This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Ruben... huddled under filthy blankets not 20 paces from the elevator shaft.

2»

Comments

• Also, the west is generally newer and shinier in terms of infrastructure, technology, houses, etc.
    Yes. Seattle was frighteningly clean, simply for the fact that it's still new. It's like they still have some shrink wrap on the streets.
  • Seattle was frighteningly clean, simply for the fact that it's stillnew. It's like they still have some shrink wrap on the streets.
    I've always wondered about this in regards to the overall cleanliness of area from state to state. Is it because of varying cultures, the enforcing of litter violators, frequent clean up crews, or just because the city/state is younger/newer?

I had relatives come from Texas and they would make some comments about how clean Washington is. They commented on how especially clean the highways were here compared to Texas. I guess I really never noticed whenever I went to other states, but I guess for most part Washington is overall nice and clean. It just struck me as odd to hear a comment like that.
  • Crazy? To report a gunshot? I think not.
    Seriously? Gunshots were common enough to whereeveryonejust ignored them. In an urban environment like that, it's practically impossible to tell where they originated or even what vague direction they came from. You'd just hear them off in the distance, echoing through the buildings, along with the yelling and screaming and every other Detroit-esque bump in the night.
    I have to say this was the attitude growing up. It seems heartless, but also some didn't do it out of fear. Really, it never mattered in the end. Where did it come from. You don't know.

Anyway if we happen to see a body we would say something.
  • Most Americans want to move, live in a different city. Places most wanted to move to? Denver, San Diego, and Seattle. Places most wanted to move away from? Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Detroit.
    Akron is creeping closer to those cities also. With all the robberies and gunshot cases people are moving out and it's just becoming a place to go and work very fast. The only "nice" parts of the city is around the University were most of the money is spent.
  • The cleanliness really only has to do with how new or old things are. Buildings in New York still have the filth of the industrial revolution on them. If all the people in New York and all the people in Seattle switched places, ignoring the size difference, Seattle would stay clean and New York would stay dirty. I think the major difference would be a complete turnaround for jaywalking policies.
  • Seattle is clean because it rains constantly.

Cleveland is on the move away from list?! Shocking!
  • Akron is creeping closer to those cities also. With all the robberies and gunshot cases people are moving out and it's just becoming a place to go and work very fast. The only "nice" parts of the city is around the University were most of the money is spent.
    Yeah, glance up here near Lorain. Murder city all the time. Even if the gunshots are reported, the perps are gone or have alibis by the time the police respond -- if they ever get there. And cities are in fiscal emergency throughout the entire Greater Cleveland area, so none of them can afford to adequately staff the streets with officers. It's nowhere near as bad as Detroit; all our big-time drug dealers and hardened criminals come from Detroit to northeastern Ohio seeking easy hunting grounds with low police presence.