This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Meggy Jr.

edited December 2008 in Technology
Here is a video of my Meggy Jr. that I just built. Two of the lights don't display certain colors, but I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the LED matrix (which came pre-assembled). I'm thinking about some cool possibilities with the Arduino because they use the same processor and language. Perhaps some network gaming is in the future...
TgYmKpwc8wk

Comments

• Sweet. Ehm, don't know what else to say really, looks sweet, and I'd love to see what you're going to program for it. Was this your first time soldering? If so, how did it go?
  • I was thinking of getting a PG2X, but this might be what I really need.
  • This is awesome. I may have to add this to my list of projects that I want to do but will never complete.
  • Yeah, this was my first time actually soldering electronic components. The instructions are really detailed and well written. I was actually surprised it turned on when I first plugged in the battery. It was definitely was worthwhile project.
  • Yeah, this was my first time actually soldering electronic components. The instructions are really detailed and well written. I was actually surprised it turned on when I first plugged in the battery. It was definitely was worthwhile project.
    I just soldered the protoshield for my Arduino board. I've soldered before, but it was a long time ago. I was surprised by how good of a job I did. It's perfect. Soldering is fun and easy. Doing so much Internet research and preparation beforehand helped a lot. Also, being able to order all the right equipment helped also.
  • edited December 2008
    I just soldered the protoshield for my Arduino board. I've soldered before, but it was a long time ago. I was surprised by how good of a job I did. It's perfect. Soldering is fun and easy. Doing so much Internet research and preparation beforehand helped a lot. Also, being able to order all the right equipment helped also.
    I bought a cheap board and a pack of resistors at Radio Shack and practiced a bit before working on the Meggy. It definitely payed off.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I just soldered the protoshield for my Arduino board. I've soldered before, but it was a long time ago. I was surprised by how good of a job I did. It's perfect. Soldering is fun and easy. Doing so much Internet research and preparation beforehand helped a lot. Also, being able to order all the right equipment helped also.
    I bought a cheap board and a pack of resistors at Radio Shack and practiced a bit before working on the Meggy. It definitely payed off.
    I thought about doing that also, but I didn't. However, I do recommend it. Just go to radio shack, buy a pack of resistors, a board with a bunch of holes, solder, and an iron. I have the Weller WLC-100 which is apparently a very popular iron. Hobbyists don't seem to like the Radio Shack irons, but they will probably work for practicing. I got Radio Shack .022" high-tech silver-bearing 62/36/2 rosin-core solder. The rosin-core is important because you won't need separate flux.

With that equipment, you will be able to practice soldering resistors in the holes until you get it just right. Also, this video helped me out.