This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama is President! Rainbows and Kittens for All!

edited January 2009 in Politics
Woooooo!

Comments

• He said everything I wanted him to say. The only test that remains is whether or not he acts upon what he has said.
  • edited January 2009
    O-BA-MA
    O-BA-MA
    O-BA-MA

Also, did anyone else almost jump for joy when, while talking about the various religions that make up the USA, he mentioned non-believers?
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Can I have Sea Kittens instead? They are much tastier and don't get fur stuck in my teeth.
  • Aww hells yeah. Get some.
    Awesome, but the presidential limo is kinda ugly.
  • That was his best speech yet. And he had some amazing ones to live up to.
  • I was impressed when after taking the oath, he did not reveal himself to be a terrorist or the anti-christ like all those republican e-mails told me would happen.
  • I was impressed when after taking the oath, he did not reveal himself to be a terrorist or the anti-christ like all those republican e-mails told me would happen.
    He's just luring us into a false sense of security. Soon enough he'll reveal his secret jihad.
  • Also, did anyone else almost jump for joy when, while talking about the various religions that make up the USA, he mentioned non-believers?
    I gotta admit I went omg he's talking about me!
  • Also cool, if you haven't seen it yet: the new whitehouse.gov
  • Also, did anyone else almost jump for joy when, while talking about the various religions that make up the USA, he mentioned non-believers?
    I gotta admit I went omg he's talking about me!
    I'm glad he remembered to mention us atheists.

Maybe one day we'll be able to have an openly atheistic president, one who says that there is no nobler goal than service to his fellow man and not some invisible sky wizard.
  • A lot of traditions being broken, but just as many being respected. I didn't care for Aretha Franklin's singing, but the John Williams quartet was epic.

I just wonder what Barack and Bush talked about during their limo ride over. "I left ya a big steaming present on the master bedroom bed. hehe."
  • Aretha is definitely past her prime. It was significant that she got to sing, though.

I actually thought the Williams quartet was meh, but that's because I'm not a clarinet fan.
  • I actually thought the Williams quartet was meh, but that's because I'm not a clarinet fan.
    Clarinets are awesome! I only say this because I played the clarinet throughout middle and high school.

I enjoyed the quartet. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what song John Williams used in his piece. It's the melody when the clarinet starts his solo. It's repeated several times afterward.
  • I enjoyed the quartet. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what song John Williams used in his piece.
    That's a very famous motif from a well known work. It was telling that Williams chose it. ^_~
  • That's a very famous motif from a well known work. It was telling that Williams chose it. ^_~
    Well I figured out where he got it from. I just didn't know the name, even though it was obvious. ^^;;
  • It was an arangement of Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland.
  • It reminded me a lot of the German anthem.
    I watched the inauguration with about 50 people from my department arranged in a circle around 6 screens. It was a sweet setup since you could see everyone.

When he mentioned non-believers people cheered.
  • I saw the whole thing when it was projected onto the screen in my school's auditorium, and let me tell you that was a moment I won't forget for a long time.

God Bless America
  • I sincerely hope he is the best president I've ever seen. The Dow didn't do him any favors today by dropping 350 points.
    You should have heard the applause on the mall during the speech. People were moved to tears. We saw one woman sobbing, "It's over. Thank God it's over."

It was a physically demanding day, but I would not trade it for seeing it on TV.
  • Fuck. I missed it, didn't I? Fuck.
  • It was a good speech. I'm with Rym though, hope he delivers.
    You should have heard the applause on the mall during the speech. People were moved to tears. We saw one woman sobbing, "It's over. Thank God it's over."

It was a physically demanding day, but I would not trade it for seeing it on TV.
    Sorrow, I wish I could have made it, instead I had to deal with a really annoying day at work :-p
  • We watched it at work, and all of us were really moved by the speech (must take into consideration that none of my co-workers are from the US, and in fact a lot of them hate the US) we all have high hopes for Obama and we really wish he can help the US first so they can later help us out.
  • It was a physically demanding day, but I would not trade it for seeing it on TV.
    I don't know, it looked mighty impressive in HD.
  • Will they be replaying it in the afternoon?
  • edited January 2009
    Like Thaed, I have high hopes. It's a tremendous milestone to have elected an African-American president. Now he needs to prove the naysayers wrong. I'd like to see that.

How far away from the president were you Joe? You say you wouldn't have seen it on TV, but unless you brought a telescope, didn't you do just that? Or did you for some bizarre reason ignore all of the jumbo tv screens that were set up along the mall?

I understand wanting to be part of the crowd, though. It's not for me, but I can definitely see the appeal. I try to avoid frotterism - especially at below freezing temperatures. ;-)
    Post edited by Kilarney on