This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon card game

edited October 2006 in Board Games
The only card game I ever really delved into was the Pokemon collectible card game back in the day. Back when I was younger and played it, I thought it was pretty good. I guess I am just wondering what the hardcore card gamers thought of it, was it really that good?

Comments

• It was ok. But I still think Magic is a better game than pokemon, way better.
  • Back in the day I played mostly Money:The Wasting, but I also dabbled in the first set of the Pokemon CCG. You know what, for a CCG it wasn't half-bad. It's definitely a crapton better than some of the more modern CCGs, like the Penny Arcade one. I also think the Pokemon battles lent themselves naturally to a CCG format.

Of course, I haven't played CCGs since the end of 4th edition of M:TG. And after the Mechwarrior minatures game, I've pretty much sworn of all collectible gaming.
  • Same here.
  • I still play the Pokemon CCG... or at least my daughter does.

Considering the amount of Magic knock-offs that came out in the 90's it is a very good game.

I can write up a bigger piece on it if there is interest.
  • Back in the day I played mostly Money:The Wasting
    Haha thats great...
  • I played Magic: The Gathering until I was in 6th grade or so. But recently Spoils has reintroduced my ccg interest. It's a fun game alot like magic but has some twists that make it a little different.
  • I have been a big fan of TCGs since Pokemon came out. That said, I've only played 5 TCGs in my time. Funnily enough, I have never played any game many times; for some reason, I never found enough people to play with. My 2 favorites were YuGiOh and Lord of the Rings. THOSE were good games...
  • Have you played magic?
  • No, never have. I kinda want to, but my parents aren't cool with it (just watch, this will become another Overprotective Parents thread). I'll prolly get into it (And D&D, similar story) in college.
  • No, never have. I kinda want to, but my parents aren't cool with it (just watch, this will become another Overprotective Parents thread). I'll prolly get into it (And D&D;, similar story) in college.
    Are your parents super-religious?
  • No, never have. I kinda want to, but my parents aren't cool with it (just watch, this will become another Overprotective Parents thread). I'll prolly get into it (And D&D;, similar story) in college.
    D+D is worth getting into, Magic is not. It's an OK game in itself, but the cost is not worth it. I might even say it's worse than World of Warcraft. In WoW, the winner is whoever invests the most time. In Magic, the winner is often whoever invests the most money. Yes, they have those draft tournaments and such, but those cost money also. There's a reason they call it Money: The Wasting. I can see the appeal of the collectible game, I used to play them myself, but there are so many great non-collectible games out there, why waste money?
  • edited October 2006
    When I fist got into eurogaming, I looked into Magic: The Gathering. Let's just say that I decided to avoid it like the plague. Apreche is absolutely right - especially if you decide to jump in this late in the game.

I've never played CCGs or RPGs. I must be a rarity on these boards! I started listening to Geek Nights because of the eurogaming coverage.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • My friends got into Magic when it first came out. They made a killing selling those "$2K Black Lotus" cards...

I was in Europe when Magic hit the scene. When I came back to the states "The Dark" was out... I bought into it then (and made a small killing when I got out of it) but I would never get into it again!

It is totally a case of the guy with the most money wins.
  • edited October 2006
    Are your parents super-religious?
    Hah, they are. But oddly enough, the D&D; ban was not totally based on religious conviction, but more on some bad things my mom heard about it. I'm not mad at mom for not letting me play; she's doing it because she doesn't want me to get hurt (plus, I'll be leaving home in a few years...) My dad has nothing against D&D; in itself, any more than he has against anything that takes me away from my studies. He hates things that waste time. I think I might be almost able to convince them to let me play D&D; soon (they've let me buy other RPGs and play Neverwinter Nights).

Magic, on the other hand, was based on (what I believe to be) disinformation and lies, which I inadvertantly told. Let me just say that I would have done well to learn discretion earlier than I did. 10-year-old friends who are non-players and are against Magic are not the best sources of reliable information about the game.
    It is totally a case of the guy with the most money wins.
    But that's how they all work. TCGs are a very good scheme for making money, IMHO.
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • But there are plenty of card based games that aren't Trading Card Games. Ithink that was the point.

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone actually buy those Dungeons and Dragons figurines? Those things are ridiculously expensive and pretty mediocre quality. My boyfriend recently got into DnD and I took one look at those things, declared them ridiculously over-priced and said I would make him some figures. Even if you can't sculpt you could make little cardboard counters or something. Man. D:
  • Steve Jackson Games puts out a set of card counters you can cut-out and use with various game systems.

Yes, the D&D miniatures are terrible as a game-aid. I don't know how they are as a game unto themselves.
  • edited April 2007
    Posted By: AprecheD+D is worth getting into, Magic is not. It's an OK game in itself, but the cost is not worth it. I might even say it's worse than World of Warcraft. In WoW, the winner is whoever invests the most time. In Magic, the winner is often whoever invests the most money. Yes, they have those draft tournaments and such, but those cost money also. There's a reason they call it Money: The Wasting. I can see the appeal of the collectible game, I used to play them myself, but there are so many great non-collectible games out there, why waste money?
    But Magic is the king; it has by far the most cards. I agree that cost is a biggie (why can't they make CCG packs around $1.50? It's CARDSTOCK!), but it's great to play casually. Also, if you like it, try out Magic Workstation; you can play Magic games online for free. You don't have to pay for cards like Magic Online.
    Post edited by Infinity on
  • Also, if you like it, try out Magic Workstation; you can play Magic games online for free. You don't have to pay for cards like Magic Online.
    Wait, why would anyone play a card game online? Also, it looks more like a tool to organize a deck rather than play a game. You also have to pay for the full version.
  • edited April 2007
    Wait, why would anyone play acardgameonline? Also, it looks more like a tool to organize a deck rather than play a game. You also have to pay for the full version.
    I'm just saying it's an option; you don't need the full version at all (it adds a couple of unnecessary things like custom avatars), and the online play is pretty good.
  • WOW, do you people make me feel old. Grew up playing Battletech, and a bunch of German games i can't recall, and got into rpg's with I.C.E. back around 92 or so (7th grade). Got into MTG when it first came out, and didn't play that very long, but i ended up trading a n64 and a copy of ocarina for one of those gigantic 5 row boxes full of mtg cars from limited, unlimited, arabian whatever, and antiquites. I've played around with building decks with the card over the years, and I've realised i have enough rare cards that i can make completely yellow decks (yes, yellow, from the arabian whatever series), or completely colorless decks (no colored lands involved). I just don't play. Found out last week that my girlfriend used to play mtg, so I showed her the box of cards, and she almost literally shit herself. It was pretty hot to see her geeking out over them. Never tried the pokemon ccg, but i did play the gameboy verion of the ccg.
  • edited April 2007
    WOW, do you people make me feel old. Grew up playing Battletech, and a bunch of German games i can't recall, and got into rpg's with I.C.E. back around 92 or so (7th grade). Got into MTG when it first came out, and didn't play that very long, but i ended up trading a n64 and a copy of ocarina for one of those gigantic 5 row boxes full of mtg cars from limited, unlimited, arabian whatever, and antiquites. I've played around with building decks with the card over the years, and I've realised i have enough rare cards that i can make completely yellow decks (yes, yellow, from the arabian whatever series), or completely colorless decks (no colored lands involved). I just don't play. Found out last week that my girlfriend used to play mtg, so I showed her the box of cards, and she almost literally shit herself. It was pretty hot to see her geeking out over them. Never tried the pokemon ccg, but i did play the gameboy verion of the ccg.
    Yeah, they've gotten a lot better at making them (you should see the creative stuff coming in the new block TimeSpiral, featuring old reprints, new color-shifted cards, and sort of preview cards from the future... neat stuff for a fan.
  • It's definitely a crapton better than some of the more modern CCGs, like the Penny Arcade one.
    You know, to be honest, the Universal Fighting System card game isn't really all that bad. The problem with Control Checks were easily solved with Foundations. If your card requires 3 control, and your Control Check was a 1, you can just tap 2 Foundations and the attack worked. It's just like paying to play a card with Mana/Land card in Magic, though the cost to play a card fluctuates at times.

I found it fairly enjoyable, though I DID play the Street Fighter variation of UFS, not the Penny Arcade one. It should be the exact same system, though.