This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Circuit City is going out of business (all stores)

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
Circuit City is going out of business

The only good thing I can say about circuit city was that they actually put their stuff on clearance, but there labor record sucks (they fired all their talented sales people a few years ago and there store and product layout sucked). However this may cause me to get that big screen TV a bit earlier at liquidation prices....

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Well, if it's anything like the Media Play liquidation, it's nothing to get too excited about.

They start out by having a long period of time where all of the stuff is at a very small discounts. Very little product moves. The only things they will sell are the kinds of things that usually never go on sale, like Apple products, Wiis, brand new video games, etc.

The next step they put out slightly bigger than usual discounts, but nothing to write home about. Now all the good merchandise starts to clean out. The thing is, the prices are no better than what you can get shopping around online. All the normal people, though, they come and buy whatever they can. I hope that the bad economy changes this, and the good merchandise makes it to the next round of discounts.

In the final step, the store has crazy awesome discounts, but no merchandise. The Media Play near us didn't even have any worthwhile anime DVDs left by the time the discount got to 40% or 50%. I think I got a really bad Atari remix DS game for $5. The worst part is that the Media Plays sold all of their books in one lump to somebody else. So just when the sale was getting good, you weren't allowed to buy books anymore.

One thing to look out for when a store liquidates is that they sell all the fixture. If you are looking for DVD racks, shelves, or end-caps, you are going to get some awesomeness.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you're in the market for any movies (I keep a list of Movies To Buy), you might want to check out their selection. The DVDs at my local store weren't marked as discounted when I went a few weeks ago, but when we got to the checkout we found out they were actually cheaper than the marked price.
  • One more thing is that truly high-end merchandise never gets a real discount. If you want some run of the mill TV, you can probably get a deal. If you want a Pioneer Kuro, good luck with that. Do they even sell them at Circuit City?
  • You know me, I'm a highest quality off brand type person.
    You know me. I either get the best of the best, the cheapest possible piece of crap that gets the job done, or I get nothing.
    You know me. I either get the best of the best, the cheapest possible piece of crap that gets the job done, or I get nothing.
    Really, never a middle ground?
  • You know him...
  • Yeah... I just like to poke the Rubin-Troll
  • Really, never a middle ground?
    Well, it depends on your point of view. For example, my computer is definitely not the cheapest crap. It also isn't the best of the best, it's not a supercomputer. Even though that supercomputer would be "better", it's not practical. The $1,000 computer is more than fast enough for anything I do, to this day. I fully expect it to last me a few more years. So while in an absolute measure it isn't the best of the best, it is pragmatically the best because it meets every single need I have. A more expensive "better" computer wouldn't have made a difference in my life, except it would have cost me more money.
  • The thing is a high quality (well researched) off brands are sometimes nearly as good as the high end models but usually significantly cheaper. So I usually try and find a off brand that is reliable but also significantly cheaper then the brand. Why spend the extra money on a name.
  • edited January 2009
    The thing is a high quality (well researched) off brands are sometimes nearly as good as the high end models but usually significantly cheaper. So I usually try and find a off brand that is reliable but also significantly cheaper then the brand. Why spend the extra money on a name.
    There's no reason to spend money on a name. If you care what brand is on your products, you've got a problem. There is a reason to spend money on quality. It just so happens that every product you buy these days has a brand on it. The brand that happens to be on the best computer monitors right now is Dell. The brand that happens to be on the best TVs right now is Pioneer. What's funny is that the actual screens in the Pioneer TVs are made by Sharp.

Also, with something like TVs, it is very difficult to judge what is better. Not only is it subjective, but the few objective specifications you have to go on are completely misleading. Stats like contrast ratio are effectively made up. Even if you go to look at a bunch of screens in-person, in the store they configure them with different settings than you will use in your home. Those different color settings make everything look super bright and super vivid. It's really impressive in a store, but anyone smart realizes the colors are completely wrong. Before you buy a TV, make sure you take the remote and change the settings to see what it will actually look like in your house. The thing is, the Kuro is insanely better than any other screen I've ever seen. Using real measurements, and not bs measurements, it has 3 to 4 times better contrast than any other TV ever. It's not an insignificant difference.

See for yourself.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hm. I know a guy who works (well, I guess worked) for Circuit City; I'll have to see if he can hook me up with any wicked deals.
  • I have a friend who worked at CompUSA last summer and then at Circuit City this summer. Both stores suffered from failage shortly after he left. Upon discovering this, there were many laughs.
  • I have a friend who worked at CompUSA last summer and then at Circuit City this summer. Both stores suffered from failage shortly after he left. Upon discovering this, there were many laughs.
    If your friend gets a new job, let me know where.
  • This saddens me a bit. Circuit city is one of our partner stores and I would get discounts from all my purchases there.
  • See for yourself.
    How much more black can you get than that? None. None more black.
  • See for yourself.
    How much more black can you get than that? None. None more black.
    I WANT MORE BLACK!
  • Circuit City deserves to go out of business. Electronics are products that typically have the same prices from store to store, but at Circuit City they were always 20 to 40 percent overpriced. I predict that even liquidation will only drop prices down to Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy prices.
  • That's pretty surprising. Circuit City was kinda like a crappy Best Buy. And Best Buy is already crappy.
  • So, they're basically turning it from your traditional electronics store, and more into an Argos for computer accessories.

You know, that's actually a pretty good idea.
  • Churba said:

So, they're basically turning it from your traditional electronics store, and more into an Argos for computer accessories.

What's an Argos?
  • Churba said:

So, they're basically turning it from your traditional electronics store, and more into an Argos for computer accessories.

What's an Argos?
    It's what's called a Catalog store - They keep no(or at least, an absolute minimum of) floor stock, just demonstration stock. When you order, you find the item and item number in the catalog, write it down on a form(be it paper or electronic) and then when you pay, the item is picked from the warehouse and bought out to you.

It combines the advantages of a brick and mortar store - Primarily the try before you buy and get-it-right-now aspects - with the lower overheads and efficiency of online shopping, allowing you to price your products lower than other B&M retailers, and due to deals with distributors and/or manufacturers, and sometimes cheaper than online retailers, due to the lack of shipping costs.
  • I do have to say, I miss RadioShack. It was really convenient for "I need some random components as soon as possible". Now I pretty much have to order everything online, which I'm not against, but it means I have to wait a while to do anything. Amazon needs to start selling individual components. They only really sell stuff in bulk right now.
  • So its going to be computer IKEA? I'm ok with that.

I really wish Radioshack had stuck around. They went too mainstream just trying to sell phones and shit when they really should have stuck more with their roots and embraced the whole "maker" movement and sold lots of Raspberry Pi's and Arduinos.
  • I would prefer Build a PC Workshop to CompKEA but I guess that's just me thinking there are humans out there who still actually want custom-built towers and not all-integrated-all-the-time streamlined computing products.
  • edited January 2016
    I was suddenly reminded of this old video, which explains how CC went bankrupt in the first place.

Post edited by Daikun on
  • So its going to be computer IKEA? I'm ok with that.

I really wish Radioshack had stuck around. They went too mainstream just trying to sell phones and shit when they really should have stuck more with their roots and embraced the whole "maker" movement and sold lots of Raspberry Pi's and Arduinos.

SWATrous said:

I would prefer Build a PC Workshop to CompKEA but I guess that's just me thinking there are humans out there who still actually want custom-built towers and not all-integrated-all-the-time streamlined computing products.

I believe what both of you want is a Microcenter
  • edited February 2016
    Micro Center is great! They have everything you could ever want and a designated section for building your own PC.

It's a shame they have bad locations, though. It's a half-hour drive for me to get to the closest location. If they opened their stores closer to residential areas instead of alongside a long stretch of road, they'd be raking in mad cash.
    Post edited by Daikun on