This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Anime Magazines (and other stuff) do you subscribe to?

edited April 2006 in Anime
I did New Type for a year, but it was expensive! I only subscribe to anime insider now. I get the Wizard emails for figurines and stuff but I haven't bought any yet.

Comments

• I don't subscribe to any magazines. Why waste money on that? The Internet gives me everything I need and more. I used to subscribe to GamePro back in the day. I actually have about ten years worth of GamePro magazines in my closet. They're getting ready for ebay. I would consider subscribing to Shonen Jump, or other comic anthology, in English if it was as thick as the Japanese version and came out weekly, like the Japanese version. Magazines in the US are just a rip-off.
  • edited April 2006
    I used to read NewType, Protoculture Addicts and Shonen Jump. I have since stopped reading all of them. NewType was too expensive for the little info I actually got out of it, Protoculture Addicts was only coming out about 3 or 4 times a year so screw that and S. Jump was just taking up to much room.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Scott is right, for Shonen Jump to really have worked for me it needed to come out more than once a month....plus I was getting really tired of OnePiece, Naruto, DBZ and Yugioh.
  • Well as far as anime magazines there is only one good one here New Type. When it came out I used to get it, but then after a while you see how over prices it is. Most of that stuff you could find on anime news network or anime on dvd. As far as Shonen Jump or Shojo Beat those are pretty good. I just don't like how big they are they don't even fit on a book shelf. I prefer just buying them all separately plus you don't have to read the stuff you don't want too.
  • You think Shone Jump is too big? You obviously haven't seen the Japanese version. It's literally as thick as a phone book and it comes out weekly. You see, you're not actually supposed to keep the Shonen Jumps. The idea is that you read them and then throw them out when you're done. I can only wish that someday we'll have it as good as the Japanese people do.
  • The DVD included with NewType makes it worth it for me-but I only buy it if the DVD sounds good.

Right now the only magazines I'm subscribed to are Skeptic and Skeptical Inquirer. Period!

-Esteban
  • ejdeeyay: Are those magazines worth it? They sound good. Skeptics w00t!
  • Heck yeah the skeptic magazines are worth it. Those magazines are the necessary balance in this world where UFOlogy, creationism, and occult beliefs are so dominant. Skeptic and SI reassure me that the real world can be understood-that there is a proven way to go about understanding our existence and our reality without relying on fairy tales. It's called science. The truth is more interesting than any bizarre made up BS that people cling to or want to believe. It's good to know that there are smart people out there willing to explain why crazy ideologies are wrong.

-Esteban
  • Nyahaha...US newtype is expensive and doesn't give you free notebooks and follders and random stationary drek. I like the Animage, the Animedia, and the Newtype, which I get at a discount at the school CO-OP. And Scott, I still say that to prove to those comic book fans that there really exist thick beautiful phonebooks of manga to hit up Asahiya or Kinokuniya in NY. Get a Wings or something...its shoujo blahblahblah, but its girth is impressive.

P.S. Do you have any toy requests? I saw some mini mini candy-sized gundam seed figures in Osu the other day...the sell regular ones at the Lawson down the street, but these ones were impressively diminuative. They can make even a grumpy Yzak look cute.
  • The anime stuff I subscribe to is GN, and Madman. Madman are the (And pretty much sole) Australian anime distributors. They have a monthly newsletter and podcast.
    Other than that, I have 11 or so anime sites I check daily.

I have listened to other anime stuff over time, but they either annoyed me (Muchly) or fucking spoil something with no warning. Bastards.

Heh, I can get US newtype here too... it just costs me $25 bucks (US$18.60) per issue. As a result, I haven't ever bothered.
  • I am the god of reviving dead threads!!!!!!!!!!!

Superfluous in the age of the Anime News Network, or just the internets.
  • edited January 2009
    I don't subscribe to any magazines currently. When Otaku USA started coming out, I bought it. I loved all the articles and different features they have. Then for a few months I didn't see it at Borders anymore (and I really didn't care because I was tired of paying $12 an issue). Then recently I saw it back on the shelves without the DVD with the price cut nearly in half. I'm definitely back on the bandwagon.

ANN and other anime news websites pretty much pale in comparison to the articles and the awesome writing staff (Patrick Macias, Dave Riley, All of AWO, and a lot of other big names in the anime scene) Otaku USA has, so I really don't have a problem paying $6 an issue every other month.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited January 2009
    Otaku USA is my favorite of the anime mags, but I don't have a subscription. I just get it when I have the cash. I used to be with Shojo Beat, but they took out some things I liked and some ended so I didn't renew.

A lot of the other mags I read are scans since they're from Japan.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The magazine Automobile is the only thing worth subscribing to and it only costs 10.00 a year. Most of the time you can find it for 5.00 if you look around enough.
  • My parents got us a subscription to The Week (not an anime or geek magazine, but it is the only magazine I receive).
  • I only get the New Yorker. I drool over 3D World magazine, though, and Imagine FX. Glossy British animation magazines, I want you but you cost 15 dollars!
  • I subscribe to GameInformer, but only because I get a year subscription with my GameStop card.
  • I still get Nintendo Power, because it tends to get me my gaming news faster than most other methods. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Actually, I recently got 1/2 off a gaming mag subscription via Amazon. Any suggestions? /tangent
    Anyway, Otaku USA is win, and I pick it up when I get the chance.
  • edited January 2009
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Extremely wrong. Nintendo Power usually has last month's news in it. Therefore if that's you're fastest method, you clearly aren't using the internet (yet you are, because you just made that post...)
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I subscribe to Gundam Ace magazine since I am a Gundam and overall mecha/super robot whore. It's mostly filled with many different Gundam stories from the different universes, the ones I actually read (and by "read" I mean "translate rather slowly") is "The Plot to Assassinate Gihren" and "Gundam Unicorn". The shipping costs more than the magazine itself and roughly costs me $14.00 USD per. It sometimes comes with interesting extras, but for the most part it usually has a poster or two (some of them quite large) to put on my wall.
  • I drool over 3D World magazine, though, and Imagine FX. Glossy British animation magazines, I want you but you cost 15 dollars!
    I had a subscription to ImagineFX -- I think it was like $140 for the year. I ended up not even reading most of them. :/
  • I don't subscribe to magazines, since it seems that every time I subscribe to something, I have no money when the subscription renewal comes around. I'd call it a curse if I was superstitious.

As an aside, is it my imagination or has the quality of Newtype substantially dropped? The price stayed the same both times I subscribed, but the magazines themselves seemed thinner, and they stopped putting a free poster in.

Also, as others have said, why kill trees for our news when we have the internet?
  • Also, as others have said, why kill trees for our news when we have the internet?
    Magazines as news are completely obsolete. The only point in getting a magazine now is to get content that you can't get elsewhere (and I'll include art and photography magazines in this, because digital media can't really do justice to this content yet), or sometimes to have something to read on the train or whatever if you aren't an e-booky type.
  • I read Otaku USA, mainly because I am familiar with a lot of their writers and trust their judgement. Plus, it tends to have some pretty awesome artwork and a lot of personality. Unlike other print magazines, each different writer has a different voice. And to top it all off, they aren't afraid to give bad reviews!
  • I read Otaku USA, mainly because I am familiar with a lot of their writers and trust their judgement. Plus, it tends to have some pretty awesome artwork and a lot of personality. Unlike other print magazines, each different writer has a different voice. And to top it all off, they aren't afraid to give bad reviews!
    I love it too. Although I don't subscribe, I pick up issues that have things about series I like. Like the latest one about Spice and Wolf.
  • I just started a subscription to Edge Magazine.