This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pirates

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
When I was in high school the cold war was still going strong and these kinds of shenanigans either didn't exist or they weren't discussed in polite society, but I'm really angry that my guidance counselor didn't tell me there was still the possibility of being a pirate. I'm so upset that I've lived half my life and didn't know this was still a valid career path! My life would have been totally different. . .

Do you think there's still time?

Comments

• There's always time, as long as you have enough cash to purchase some guns, ammunition, and a suitably sized and equipped boat. Depending on what you want to do and the size of your ship, you may need a crew.

I personally would like to eventually retire to a diesel-electric sub bought off the Russian Navy, and spend my days being a scourge of pirates on the high seas.
  • My wife is gonna be the major obstacle here. I've gotta come up with some arguments that this is gonna be a better career path for us. . .

We're both lawyers, so we both have at least some transferable experience.

"Honey? Do you wanna go to the boat show this weekend?"
  • Well, it is a growing industry, with high rewards for success. It can be difficult to get into, and depending on what level of profit you are hoping for, can require considerable investment.

But it is definitely more exciting than a regular day job. And with the right equipment (such as a satellite uplink), you can still maintain a profession as a legal consultant via tele-presence.
  • Joe, if you're a lawyer, aren't you already a pirate? If you have a thirst for high seas adventure, I suppose you could go into maritime law.... :D
  • Joe, if you're a lawyer, aren't you already a pirate?
    That's what I meant by having some transferable experience. Not so much with the violence and the hurting and the flaven, so that'll take practice.

Carole already telecommutes three days a week. . .
    If you have a thirst for high seas adventure, I suppose you could go into maritime law.... :D
    In school, when I was studying in the library, I often propped open The Law Of Seamen in front of my books.
  • You two could partner up the way my wife and I partner up.

She goes out and breaks her friends computers and then referrs them to me to get them fixed!
  • I might get better mileage out of the idea if I write it up as a screenplay.

"Rob Schneider was a D.C. lawyer, but he always wanted to be a pirate. . . "
  • edited March 2007
    I often propped openThe Law Of Seamen
    You two could partner up the way my wife and I partner up.
    Speechless.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited December 2008
    Pirates: We're rich and chicks dig us.

I'm so jealous. Why, oh why didn't my guidance counselor tell me about this?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • You two could partner up the way my wife and I partner up.

She goes out and breaks her friends computers and then referrs them to me to get them fixed!
    I hope that is a joke. Sincerely. If not, then you are ripping off friends.
  • I'm so jealous. Why, oh why didn't my guidance counselor tell me about this?
    My high school was and is a hotbed of piracy. Of course their idea of piracy is: