This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Anime Season Start!

edited January 2009 in Anime
New anime are coming! What are you lookin' at?

Genji Monogatari Senenki - Tale of Genji, a classic. It's been awhile since I've seen an anime adaptation of classic literature. Most of the ones I've seen are stuff like Treasure Island or Super Atragon.

Hajime no Ippo - people seem to like it. I'll have to watch the original series first.

Hetalia - Emily likes it.

Kupuu!! Mamegoma! - I like this sort of thing.

Kurokami the Animation - Sunrise adventure show with US release. Perhaps similar to Wolf's Rain?

Ride Back - Motorcycle/mech show from MadHouse. Also
Ride Back is the directorial debut of Atsushi Takahashi, who has worked on series such as Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Paranoia Agent, and even the Studio Ghibli film Spirited Away (as assistant director).
that's a good resume.

Birdy the Mighty Decode: D - Rym liked it. I just realized this is a sequel of a remake. Seems like anime is starting to get very sequel/remake heavy. I guess it's cool if a series you like gets a sequel. Better than another moe show. However, one of the reasons I like anime series is that they are these contained things that have beginnings middles and ends. If everything starts getting so many sequels, I'll stop caring at some point.

Slayers EVOLUTION-R - I still have to finish Slayers Next and Watch Try and Revolution. Still, good to see they are still rockin' it.

Viper's Creed - Not a moe show.

Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou - I think we watched the first episode of the first season. I don't remember.

Also, Remake of Mazinger Z! Oh noes!

Comments

• I watched Akikan and White Album so far.

Akikan is... its weird. I'm not really sure where its going. I can pretty much only say its weird, I'm really not sure what else I can say about it.

White Album is interesting. It's not what I was expecting from the description. It seems more dramatic then I was expecting it to be, and its got a really interesting presentation/direction to how the story is told. I'll probably going to watch at least a few more episodes.
    edited January 2009
    Also, Remake of Mazinger Z! Oh noes!
    Dream on. Here's version two of that chart:

Why the new thread? We have a perfectly fine topic for new anime seasons!

I had already planned to watch Natsume season 2, first season was enjoyable, so why not pick up the next too. Further I have Kemono no Soja Erin, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, Kurokami, Ride Back and Hetalia on the list to check out. Seen the first episode of Kurokami, and it's not that great. The fight scene is good, though they could've done better, but the lead characters are crap. And supposedly Sunrise already butchered a lot from the source material.

Here, this is Kurokami:

I've also watched Akikan! (bored + a pre-air stream), it can be summed up like this: Blech. Though the male lead can only be described as follows:
    FABULOUS!
    Kupuu!! Mamegoma! - I like this sort of thing.
    Isn't that show something similar to Doreamon?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Meh, I was really looking forward to Mazinger and Konnichi wa Anne.

But just Ippo is good enough for me, is it going to be a remake? or continue where the original ended?
  • Slayers and Ride Back are about the only ones I see myself watching. For the OAV's I would like to check out xxxholic and Ichigo Mashimaro. I watched the series for both and enjoyed them for the most part.
  • Ippo and another season of Major will keep me very happy.
  • I just watched the new Miyazaki film - Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea - In my opinion it was one of his greatest works yet. The story is very Pixar-like. Which makes sense considering Ghibli and Pixar are good friends. I would call it a mix of My Neighbor Totoro, Finding Nemo, and Wall-e. Spectacular film! And here's the kicker: I watched it without subtitles. But I still understood what was going on. Amazing! Can't wait for the US release, which hopefully will be this year.
  • I'm just wondering whether Queen's Blade has something to do with this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24894 ? Same merchandise as basis, spin-off or something else ?
  • I foolishly downloaded Akikan in the vain hope that such a ludicrous premise would give birth to the spiritual successor to Seto No Hanayome (Say what you want, but a) the protagonist had some damn balls on him for once and didn't take getting punted into the sky lightly and B) He suplexed a shark on one occasion and went Kenshiro on more than one occasion).

No, the damn thing played it straighter than a Heterosexual comedian who would normally do observational humor based on gay people who is currently at a gay comedy bar and as such will with hold the gay jokes from a crowd who are gagging for a refreshing change from the norm and want heterosexual-viewed-observational humour on their sexual orientation.
  • No, the damn thing played it straighter than a Heterosexual comedian who would normally do observational humor based on gay people who is currently at a gay comedy bar and as such will with hold the gay jokes from a crowd who are gagging for a refreshing change from the norm and want heterosexual-viewed-observational humour on their sexual orientation.
    What an elegant simile.
  • edited January 2009
    Things I will check out:

Ride Back - From the description, I think this probably has the biggest potential for good animation, plot, and character development. I like the premise a lot.
    Kemono no Soja Erin - I still haven't finished Seirei, but what I saw of it was great.
    Genji Monogatari - A cool adaptation of the tale of Genji? The original harem show!
    White Album - Looks pretty? Don't know much about it, but I like the character designs.
    Hetalia - Ve! This is European History on crack, from the Roman empire up until the modern day. I checked out the cast list, and I don't see Sweden and Finland on there! Where's my Scandinavian bishounen, bitches? I want Su-san! And Norway! (BTW, while I was gone I translated some of the webcomic.) Also: Tsundere UK for the win.

Also: Can someone stop me giggling every time Rym talks about France invading someone during the Napoleonic wars? I don't know.

Edit: Also Birdy the Mighty and Natsume Yuujinchou, but they are sequels to other series I watched a bit of before.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Also, Remake of Mazinger Z! Oh noes!
    Oh mans, this is going to be awesome! Greek mythology and giant robots!
  • Ride Back looks to be right up my alley, I love motorcycles, mechs, and female leads. Yay for 2009!
  • I'm just wondering whether Queen's Blade has something to do with this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24894 ? Same merchandise as basis, spin-off or something else ?
    Such appears to be the case. wiki
    I checked out the cast list, and I don't see Sweden and Finland on there!
    Hey, I don't see the Netherlands on the list either... the eighty-year could be a great running joke, could it not? I do hope Finland comes along. Winter War, hell yeah.
    Also: Can someone stop me giggling every time Rym talks about France invading someone during the Napoleonic wars? I don't know.
    You could try and restrain the fujoshi-Emily inside of you.
  • edited January 2009
    Seriously, though, Sweden and Finland were some of my favorites in the original. If I get a chance to talk to Himaruya-san, I think that I'd recommend a strip on the Winter War. Finland had a weird time during WW2.

Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium have made appearances, but only as character design sketches on the author's blog. Poland and the Baltic States get a lot more attention. I think it is because the author gets more mileage out of Russia scaring them that way. (Poor old Latvia can't stop shaking.)

I also really want to see an Ireland. You could do a lot of interesting stuff with his/her rocky relationship with UK. I picture a girl with long red hair and freckles.
  • I also really want to see an Ireland. You could do a lot of interesting stuff with his/her rocky relationship with UK. I picture a girl with long red hair and freckles.
    Are we talking about Hetalia or Mike Tyson's Punch Out?
  • edited January 2009
    They are similar in a way.

Stereotypical Russia loves his vodka, Stereotypical UK loves his tea and can't cook at all. Finland likes smelly fish and salty licorice.

France is amorous. Japan has a 2D anime fetish.

Is this offensive? Perhaps, but I don't care.
    edited January 2009
    I also really want to see an Ireland. You could do a lot of interesting stuff with his/her rocky relationship with UK. I picture a girl with long red hair and freckles.
    Wait, I thought all the countries were represented by a, somewhat bishounen, male.
    Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium have made appearances, but only as character design sketches on the author's blog.
    Yosh! I know what I'm going to do now.

I really hope the anime adaptation stays true to what you describe Gomily, it's what made me interested.

EDIT: Just watched the first episode of Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou. It's great. I have a slight feeling that the animation is better than the first season's, but that might also be because of the stuff I've recently been watching. (Kaiji is awesome) Also, I prefer the OP and ED on this season. Better songs.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited January 2009
    Wait, I thought all the countries were represented by a, somewhat bishounen, male.
    Nope! Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Taiwan, Seychelles, Lichtenstein and a few others are female. Hungary is my favorite. She beats Prussia up when he tries to get her beloved, Austria. Austria and Hungary were married for a very long time. Himaruya says that Hungary is the manliest of the group, because she and her fry-pan kick a lot of ass.

edit: Here is a picture

• Hell yeah more Mazinger Z!

Everything else looks kinda lame.
  • Whatchutalkinbout foo'?
  • Whatchutalkinbout foo'?
    Talkin' 'bout rust hurricane!
    Can you dig it?
  • edit: Here is a picture
    Already found several pictures of female characters for countries. I think even that character, though in a dress. Was nice art. But Nine can't find a picture of the Netherlands! D: Though the author has decided Neterlands and Belgium are siblings? Bah, Google translate isn't perfect.
    Hell yeah more Mazinger Z!

Everything else looks kinda lame.
    However, everything else is actually coming out this season.
  • Tower of Druaga!! WOOOOOOOOT!!!!

Also Birdy and Shikabane Hime. They made another Minami-Ke? WHY?!?
  • They made another Minami-Ke? WHY?!?
    The same reason why they made a second season of Tower of Druaga. At least the first season staff has been put back on the job iirc.
  • Tower of Druaga at least ended on a cliff hanger. Minami-Ke is just nothing, nothing ever happens, nothing ever will happen.
  • Minami-Ke is just nothing, nothing ever happens, nothing ever will happen.
    Isn't that supposed to be the point? Note, I have not watched a single season of that show. All I know is that it's supposed to be a slice of life anime about three (wacky) sisters, that is all. As for Tower of Druaga, did that first season seriously end on a cliff hanger? SERIOUSLY?
  • Isn't that supposed to be the point? Note, I have not watched a single season of that show. All I know is that it's supposed to be a slice of life anime about three (wacky) sisters, that is all.
    Well the idea is that it's entertaining, which the show completely lacked. I usually enjoy slice of life shows.
    As for Tower of Druaga, did that first season seriously end on a cliff hanger? SERIOUSLY?
    Yes.
  • Well the idea is that it's entertaining, which the show completely lacked. I usually enjoy slice of life shows.
    You can't like every slice of life show. I'm sure it was entertaining for some people, and not entertaining for others. Problem solved.
    Yes.
    My god, that's some horrible asshattery from Gonzo. Milking the few idiots who enjoyed any episode after the first.
  • edited January 2009
    So far the only two shows that I've actually watched of the new season are White Album and Sora o Kakeru Shoujo.

With White Album we have a male protagonist that actually starts out with a girlfriend (what a twist!), but so far through two episodes Touya, the male protagonist, is already being swamped with girls that want him for various reasons. It hasn't played out quite like the typical harem show (and hopefully it won't) but it does show that a relationship between two people whose lives are going in different directions is hard enough to maintain, much less when you throw in other girls. Even though he has feelings for his girlfriend Yuki, he hasn't shied away from any of the other girls' advancements thus far. I'm hoping Touya doesn't turn out to be as indecisive as Makoto from School Days, but all-in-all I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

As for Sora o Kakeru Shoujo; I found it quite enjoyable. Yeah, it possesses a lot of rainbow-haired girls, mecha, and it's in space, but it was lighthearted and I found the character Leopold to be particularly entertaining. I also liked the mecha designs as well.
    Post edited by Ratix on
  • Just finished Hajime no Ippo episode 01, it was kind of a quick recap and setup for the season, the animation is better than the original one, but not quite as good as the OVA's. Still, it looks like its going to be a great show to follow this season.