This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hetalia is going to be an anime

edited November 2008 in Anime
Hetalia, the comedic Japanese web-comic that talks about world history (Mostly WWII era) by anthropomorphizing the different countries as cute boys, is going to be an anime!
It's called Hetaria, because the main character is Northern Italy, and he screws up a lot and gets yelled at by Germany. Heta(to be bad at something) + Italia = Hetalia. Search on youtube for APH to find fan-made videos. America is a loud, bossy goofball, Russia bullies Lithuania, and Finland and Sweden are apparently very shippable. Hetalia: Making global conflict cute.

Comments

• I take it, I am not the only one at a loss for words.
  • edited November 2008
    Oh Japan, we love you, even though you are very strange sometimes.

Also, the web comic Afghanis-tan is moe but a little educational.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • LOL. This sounds awesome. Will it be coming out in the spring?
  • Afghanis-tan!? Hetalia!? Japan did it again!

Anyway, I have to check this out. It sounds hilarious and weird.
  • Was reading the TV tropes about it. Lulz.
    Funny Stuff, Mate.
  • Update on the Hetalia anime. It will be a series of 5 minute episodes, premiering in January. Hetalia fever has taken hold of the Japanese fan community, and the book and drama CD are some of the top selling products at the Animate stores. This is awesome! Viva Webcomics!

In other news, I have the published manga in my hands. It just got delivered today. *teakettle*

• Here's the trailer.
  • In the other thread there was talk, that Finland wouldn't be there, but in the trailer I clearly saw Finland. So how it is, Finland or not? If Finland is in there I might find time to watch that.

Well, if it really is five minute episodes, I will at least see some of it and if I like it, then watch all.
  • Oh, you are right! They showed a glimpse of him and Sweden, in what is, I am assuming, the world conference episode. Judging by the voice cast, though, I did not see an actor listed for either him or Sweden, so I doubt he will have an episode himself.

More Suomi! I demands it.

Moimoi.
  • I'll be interested to see how a show like this can manage without mainstream distribution.
  • Who's up for pretending to be a bunch of Christian hard-nuts to get KuroKami (Black God) canceled as a retaliation move?
  • WHAT THE FUCK!
    They actually listened to those right wing nut jobs?
    Besides, the worst thing Korea does is pestering China, being loud, and saying he invented everything. America and other countries come off looking far worse than KOREA. He's not even supposed to be in the anime that much.
    Actually, China is portrayed as being pretty cool: He raised little Japan and taught him all he knew and Japan was a total dick to him in the end.
    Sure, this show makes fun of countries, but it makes fun of them pretty equally.

Besides, you don't see any French people petitioning to have it stopped because France makes passes at other European nations, or Italians calling up because the show is basically about them being happy and COMPLETELY USELESS in warfare!

Uuuugh. Anyone who takes serious offense at Hetalia needs to lighten up a whole ton.
  • I'd guess there would be controversy aplenty if the kind of people who get riled up about that kind of stuff actually knew about it, as they would with a lot of themes in anime. That said, it was an internet petition which can usually be ignored, even claiming 16,000 names.
  • Aww... I was looking forward to that.

Hey, Emily, great job on the scanslations. I've been going through them over the last week.
  • Not all of them are me. Only the ones with "Gomidog" on them.
    The scanslations really vary widely in translation quality. Some of them are really good and some of them are...hmm....
  • edited January 2009
    The fansub of the first episode is up for download now.

Edit: Just got done watching the first episode. I have to say, the opening 'World Conference' scene was freaking hilarious. However, I honestly don't know if I'll enjoy the rest of the series. I think this series is just like Azumanga Daioh, in that its manga form is very entertaining but that turning it into an anime was a bad idea since the sereis lost a lot of its charm (at least for me).
    Post edited by Banta on
  • I didn't like anime as much as I though I would. The world conference part was sped up a lot (everyone was talking really, really fast), the animation was very limited and I'm not sure I like all the voices. I think it lost a fair amount in the adaptation.

By the way, Korea is Super! Pissed! Off! For no reason. Now there are news broadcasts complaining about Hetalia, (like a Korean Fox News, saying all Japanese are perverts and insults like that, showing FANART of Korea. Fanart!) and the matter has been raised in CONGRESS no less. It's like if the religious right found out about Evangelion and went bat-shit over it. Now there are DoS attacks against Japanese websites showing the anime by Korean hackers. Of course they also went after 2chan. Good luck with that, bro.

It's a webcomic. Get over it. You don't like it, fine don't read it, but seriously! Calm down and stop with the repeat of the JoJo controversy. I think Korea is just ticked off about the Dokdo controversy and feels the need to let off steam.
  • I didn't like anime as much as I though I would. The world conference part was sped up a lot (everyone was talking really, really fast), the animation was very limited and I'm not sure I like all the voices. I think it lost a fair amount in the adaptation.

By the way, Korea is Super! Pissed! Off! For no reason. Now there are news broadcasts complaining about Hetalia, (like a Korean Fox News, saying all Japanese are perverts and insults like that, showing FANART of Korea. Fanart!) and the matter has been raised in CONGRESS no less. It's like if the religious right found out about Evangelion and went bat-shit over it. Now there are DoS attacks against Japanese websites showing the anime by Korean hackers. Of course they also went after 2chan. Good luck with that, bro.

It's a webcomic. Get over it. You don't like it, fine don't read it, but seriously! Calm down and stop with the repeat of the JoJo controversy. I think Korea is just ticked off about the Dokdo controversy and feels the need to let off steam.
  • Oh no! It has begun. Internet type stupidity has begun overflowing into the real world..
  • Yeah some of the scanlations on the LJ community are unreadable in a lot of ways.

Wow, I didn't think Korea would be so mad that it'd be a topic on the news AND in congress.
  • People need to do fanart of Korea getting pissed off ^_^
  • Showed it at the anime club, it didn't take and my manliness was questioned.

Quite how that was possible with a cocktail of Soul Eater, Higurashi and FMP: Fumoffu is any one's guess.
  • The anime is not so good, but that does not make you less of a man.

It just makes you a gayer man. (just kidding)
    Seriously? I think the fandom around this is hilarious, because the fangirls talk like:
    "Oh manz, I totally want Poland and Lithuania to make out!!"

But there are hot girls in the show. Hungary FTW.
  • edited February 2009
    I would like to bring to people's attention that what I hear of England's cooking from Gomidog are entirely unfounded. Anyone who doesn't like it can suck jellied eels.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hey, they make fun of Finland's cooking too.
  • Just letting everyone know.
  • Hey, they make fun of Finland's cooking too.
    What's there to make fun of? Finnish food is goood.
  • Lots of smelly fish, though. Also salmiakki.
  • edited February 2009
    Finland is far north and near the sea, what else would they eat? It's not like America lacks it's own share of weird food. You've got bagels for starters. And so, the great food flamewar began.
    Post edited by Omnutia on