This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Loss of Innocence

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Why does it seem to be a part of growing up that leads people to shed their love of "childish" things? Media such as animation and puppetry do not seem to be valid means of entertainment anymore to the average adult. What happens during the development of people to cause this travesty? It is an issue that has plagued me since I entered middle school, the idea that everything I have ever loved is now something to be cast away because it is no longer right for someone my age to be consuming. The idea that playing Pokemon or watching a Disney movie is no longer socially correct and will only insight ridicule by peers. Can someone please help me find some answers?

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Some people just grow out of stuff and others don't. There's nothing you can do.

[Edit] Read Catcher in the Rye.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I can't say exactly why that's the case. Seems to have been that way for a long time. There' s a verse in the bible that says something along the lines of "When I was a child, I spoke as a child and acted as a child, but when I became an adult, I put away childish things".

As far as animation and puppetry and things like that, it's probably largely related to the fact that those media have traditionally catered mostly to kids, and that's the idea that most people are stuck on.

Most important thing is to just do what you want to do, and not care what people think about it.
  • Why does it seem to be a part of growing up that leads people to shed their love of "childish" things? Media such as animation and puppetry do not seem to be valid means of entertainment anymore to the average adult. What happens during the development of people to cause this travesty? It is an issue that has plagued me since I entered middle school, the idea that everything I have ever loved is now something to be cast away because it is no longer right for someone my age to be consuming. The idea that playing Pokemon or watching a Disney movie is no longer socially correct and will only insight ridicule by peers. Can someone please help me find some answers?
    When you are a kid, your tastes are less sophisticated for the most part. I.E. Rewatch He-man and wonder why you spent anytime watching the show.

Also as you age you'll fall into and out of different hobbies and entertainment as you get bored with one or find an old hobby. This is normal. I can't tell you how often I drift away from a hobby like reading comic books, only to find myself a few years later hooked into them again.
  • Some grow out of it. Some people just stop because they are trying to be more grown up or afraid what people would think if they still like cartoons and comics. This mentality was rampant in middle school. Then there are those who don't care and still love those things. IMO, the latter group are more fun. Just do what you do man.
  • Media such as animation and puppetry do not seem to be valid means of entertainment anymore to the average adult.
    Societal pressure evoked by ignorance.
  • There are two separate things going on here, and you're confusing them.

One is that when you are young, you are shielded from the truth. Even if you are a really lucky kid, and nobody lies to you, they still conceal much of reality from you. You don't learn about sex, violence, war, crime, or many of the other horrors of the world. You also only learn smaller details of things you are told. For example, they will tell you that Columbus discovered America, but they won't tell you the real deal.

As you grow up, you start to learn the truth, and it's not good. In early life you are taught only good things, so when they fill in the gaps later, it's mostly bad things. Thus, you have this innocence early in life that goes away.

What you are talking about is a cultural thing. There is a cultural perception that certain forms of artwork are childish. That's separate from losing your innocence. There's nothing inherent about animation, comic books, puppetry, video games, etc. that make them only appropriate entertainment for children. It's simply that they are perceived this way by our culture. You only have to look at other cultures to see that these forms of artwork are enjoyed by all ages.

There is one connection between these two ideas, however. If someone has been shielded from reality, they likely have much different taste than someone who has been exposed. For people like us, something like Teletubbies or Barney the Dinosaur are intolerable. For a very young child who lives in a world of bright colors and such, things like that fit in just fine.
  • Teletubbies or Barney the Dinosaur are intolerable.
    Speak for yourself.

/joking
  • You don't learn about sex... or many of the other horrors of the world.
    Sorry, had to point it out.

In addition to the culture problems that Scott brought up, keep in mind that much of the work created in the mediums you mention are inteded for children. When shows cater to "adults" (like South Park, Futurama, etc.) then adults watch them.

Many people hold on to childish activities or interests, but they can't hold on to every single childhood interest. If someone was a huge baseball fan when they were little, but only somewhat into cartoons, then they will probably hold onto the one interest and let the others go as they have developed new interests and have more demands on their time.

I remember reading somewhere that as people age, fast moving bright colors and high pitched sounds become less appealing. That might be something to do with it.
  • I know this may seem out of place, but looking at the title reminded me of this poem:
    THE FACES OF OUR YOUTH

Many older people seem to take an unmerited pride in
    the mere fact they are adults.
    When youth comes crashing in on them with
    enthusiasm and ideals, they put on their
    most patronizing smiles and send them out with
    what they call their blessings.

But you and I know they have not given their
    blessings but a cold shower.
    They pat the young man or young woman on the back
    and say:

"You're young. Enjoy your enthusiasm and your
    ideals while you can.
    For when you grow up and grow out into the world
    you'll see how foolish your ideas actually were."

And the trouble is, young people do grow up and
    and grow away from their ideals.
    And that is one reason why the world into which they
    go gets better so slowly.
  • Am I weird for still adoring cartoons? I love kids cartoons - Avatar, Ben 10, animes directed at kids, etc. However, I really prefer the ones with _stories_ behind them - again, like Avatar, Ben 10...

Although, Kim Possible is teh win, story or no.
  • edited December 2008
    Although, Kim Possible is teh win, story or no.
    That was a surprisingly good show and I watched it every day at 5 after middle school. It was probably the best thing Disney has put on TV since Recess.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The idea that playing Pokemon or watching a Disney movie is no longer socially correct and will only insight ridicule by peers.
    Those supposed 'peers' of yours are, in situations like this, typically attempting to act mature. These are the exact same snot-nosed, brain-damaged, little fucksticks who believe that by playing Grand Theft Auto IV they will suddenly become 'adult'. I find it best to simply ignore these creatures as their opinions are as trivial as their existence.
  • playing Grand Theft Auto IV they will suddenly become 'adult'
    I was actually speaking in generalities, but with the people I meet the game is more-often-than-not Halo.