This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What I Watched, What I Expected, What I Got

edited December 2008 in Anime

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Tenshiro is truth in advertising.
    Also, Esclafowne wasn't that bad :P
    The music was good

But I still think this is better to get motivated.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Also, Esclafowne wasn't that bad :P
    I consider it one of the better shows ever made. It's no EVA, but it's a great show.

I would have enjoyed this movie so much more if it hadn't been advertised as a comedy.
  • I watched Escaflowne in high school and absolutely loved it then. I watched it again with my parents, but it seemed so much sappier and nonsensical than when I first watched. Today, I can only stomach the first half really. The second half is just off the wall and deus ex machina shit.
  • edited December 2008
    All too easy, but it's good to start with low-hanging fruits.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • More low hanging fruit:

Fuck me, the Gimp is hard work.
  • I still get goosebumps watching the Escaflowne opener.
  • I still get goosebumps watching the Escaflowne opener.
    I love you for a million reasons. This is reason 729,095.
  • I did a google search and this is one really old meme. Did anyone else know this before making their own especially for his thread?
  • edited December 2008
    EDIT: See below.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm a dirty hotlinker because I'm lazy and shiftless.
    And because of that, nobody gets your joke.
  • Some Batmans.

• What I watched:
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    What I expected:
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    What I got:
    Yeah, I know there was a show about this and how I should've avoided it, but I missed it and didn't listen until the damage had been done.
    My GIMP skills are weak, but you get the point.
    Yeah, I know there was a show about this and how I should've avoided it, but I missed it and didn't listen until the damage had been done.
    I think I can say this is probably the worst anime I've ever seen. To quote Yahtzee, "it falls right off the end of my critical spectrum into the black crawling void of dispassionate loathing."
    Doesn't the live action 101 Dalmatians plus The Mighty Ducks equal poop, giving you exactly what you expected?
  • Actually I meant the story of 101 Dalmations and the Cruella de Vil type character. Maybe I should have used the poster of the Disney animated movie. Let's just say it was a whole lot better than I expected, but it was definitely a straight to video movie.
  • Actually I meant the story of 101 Dalmations and the Cruella de Vil type character. Maybe I should have used the poster of the Disney animated movie. Let's just say it was a whole lot better than I expected, but it was definitely a straight to video movie.
    See, that still sounds like poop. But maybe sugar covered poop. As someone that enjoys some very, very bad movies - I get you.
  • See, that still sounds like poop. But maybe sugar covered poop.
    Well, as the Mythbusters have proven, you can polish a turd. But in the end, it's still just a shiny turd.

Slight variation based on a (non-fiction) book I'm reading about a British journalist who meets up with a self-proclaimed "demonologist" to do a short column about paranormal activities, which then causes the journalist to become obsessed with the idea of ghosts, thus sending him on a spiritual journey of sorts to find the truth about ghostly phenomenon. A lot of reviews suggest that it's humorous and scary, but it's mostly philosophy on the nature of life and death.
  • Was it any good?
  • Yes, it's very good. The author approaches from a very skeptical viewpoint and searches out scientific explanations more often than not.