Republicans or moderates? The Republican party, on an absolute scale, is far from moderate. Even the most center-leaning are pretty far from moderate.
    Regardless, a lot of people still align with Republicans and it would help to try and make these people. I think that's part of the reason Secretary Gates is staying.
    Most pundits believe that Gates is only going to be kept on for the first year for continuity's sake. Obama is incredibly centrist and his appointments reflect that. Why do you want him to have a Republican (particularly a Republican that is not popular with his own party at the moment and would bring nothing of current significance) in the Obama administration? What Democrats did Bush appoint? Why do you think that the Republicans need a concession prize?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Most pundits believe that Gates is only going to be kept on for the first year for continuity's sake. Obama is incredibly centrist and his appointments reflect that. Why do you want him to have a Republican (particularly a Republican that is not popular with his own party at the moment and would bring nothing of current significance) in the Obama administration? What Democrats did Bush appoint? Why do you think that the Republicans need a concession prize?
    If you don't appease the right at all then all the bipartisanship that Obama was talking about is bull shit.
  • That being said, you don't have to pick the republicans who were in bush's administration to please the right. You just appointment political or non-political people that both sides like. Strangely there are personnel out there that are viewed favorably by both the right and the left :-p From what I have heard from commentators, the picks Obama has made so far conservatives have been pretty happy. I heard Rush Limbaugh even approved of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State :-p
  • That being said, you don't have to pick the republicans who were in bush's administration to please the right. You just appointment political or non-political people that both sides like. Strangely there are personnel out there that are viewed favorably by both the right and the left :-p From what I have heard from commentators, the picks Obama has made so far conservatives have been pretty happy. I heard Rush Limbaugh even approved of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State :-p
    I said I had no issues with his picks, I just still kinda like McCain.
  • Why should anyone be unhappy with Hillary as Secretary of State? Other than her politics not being to my liking I do not see any reason why she would not be qualified for the position.
  • Why should anyone be unhappy with Hillary as Secretary of State? Other than her politics not being to my liking I do not see any reason why she would not be qualified for the position.
    She only represents our country abroad, what harm could she possibly do?
  • edited December 2008

45% of the nation disagrees.
    I daresay that 44% of the nation was voting against Obama, not for McCain...
    Post edited by RedShirt on
  • What do you think?
    I think he just stabbed all those far lefties that voted for him in the back...
  • What do you think?
    How did you come to this conclusion?
  • Most pundits believe that Gates is only going to be kept on for the first year for continuity's sake. Obama is incredibly centrist and his appointments reflect that. Why do you want him to have a Republican (particularly a Republican that is not popular with his own party at the moment and would bring nothing of current significance) in the Obama administration? What Democrats did Bush appoint? Why do you think that the Republicans need a concession prize?
    If you don't appease the right at all then all the bipartisanship that Obama was talking about is bull shit.
    Appease them? He is already a moderate and a centrist. You really don't get any more bipartisan than that without selling out all of your ideals and switching teams. Also, who needs appeasing? Are there riots in the streets that I am unaware of? Bush never appointed a Democrat to a major position, why should Obama. That isn't how politics work. The people that win are the people that win. While they need to work well with the opposing side, they do not need to hire them. It sounds like you simply want him to appoint a Republican for shallow P.R. reasons, as they would be unable to do anything other than serve at Obama's pleasure. Do the Republicans need a collective hug? If so, they need to go visit their mommies and stop whining.
  • edited December 2008
    Jed Bartlett hired Ainsley Hayes to be a White House lawyer.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited December 2008
    Backstabbing is when you say one thing and do another. So far, that's not what we have seen. Obama has been saying all along that this is going to take work and time, and that means working together. If the far lefties decided that meant he was going to tie all of the republicans together and burn them at the stake, then institute sexual freedom and legalize drugs, or that the two-party system would simply dissolve into a big pot of puppies and confetti, then they deceived themselves. Nobody in his campaign ever said it was going to be like that. People attributed their own meaning to the word "change." They shouldn't be upset when promises he never made aren't kept.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Jed Bartlett hired Ainsley Hayes to be a White House lawyer.
    Not to appease anyone, but becasue he saw talent. White House counsel's office and lower staff usually has people from various political affiliations.
  • Appease them? He is already a moderate and a centrist. You really don't get any more bipartisan than that without selling out all of your ideals and switching teams. Also, who needs appeasing? Are there riots in the streets that I am unaware of? Bush never appointed a Democrat to a major position, why should Obama. That isn't how politics work. The people that win are the people that win. While they need to work well with the opposing side, they do not need to hire them. It sounds like you simply want him to appoint a Republican for shallow P.R. reasons, as they would be unable to do anything other than serve at Obama's pleasure. Do the Republicans need a collective hug? If so, they need to go visit their mommies and stop whining.
    So you're going to stamp your feet and say, "we won, it our turn." You keep bringing up Bush as if it means something in this debate. I think Bush would have been much better served to have a few people in his cabinet that disagreed with his beliefs. FDR and Lincoln did the same thing. When you trying to make decisions that make everyone happy, having people from the other team isn't going to hurt.g
  • Jed Bartlett hired Ainsley Hayes to be a White House lawyer.
    Not to appease anyone, but becasue he saw talent. White House counsel's office and lower staff usually has people from various political affiliations.
    Leo: "The President likes to hear from smart people who disagree with him."