This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Swag time

edited October 2006 in GeekNights
Alright, it's almost time for us to be making some GeekNights swag. Who knows when it will actually be available? Not me, but it's time to start thinking about it. First off, we're definitely going to make a GeekNights Season 1 DVD. Expect that to be available in a few months. Second, I guess we should make some t-shirts. Let's think of ideas! I've put some of our ideas in a poll, but I mostly want to hear your ideas. We aren't the ones paying for and wearing the shirts, you are. So it's up to you to decide what goes on them.

Comments

• You can't do dumb shit 10 times!
  • edited October 2006
    Lets do this means "Last uns es machen/tun" in German ;) But it isn't as catchy. If you meant to say Lets do this....
    "Bewegung, oder wir schlagen sie" means "Move, or we will win/we will hit them"
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Well, seeing as I would want to be able to wear this shirt in public, I'd kinda rule out "Let's do dumb shit." I'm teetering between "Let's do this," which is one of the main phrases of the show, and "You can't ___ 10 _____," which could be ridiculously hilarious with the right phrasing.
  • edited October 2006
    Lets do this means "Last uns es machen/tun" in German ;) But it isn't as catchy. If you meant to say Lets do this....
    "Bewegung, oder wir schlagen sie" means "Move, or we will win/we will hit them"
    We know exactly what it means. It is something we picked up in college. A German board game designer was asked what to do when players take too long on their turn. He said that when he plays games with his friends they say "Bewegung, order wir schlagen sie" to threaten people to hurry up. If you ever play a game with us, and you take too long on your turn, we will all start saying bewegung to make you hurry up. This was explained in an early episode of GeekNights.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2006
    OK :) And I agree with Uglyfred. I think the better one is "You can't ___ 10 _____".

Maybe you could add Geek Nights on the back of the t-shirt around the collar.

Edit: or have rdrr and a donut under it.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Alright, it's almost time for us to be making some GeekNights swag.
    Man... you guys are awesome. Swag, or "stuff we all get" is a great promotional tool. After all, giving out free stuff is a great way to get your name out there. Who would have thought that you would be so cool as to start giving out t-shirts to everyone? You guys rock!
  • Who would have thought that you would be so cool as to start giving out t-shirts to everyone? You guys rock!
    Next time, use the dictionary instead of an encyclopedia.

Swag
  • edited October 2006
    Damn dictionary. I suppose if there is ambiguity, you'll be erring on the side of the listener, no?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    Front: You can't make four podcasts a week!
    Back: We can. GeekNights. The podcast for geeks.

If it sounds lame, please say so. I wouldn't be surprised, as I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Oh, ans the LDDS t-shirt should be the FRC tee instead of the GN tee.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited October 2006
    Personally, I like the "let's do this."
    Post edited by Rym on
  • "You can't not listen to 10 GeekNights podcasts!"-forgive how horribly lame I know that was, but I think the You cant_10_ is a good option, considering it's in every show pretty much.

"You can't pwn 10 n00bs!" - I like this one. When a random person sees "pwn" and "n00bs", they will automatically think "Geek". When a Geek sees the above words, their ears will perk up like meercats and they will be hooked instantly. That is, assuming you guys don't mind putting out a shirt that can be called a promotional device.

MOtU: It sounds lame. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't also sound good. I have most certainly seen worse slogans. But I would say that that gets across the message pretty well.

Let's do this is cool too.
  • "You can't not listen to 10 GeekNights podcasts!"-forgive how horribly lame I know that was, but I think the You cant_10_ is a good option, considering it's in every show pretty much.

"You can't pwn 10 n00bs!" - I like this one. When a random person sees "pwn" and "n00bs", they will automatically think "Geek". When a Geek sees the above words, their ears will perk up like meercats and they will be hooked instantly. That is, assuming you guys don't mind putting out a shirt that can be called a promotional device.

MOtU: It sounds lame. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't also sound good. I have most certainly seen worse slogans. But I would say that that gets across the message pretty well.

Let's do this is cool too.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised.

Your 'You can't pwn 10 n00bs" isn't bad, though. Nonetheless, I'm sure there are some better ones out there.
  • I voted for "You can't ___ 10 ____!", but if there is any way to work in the phrase "Got Damn!" that would be awesome.
  • What about something along the lines of "Freaking the Squares"?

I also, ya know, really like the, ya know, "You can't ___ 10 ____!", ya know?
  • I think "Got Damn!" and "I also, ya know, really like the, ya know?" etc.
  • edited October 2006
    How about "1|= U <4|\| |234|) 7|-|15 7|-|3|\| U 73|-| 1337" on big letter and then on smaller letters "(If you read this instead
    of the above you are not awesome.)" Or something like that.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • How about "1|= U <4|\| |234|) 7|-|15 7|-|3|\| U 73|-| 1337" on big letter and then on smaller letters "(If you read this instead
    of the above you are not awesome.)" Or something like that.</p>
    Dude, I wouldn't even bother trying to read that @_@
  • Then you are not teh l33t.
  • edited October 2006
    Indeed.. ya know?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It says "If u can read this, then u teh leet". It's actually incorrect. The proper way to say it is "If u can read this, then u r eleet." It doesn't matter, because I'm pretty sure a shirt like that already exists.
  • edited October 2006
    Well there has never been any grammar in 1337, or am I wrong?

I was giving an idea you know.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Uh, come on, baby, 1337 my fire.
  • GeekNights - its teh awesome.
  • Mr Period is my homeboy.
  • edited October 2006
    Uh, come on, baby, 1337 my fire.
    Nice use of Doors reference, Jason!
    Mr Period is my homeboy.
    I can think of several ways this sentence can be misinterpreted.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I like the one with the you can't _ 10 _ because there's so many things you can put in there that would make it really funny.
  • How about "Geeknites" on the front, and "GeekNights (Mr. Period was here...)" on the back?
  • While some sort of Mr. Period shirt might be cool, I don't think we want to do that. For one thing, we took the idea of Mr. Period from Penny Arcade. Also, he only really has a forum presence. We want to try to stick to stuff that appeals to all listeners and not just forum listeners.
  • Okay. But IF you were to make a Mr. Period shirt, perhaps you could give it out as some sort of special prize on the forums...
  • Dude, "Let's do dumb shit" is like, my quote! I need this shirt!!