This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Christmas sale!

edited December 2008 in Video Games
Steam is now selling everything at 10-75% off! It's the perfect time to buy those games you had your eye on for a while, or those awesome packs of developer specific games. Unfortunately, I own a lot of the games available, so I won't be able to benefit this as greatly as others, but there are still some games on my wishlist. What are you guys going to be buying? I have pretty much every game I want that's available on steam, so I'm buying some of the more lesser known and indie games, which are cheap to begin with.

Comments

• Some pretty nice deals are to be had. I've bought Bioshock $4.99, Civ IV complete pack $24.99 and Reaxxion $.99 so far.
  • Blue Shift and Opposing Force are both €0.99 (not so sure in dollars). So pick 'em up if you haven't yet!
  • Blue ShiftandOpposing Forceare both €0.99 (not so sure in dollars). So pick 'em up if you haven't yet!
    Or don't and boycott Valve's moronic idea that 1€ = 1$.
  • Or don't and boycott Valve's moronic idea that 1€ = 1$.
    Yeah. Just play all those great Dutch video games.
  • Yeah. Just play all those great Dutch video games.
    That has exactly nothing to do with it Sail. I don't see you getting ripped off when buying games from an European company, but if you insist, please return our developers. Really, just because the US economy is doing badly, why the fuck go back to the stone age of selling games? Steam got props for being fair, everyone paid the same fucking price. The only difference was the taxes set by the local government. Now they've gone back to the classic rip-off the rest of the world model. Would you want to be treated like that? Go try and think about that little brat.
  • That has exactly nothing to do with it Sail. I don't see you getting ripped off when buying games from an European company, but if you insist, please return our developers. Really, just because the US economy is doing badly, why the fuck go back to the stone age of selling games? Steam got props for being fair, everyone paid the same fucking price. The only difference was the taxes set by the local government. Now they've gone back to the classic rip-off the rest of the world model. Would you want to be treated like that? Go try and think about that little brat.
    Don't fucking buy it then.
  • Geeze, Nine. Take a pill. Not everything is srs bzns.
  • edited December 2008
    There's nothing new about paying more for imported goods.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Don't fucking buy it then.
    That's what I said. Or did you not understand my posts?
    Geeze, Nine. Take a pill. Not everything is srs bzns.
    I'm not talking about everything. Just Valve's decision to go back upon their own previous actions, making them annoying bastards.
    There's nothing new about paying more for imported goods.
    It's not the import tax that's the problem kid. In fact, I shouldn't even have to pay VAT if you ask me. The games are actively being distributed over here, in stores. Nothing is being imported at all, the import tax is only there because the Steam store is merely labelled as being only in the US when I get all of my Steam related services via servers in my own freaking country!

The problem is the 1 on 1 exchange rate. Which seriously fucks every country that does NOT have a shitty economy. Don't you Americans learn a single fucking thing in high school Economics class?

Let me try to give you people an easy question to explain this. What would you think if you walked into a store and they told you: "Sorry, your money is not worth as much in this store as it is in the rest of the world."
  • I just bought Half-Life Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but I guess I should probably finish vanilla Half-Life 1 before playing those.
  • I feel that with a sale this good it would be a shame to not get anything. I'm considering Bioshock, UT3, Darwinia/Multiwinia pack, Civ IV.
    the import tax is only there because the Steam store is merely labelled as being only in the US when I get all of my Steam related services via servers in my own freaking country!
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't you just buy the games in-store at the lower-than-Steam price and then just activate them on Steam? If you can get the goods cheaper at one location as opposed to another, then you should just be the smart consumer and do that.
  • edited December 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't you just buy the games in-store at the lower-than-Steam price and then just activate them on Steam? If you can get the goods cheaper at one location as opposed to another, then you should just be the smart consumer and do that.
    If you want a game to be in steam, for reals, you have to buy it on steam. You can buy a game and add the shortcut to steam, but it's not the same depending on which game it is. For a single player game, sure whatever. For a multiplayer game, it depends.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I just bought Half-Life Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but I guess I should probably finish vanilla Half-Life 1 before playing those.
    If you already own Half Life then why did you have to buy Opposing Force and Blue Shift? You get from for free when you put your code from Half Life into steam, well at least I did.
  • If you already own Half Life then why did you have to buy Opposing Force and Blue Shift? You get from for free when you put your code from Half Life into steam, well at least I did.
    That's if you are grandfathered in because you bought Half-Life back in the day. If you install Steam today and buy Half-Life right now, you don't get those.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't you just buy the games in-store at the lower-than-Steam price and then just activate them on Steam? If you can get the goods cheaper at one location as opposed to another, then you should just be the smart consumer and do that.
    That is possible yes, but as Scott said, it's not the same as buying a game on Steam. I said Stream services, one of these is just being able to download my games I bought through Steam on any computer. That is kinda impossible with physical media, you'd have to bring it along.
  • Audiosurf for £2.99! Yes please.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't you just buy the games in-store at the lower-than-Steam price and then just activate them on Steam? If you can get the goods cheaper at one location as opposed to another, then you should just be the smart consumer and do that.
    That is possible yes, but as Scott said, it's not the same as buying a game on Steam. I said Stream services, one of these is just being able to download my games I bought through Steam on any computer. That is kinda impossible with physical media, you'd have to bring it along.
    And maybe I'm going to the wrong stores, but I've never seen a retail copy of BioShock for $5. Sure it's an old game, but I'm sure there's a good number of people who'll jump on that deal.
  • Damn, first X-com is not available for my country, now Bioshock!?
  • but I'm sure there's a good number of people who'll jump on that deal.
    Indeed. I don't know when I'll have time to play it, but I'm grabbing it.
  • Audiosurf for £2.99! Yes please.
    It has been cheaper than that before you know.
    And maybe I'm going to the wrong stores, but I've never seen a retail copy of BioShock for $5. Sure it's an old game, but I'm sure there's a good number of people who'll jump on that deal.
    For everyone posting after this, can you please shut the fuck up if you cannot comprehend the point? Thank you.
  • Bioshock is now considered old? Argh!! I need to make more money and fast!
  • For everyone posting after this, can you please shut the fuck up if you cannot comprehend the point? Thank you.
    I wasn't really responding to your point, just adding another reason to buy from Steam. That's what the "and" was for, though I probably should have just quoted Blattus' post.
    Bioshock is now considered old? Argh!! I need to make more money and fast!
    I only meant old insofar as most of the people who really want it probably have it by now.
  • Snagged some cool stuff, mostly older games like Deus Ex that I've been wanting to play for a while.
  • It's coming probably at 1 today! Not that I need any games!
  • I heard Dec 19.
  • WHaaaaat? That's way too early...
  • Not Chimmas Sale. Black Friday/That whole business Sale.