This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A-Kon (The convention, not the rapper)

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So, I just moved to Dallas less than a week ago, but my Aunt is a Sci-fi Artist who does paintings and takes them to conventions around the area. Anyway, she told me about A-Kon, an anime convention in Dallas, which, frankly, I had never even heard of.

Does anyone know if this convention is worth going to? I've looked online and at their website, but I wasn't sure if anyone has ever gone to this convention, or for that matter, is going this year. Maybe we could do a Geeknights meet-up, though I have no idea if anyone is near Dallas.

Edit: Added a link to the con website.

Comments

• I've heard of A-Kon. It's an old and popular anime convention. Seeing that is so geographically distant, yet I have heard of it, says a lot. Looking at the site and the guest list, it seems as if they are a middle of the road hotel con. Looks like a half step below Katsucon. If I lived closer to it, I would probably go. Also, Ananth is going, so pester him.
  • I have been to A-kon twice now, starting in 2007. I enjoyed it because I'm a webcomic fan and their artist alley is huge (bigger than the dealer's room). I even volunteered in the alley on my second trip there. One of their big events is a group hentai showing that has a line down and around the hallway. A few of my raver friends enjoyed the dances on Friday and Saturday night. I had to really look for the game room. One elevator always breaks, and they don't let you use the stairs at all.
    I'm not feeling the need to go down there again. The draw for me last year was Nabeshin, and the year before Howard Taylor. I am going to save my money this year and just go back up to Anime North. Driving down from Kansas City was too long, and I felt more drained this last year than at any other con I've been to.

I would say it's worth it once, and since you live in Dallas, I wouldn't bother getting a hotel room.
  • This will be my fifth year volunteering. To be totally honest though, the last couple years have kind of sucked. It seems like people have been asking for more webcomic panels, and the con has delivered. The problem is that this is to the exclusion of a lot of anime related things. There are still some good art panels, but I'm hoping to see them return to doing anime panels again.

The Sheraton bought out the Adams Mark last year, and I don't think that they were entirely prepared to host a con, which caused a lot of problems (they opened up the stairs after more than half the elevators broke down). Hopefully they'll have their act together for this year though, and it won't be as bad.

Also, welcome to DFW! How are you enjoying our wildly fluctuating weather so far?
  • edited January 2009
    This will be my fifth year volunteering. To be totally honest though, the last couple years have kind of sucked. It seems like people have been asking for more webcomic panels, and the con has delivered. The problem is that this is to the exclusion of a lot of anime related things. There are still some good art panels, but I'm hoping to see them return to doing anime panels again.

The Sheraton bought out the Adams Mark last year, and I don't think that they were entirely prepared to host a con, which caused a lot of problems (they opened up the stairs after more than half the elevators broke down). Hopefully they'll have their act together for this year though, and it won't be as bad.

Also, welcome to DFW! How are you enjoying our wildly fluctuating weather so far?
    Wow, tell me about it. My car was covered in ice yesterday, but it's nice and warm today. It's almost scary.

FYI, I moved from lower Alabama, so ice on the car is a big wow.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Wow, tell me about it. My car was covered in ice yesterday, but it's nice and warm today. It's almost scary.

Yeah, sudden temperature changes are pretty normal for the winter here.

If it's not prying too much, what brings you to Dallas? Are you planning on staying here long-term, or is it just temporary?
  • edited January 2009
    Wow, tell me about it. My car was covered in ice yesterday, but it's nice and warm today. It's almost scary.

Yeah, sudden temperature changes are pretty normal for the winter here.

If it's not prying too much, what brings you to Dallas? Are you planning on staying here long-term, or is it just temporary?
    I actually moved here to find work. The little town and the surrounding 50 miles had nothing going for it in any form or fashion. If it helps, one of my friends applied at the Pizza Hut. They had 6 jobs, and had 45 applications turned in that week. In a town of just over 3000. I'm sorry, but that's sad.

Anyway, I have family out here (an aunt and uncle), and I really needed a change, so out of nowhere, they asked if I wanted to come stay with them. I kinda just packed up and left. I got here about 5 days ago, and I'm really enjoying the change. (Note: I'm still tired from the drive. 800 miles is a lot to drive non-stop overnight.)

So, I live in Oak Point, I don't know how far away from you that is, but it's close enough that I call it Dallas.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • So, I live in Oak Point, I don't know how far away from you that is, but it's close enough that I call it Dallas.
    You're about an hour away from me, but it's definitely still part of the Dallas area.

Good luck with your job search! Unemployment rates are lower here than elsewhere, so you should have some pretty good prospects, depending on what you're trying to find.
  • So, I live in Oak Point, I don't know how far away from you that is, but it's close enough that I call it Dallas.
    You're about an hour away from me, but it's definitely still part of the Dallas area.

Good luck with your job search! Unemployment rates are lower here than elsewhere, so you should have some pretty good prospects, depending on what you're trying to find.
    Actually, I think I just landed a job in Plano. :P It's not the best place in the world, but it's a small place called Plano Computers, and they seem to know what's what. I went in for an interview today, and I'm about to forward my resume so they can schedule a time for me to come in a show them that I actually know what I'm talking about. Yay!
  • Actually, I think I just landed a job in Plano. :P It's not the best place in the world, but it's a small place called Plano Computers, and they seem to know what's what. I went in for an interview today, and I'm about to forward my resume so they can schedule a time for me to come in a show them that I actually know what I'm talking about. Yay!
    That sounds pretty awesome; I hope it works out for you.