This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tea Drinkers

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
I hate coffee. Hate it. However, I have discovered over my past few semesters that I love tea. How many of you guys are tea drinkers out there and what kind of tea do you guys drink? Are any of you exclusive tea drinkers or do some of you drink that bitter bean piss called coffee?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I will drink coffee every once in awhile but I drink tea pretty regularly. I like to drink a good black tea. Green and white teas are okay. I don't like early grey it taste like you're drinking a flower. Yeah teas are great.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited January 2009
    Start the day with a cup of coffee with no cream and one sugar, end it with a mint tea. Occasionally, I'll substitute the dark roast with chai tea. I love the stuff, but I can't have it every day.

Altogether, though, I'm not too picky with teas. I'll drink anything, but plain green tea is probably my least favorite.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I love sweet iced tea. I've been drinking it ever since I was little, and it's definitely stuck and I drink it regularly. As for brands, the normal Lipton iced tea. Green tea is good, but I prefer sweet iced tea. Some honey & chamomile is good every now and then, too.
  • I don't like drinking coffee by itself, even with the cream and sugar, I just don't like the taste, so I mix it with milk. At least I'm getting some calcium with it. I use to drink tea most of the time while I was still in college. Mint, Cranberry, Lemon, I think Bigalow was the brand I usually picked. But I drink mostly stuff by Arizona now. I don't like the taste of Chinese Tea, they taste watered down.
  • I come from a long line of tea drinkers on my mom's side and a long line of coffee drinkers on my dad's. I ended up acquiring the taste for tea.

Hot, it's either Earl Grey or Lipton. Cold, homemade unsweetened or Arizona. I wish they sold more unsweetened canned iced teas.
  • Hot, Russian Earl Grey. Much rather normal Earl Grey with freshly squeezed citron juice, which doesn't need sugar at all.
    Cold, something citrus-ish and very sweet.
  • I usually always prefer homemade, but if I chose to buy some bottled/canned tea, I'll usually go with Arizona or the Lipton teas in the glass bottles.
  • Iced tea is nice, but I usually go for bubble milk tea.

Really, I'm a coffee person.
  • Being English I don't have much choice in the matter of liking or wanting to drink tea. Usually just home-brewed tea like PG Tips or something.

Milk, Hot water and a tea bag is just fine with an occasional tea-spoon of sugar.
  • I only drink coffee while I'm at work, but when I'm home I usually have a cup or two of hot Chai spice black tea. I think it's absolutely delicious with a little bit of milk and sugar added to tone down the strong cinnamon flavor.
  • Tea, Earl grey, hot.
  • Either Coffee, no sugar, no cream; green/jasmine tea no milk, no sugar; or coffee with milk.
  • Being a Washingtonian, I'm an avid coffee drinker. I have to have vanilla, splenda, and milk with my coffee. Over the last few months, I've realized that I at least need one cup of coffee or latte once a day, or I feel that I won't be able to function whatsoever.

I'm thinking of taking a break from getting lattes, but just sticking with brewed coffee for a while.

I've also thought about trying tea as well. I've never been a big fan of tea. I was also forced to make iced tea for my family, and the smell of the powder mix was just atrocious. I still despise iced tea. I can drink some raspberry iced tea, but the flavor of the raspberry and tea can't be too overbearing.

I also sometimes drink the tea they serve at sushi bars, but mostly to cleanse the palette.

I got a coupon to try out those new Tazo teas at Starbucks. I got the London Fog Tea Latte which consists of full leaf black tea with citrusy Italian Bergamot and a hint of lavender. Sweetened with vanilla syrup and topped with steamed milk and velvety foam. I added extra vanilla because I just love vanilla. I have to say, the tea is pretty good. I can really smell and taste the lavender.

I might try the other teas there as well.
  • Tea, Earl grey, hot.
    Has anyone ever really known anyone else to drink Earl Grey tea iced? Saying, "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." is kind of like saying, "Beer. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Cold."

Earl Grey is the only tea flavor that those stupid Flavia machines have that tastes like it's not recycled dishwater.
    I hate coffee.
    You're not supposed to like it. It's not there to be liked. It's there to keep you going when you want to stop. Hating it sometimes makes it work even better. I average about a pot a day, and I'll drink those last bitter dregs down, knowing that I'm going to gag on the grounds, and I'll hate it, but I'll do it anyway because I know it'll keep me going. It's a utilitarian caffeine delivery system, nothing else; and unlike many things in this world, it actually works.

We used to have something that would keep you going through the workday and that was actually enjoyable. It was called a cigarette.
  • Being English I don't have much choice in the matter of liking or wanting to drink tea. Usually just home-brewed tea like PG Tips or something.

Milk, Hot water and a tea bag is just fine with an occasional tea-spoon of sugar.
    Yea same here.... yum tea
  • Has anyone ever really known anyone else to drink Earl Grey tea iced?
    It's wonderful. Properly made iced tea is heavenly.
    "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."
    If he's talking to the computer, he's probably overriding some default behavior. If he just said "Tea," it would probably give him Lipton. If he said "Tea, Earl Grey," maybe it doesn't come hot enough, or maybe in the future, iced tea is the default. He's specifying three specific parameters. I'd probably say something like "Coffee, Ethiopian dark, hot, black," in his shoes.
    ou're not supposed to like it. It's not there to be liked.
    Good coffee is to be enjoyed, nay, savored, much like good alcohol.
  • edited January 2009
    Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats just on tea. It is FANTASTIC. I'll post the video later but for now I'm at work.

EDIT:
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • edited January 2009
    "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."
    If he's talking to the computer, he's probably overriding some default behavior. If he just said "Tea," it would probably give him Lipton. If he said "Tea, Earl Grey," maybe it doesn't come hot enough, or maybe in the future, iced tea is the default. He's specifying three specific parameters. I'd probably say something like "Coffee, Ethiopian dark, hot, black," in his shoes.
    Maybe I'm not as well-versed in all the types of tea drinking variations there are, but I'm pretty sure that iced Earl Grey is pretty rare. If a person wants Earl Grey, it's pretty safe to assume they want it hot.
    You're not supposed to like it. It's not there to be liked.
    Good coffee is to be enjoyed, nay, savored, much like good alcohol.
    Normally you don't get good coffee. Normally you get sludge and you drink it and go on. Similarly, you normally don't get good alcohol. However, PBR will get you just as drunk as Dom Perignon. Working people don't usually have time to "enjoy" things.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited January 2009
    HungryJoe, you work near one of the best tea stores I've seen. I only wish that I worked near a place that has Bento boxes for lunch.

I find that Specialteas has very good prices. They have given me excellent customer service. The reviews are very helpful, if not somewhat snobbish.

The trick to ditching those tea bags is to find strainers with VERY small holes. There are so many loose-leaf tea products on the market that allow bits of tea to migrate into your drink.

I had a chance to get the Zarafina brewer for about $40, but it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • If he's talking to the computer, he's probably overriding some default behavior. If he just said "Tea," it would probably give him Lipton. If he said "Tea, Earl Grey," maybe it doesn't come hot enough, or maybe in the future, iced tea is the default. He's specifying three specific parameters. I'd probably say something like "Coffee, Ethiopian dark, hot, black," in his shoes.
  • That reminds me of the computer in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that couldn't uderstand why the monkey man wanted dried leaves boiled.
  • That reminds me of the computer inThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxythat couldn't uderstand why the monkey man wanted dried leaves boiled.
    "With milk," said Arthur.
    "Squeezed from a cow?" the computer responded.
    But yes, I have to say, I like coffee better than tea in most circumstances. The only time I prefer tea is if the only place nearby that has coffee or coffee-like things is Dunkin Donuts. Their coffee is too lightly roasted for my tastes.
  • Has anyone ever really known anyone else to drink Earl Grey tea iced?
    Myself, all the time. When I make iced tea, it's practically the default. But I realize that's a bit unusual; maybe Picard just likes his extra hot.

As for my hot tea preferences: I really like pu-erhs and good masala chai*. Oolongs are also really good; I have one labeled kali cha that's fantastic, but I'm not sure if that's a widely recognized variety name or just a label my tea store slapped on it. Earl Grey and genmaicha (Japanese green tea with toasted rice) are also up there.

*Pedantic aside: "Chai" simply means tea; "chai tea" is totally redundant. The drink made of black tea, spices, and milk that is often known in the U.S. as chai is properly called masala chai.
  • Earl Gray + Orange Juice + Cinnamon + Sugar + Water = Awesome iced tea
  • Interesting side note, before World War 2 Americans primarily drank green tea. In fact, the original recipie for sweet tea called for green tea. It wasn't the war that the green tea supply was cut off and Americans were forced to drink black tea imported from India.
  • I've been a long time tea drinker. I generally go through a whole pot when I eat at a Chinese restaurant. I drink anything but fruit teas.

Recently, I started drinking black coffee for enjoyment. When it's done well, it tastes like dark chocolate to me. Otherwise it's bitter sour grossness.
    HungryJoe, you work nearone of the best tea stores I've seen.I only wish that I worked near a place that hasBento boxes for lunch.
    It's an ok place. I'd say it's a decent place for tea.
    Interesting side note, before World War 2 Americans primarily drank green tea. In fact, the original recipie for sweet tea called for green tea. It wasn't the war that the green tea supply was cut off and Americans were forced to drink black tea imported from India.
    I doubt that statement is true. I know for certain that Americans have been drinking black tea from India before the Boston Tea Party.

• *Pedantic aside: "Chai" simply means tea; "chai tea" is totally redundant. The drink made of black tea, spices, and milk that is often known in the U.S. as chai is properly called masala chai.
    Guess I'll say "masala chai" from now on. Sounds better actually.
  • I doubt that statement is true. I know for certain that Americans have been drinking black tea from India before the Boston Tea Party.
    While they may have been drinking black tea, it certainly was the norm until the early 20th century (at least when it came to iced tea).
  • Any additional recipes/recommendation for iced tea? Adam and I drink so much iced tea that I got a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker (which works great for teas that need to be brewed and not just steeped). Some come out bitter, though.
    We are both addicted to iced barley tea at the moment, but we would love to mix it up.
  • Oddly, I dislike all coffee and most tea, I only like cheapo ice tea (usually those powder mixes) and can't stand actual ice tea. I live my life generally avoiding caffeine except that found in Red bull and diet soda.