This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu 8.10

2»

Comments

• If you don't see it there, I would guess you need to create a new connection with pppconfig or gnome ppp, but I've never had to do that before, so I don't know exactly how it would work.
    I've tried using pppconfig but there was nothing that I could use to connect. I downloaded gnome ppp in windows but when I put it in ubuntu I couldn't get in installed. When I tried to look at ubuntu's repository I had to be connected to install anything. I even tried tethering my laptop to my desktop and share the connection but it was to slow. I think I'm just fucked.
  • I've tried using pppconfig but there was nothing that I could use to connect. I downloaded gnome ppp in windows but when I put it in ubuntu I couldn't get in installed. When I tried to look at ubuntu's repository I had to be connected to install anything. I even tried tethering my laptop to my desktop and share the connection but it was to slow. I think I'm just fucked.
    I think the problem is that the modem in your laptop is some sort of weird winmodem or something.
  • Yes, if you are having trouble accessing your modem you should definitely double-check the drivers you are using.
    If you just upgraded from Hardy I don't see why there would be a problem, but if you meant that you freshly installed 8.10, there is a chance that your modem is missing a driver.
  • The upgrade downgrades you from Flash 10 to Flash 9 so you will need to upgrade again. Took me a while to figure that out.
  • Any Wubi Hibernation support yet?
  • So I finally got fed up with Windows enough to give the Ubuntu a try. I booted the live CD and everything worked on my laptop which is great so I now have a dual boot on the laptop and again on my media box. I was very happy with how easy it was to get everything installed initially. My wife started using it as well and she's barely noticed the change outside of increased performance.

The only con I've had so far is that HD media isn't playing very well. It looks like it may be a driver issue because it's maxing out my processor quite a bit more than windows does so maybe the video card drivers aren't up to 1080p snuff. It's perfect for the laptop though! Consider us converts!
  • edited January 2009
    Ah, The reason for the slowdown may be you are trying to run HD media while 3D effects are turned on. If you download an applet called "Compiz Fusion Icon" or just "Fusion Icon" you can use it to switch back to the non-3d desktop which will reduce overhead. Here is a quick how-to.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The only con I've had so far is that HD media isn't playing very well. It looks like it may be a driver issue because it's maxing out my processor quite a bit more than windows does so maybe the video card drivers aren't up to 1080p snuff. It's perfect for the laptop though! Consider us converts!
    Omnutia's solution should probably work, but video card drivers should not be a problem. At least, not if you are using the proprietary drivers. A more likely scenario is that the program and the codecs used preform worse than what you used under Windows.
  • edited January 2009
    Mplayer usually gives best performance, when you can get it to work. Totem (the default player) is the most reliable but doesn't do such a good job of rendering and VLC 9 has the best compatibility with subtitles.
  • VLC 9 has the best compatibility with subtitles.
    WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAH-breathe-HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAHAAHAHAHHAHAAA!
    Mplayer usually gives best performance, when you can get it to work.
    It's shit-easy to get it playing. Just freaking type 'mplayer ' and then the file location of your video. Presto, done, it's playing, it will even support the majority of file formats and codecs without having to install anything else. As for giving best performance, true, however, if cosmicenema was using, say, the CoreAVC codec, then it becomes pretty darned difficult for mplayer to perform at an equal level. Or any other media player for that matter. That CoreAVC codec is amazing.
  • edited January 2009
    VLC 9 has the best compatibility with subtitles.
    *Stupidity* Oh, that's interesting, it appears we have varying results.
    I generally have MPlayer crap out on me about half the time and, until you get used to it, the command line version is far from user friendly.
    edited January 2009
    VLC 9 has the best compatibility with subtitles.
    WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAH-breathe-HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAHAAHAHAHHAHAAA!
    I generally have MPlayer crap out on me about half the time and, until you get used to it, the command line version is far from user friendly.
    We don't have ANY varying results. VLC 0.9 (not the decimal point) does not have the best 'compatibility' with subtitles. Not at all. They started using FFMpeg so that their software might improve before version 1.0. So now they have subtitle support that's finally on par with mplayer. Your failing with mplayer is entirely your own fault. The command line is not hard at fucking all. You type 'mplayer', followed by a space, followed by your video file. And you know what, it plays! Let me guess, you tried mplayer by using the rotting RC2 GUI version in the repository, did you not? If you want to use a GUI for mplayer, at least use one that is not horribly outdated and was not a side project tacked onto the rest of the mplayer development. The Smplayer front end is supposed to be a good one, but that isn't saying much compared to how easy it is to use the command line for mplayer.
    To start playing a file, open up a terminal and type mplayer [videofile]. To pause playback at any moment, just hit the spacebar, to unpause hit the spacebar again. If you, for any reason, wish to quit playing the video, just hit the Esc key.
    EDIT:
    Post edited by ... on
  • So putting a file with a program and it not working is in someway my fault? That's pretty typical of Nine's logic.
    Just stick with VLC or Totem.
  • So putting a file with a program and it not working is in some way my fault? That's pretty typical of Nine's logic.
    Not my logic. I said that using a buggy, incomplete, most basic GUI that has been compiled into the program (gmplayer is not put with mplayer you moron), is a stupid idea at best. Thus I advised, that if you so desperately want to use a GUI, use one that is separate, like SMplayer. Compiling gmplayer into the mplayer binary is indeed not your fault, I never said such a thing. Using it however is your fault. As is spreading half-lies and bad suggestions concerning VLC. Like I said in my previous post, VLC finally started using FFMpeg, something mplayer has been using for ages. Why do you think this is? Because it actually fucking works great, and you know what? The same developers working on FFMpeg, work on mplayer! If you don't run Windows, use mplayer. If you run Windows, use CCCP.
  • To wrap up, I'd recommend using VLC. SMPlayer makes a decent fall back but VLC us all round more reliable. If you are hurting for CPU power then you may want to learn the command line version.
  • you may want to learn the command line version.
    You're doing it wrong mate.
  • I'm just using boxee for almost everything these days.
  • If you run Windows, use CCCP.
    I love CCCP.
    edited January 2009
    I'm just using boxee for almost everything these days.
    I haven't tried it recently, but when I tried it on Linux initially it rant horribly. Has it advanced to the point where it just uses mplayer for video playback?
    I love CCCP.
    It makes even WMP look like an improvement over VLC.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I haven't tried it recently, but when I tried it on Linux initially it rant horribly. Has it advanced to the point where it just uses mplayer for video playback?
    Boxee on Linux is missing, features like Netflix, because that isn't supported on Linux yet. The only real reason to use Boxee is if you have the PC in the living room, and you need to control it with a simpler user interface. Also, Boxee can play anything XBMC can play, which is anything. It's actually probably the only video player better than Mplayer because it doesn't need to be told to switch subtitle tracks or anything. It just knows.
  • It makes even WMP look like an improvement over VLC.
    MPC only looks like old WMP.
  • I tried Boxee but it ran kinda slowly and crashed whenever I tried forwarding. I'll give it a miss until it's less beta.