This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miyazaki

Comments

• I'm giving Miyazaki one more chance, with Mononoke. If that doesn't do it for me, I'm gonna assume that nothing else will from Miyazaki, period...<_<.</p>
    Is it fair to say that if Mononoke Hime also doesn't appeal to you, that you should just stop watching anime?
    You know, don't take this as an indictment in any way, but you seem to dislike just about any and all anime that we consider worthwhile. Take that as you will. ^_~
  • I said it once in the "I hate reading" thread, but I think the problems aren't in the movie, so much as with a lack of imagination on your part, an inability to deal with the mysterious nature of the worlds miyazaki creates. I wouldn't even bother watching Mononoke. I don't think you will like it. It may be the movie that, when I saw it in 1998, convinced me once and for all that I wanted to work in animation. It may be one of my favorite movies of all time. However, judging by your past criticisms of Miyazaki's work, I don't think it's FOR you.
  • edited July 2008
    I said it once in the "I hate reading" thread, but I think the problems aren't in the movie, so much as with a lack of imagination on your part, an inability to deal with the mysterious nature of the worlds miyazaki creates. I wouldn't even bother watching Mononoke. I don't think you will like it. It may be the movie that, when I saw it in 1998, convinced me once and for all that I wanted to work in animation. It may be one of my favorite movies of all time. However, judging by your past criticisms of Miyazaki's work, I don't think it's FOR you.
    As I've said before, I think the backgrounds (which are essentially the worlds he creates) are beautiful and intriguing.
    It's just the plots that irk me. Yes, I realize they are targeted for younger audiences, but the plots always seem so childish and dull. Sure, flying around in a beautiful world is nice, but for 2 hours? Shit.
    I also don't see where imagination comes in while watching a movie. It's all there, right in front of you...
    You know, don't take this as an indictment in any way, but you seem to dislike just about any and all anime that we consider worthwhile. Take that as you will. ^_~
    "Any and all" is quite a blanket statement, as it's mainly been Miyazaki stuff I've been trashing...but what else have I disliked that you guys suggested? Plus, there's stuff you like that I like, as well.

I'm sure I've posted this somewhere on these forums already...but here's my list of anime I like:
    series:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Black Lagoon
    Hunter x Hunter
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Death Note
    Samurai Champloo
    Haruhi (not as much as the above stuff, but still)
    FLCL
    Gurren Lagann
    Shaman King (manga)
    Monster (manga)

movies:
    Tekkonkinkreet
    Paprika
    5cm per second
    Porco Rosso
    Akira (though towards the end it got pretty ridiculous)

Stuff I don't like that I have seen some or all of: Most Miyazaki stuff, Millenium Actress (oh shi-), Dears (saw the entire series, sadly), Naruto, Beck (only seen 6 eps, but it was boring the shit out of me...and I liked the music!), Twelve Kingdoms (failed the 5 episode rule)...

Then there's stuff that I'm just indifferent about. I'm not gonna list it all, though...and there's a lot of stuff you guys have talked about (Trigun, Eva, GitS, Macross, etc) that I've yet to watch.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Yay!
    I know right!
    I wonder if this will be in the regular theaters or the indie theaters in the city.
  • My dad was given a bootleg by his co-worker, and my family watched it over Christmas. Ponyo is SO CUTE! I really look forward to seeing it in theaters.
  • I just made a post in the new anime topic...but in short, Ponyo is great!
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2009
    What is everyone favorite moment in a Studio Ghibli movie? Make it a list if you wish.

Nausicaa: When Nausicaa is trying to stop the baby Ohmu from comitting suicide and burning her feet in the process.
    Laputa: When Muska reveals who he really is (Romska Palo Ul Laputa).
    Totoro: None since it's my least favorite Miyazaki movie. Yeah, yeah so what if it is, bite me.
    Kiki: When Kiki rescues Tombo from falling from the sky.
    Porco Rosso: When Marco is going through the "heaven" of pilots
    Whisper of the Heart: The entire "Country Roads" sequence
    Mononoke-hime: I have two. When San has to force feed Ashitaka in the forest and Ashitaka cries afterward and when Ashitaka sees Shishigami for the first time and his arm violently reacts to it's presence.
    Spirited Away: When Sen is pulling out all the junk from the river spirit and the river spirit thanks her.
    Howl's Moving Castle: None as I didn't like it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Totoro: None since it's my least favorite Miyazaki movie. Yeah, yeah so what if it is, bite me.
    You, sir, have no soul.
  • Heh, that's funny because I just finished watching 2 back-to-back Miyazaki films.

Totoro: The bus stop/cat bus scene as well as the dance of the tree growth scene.
    Mononoke: The gathering of kodamas (both scenes, but not the one where they die) and when Ashitaka takes San out of the village when he gets shot and pushes the gate open.
    Spirited Away: When the soot balls try to get Sen to take the coal and in Zeniba's house when the crow, mouse, & No-face are helping weave stuff.
    Castle of Cogliostro: When Lupin is bounding from rooftop to rooftop in his Lupin-esque way in which it really is not possible.

I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa, and Howl's Moving Castle, but I can't think of certain moments. As for the other Miyazaki films, I have yet to see them, but they are on my list of anime to watch.
  • when Ashitaka takes San out of the village when he gets shot and pushes the gate open.
    That one. Also, when he is dying and she holds her sword to his throat, ready to kill him, but he isn't scared at all and tells her "Live. You are beautiful."

I love scenes when the main character is facing death, but is SO BRAVE he isn't scared at all. Also enemies in love = EMILY MOE~~~.
  • What is everyone favorite moment in a Studio Ghibli movie? Make it a list if you wish.
    *smacks you* Give a freaking spoiler indication will ya. Not everyone has already seen every Ghibli movie.

Also, end of Nausicaa. Q_Q
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2009
    What is everyone favorite moment in a Studio Ghibli movie? Make it a list if you wish.
    *smacks you* Give a freaking spoiler indication will ya. Not everyone has already seen every Ghibli movie./blockquote>
    *punches you* That is a crime in and of itself! Statute of Limitations!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    when Ashitaka takes San out of the village when he gets shot and pushes the gate open.
    That one. Also, when he is dying and she holds her sword to his throat, ready to kill him, but he isn't scared at all and tells her "Live. You are beautiful."

I love scenes when the main character is facing death, but is SO BRAVE he isn't scared at all. Also enemies in love = EMILY MOE~~~.
    I absolutely love Mononoke-hime, it's my favorite Miyazaki. However....as much as I love that movie, there was one thing that irked me a little. This echos a lot of other reviewers' two cents but I didn't think Claire Danes was the right choice for San. She seemed a little too bland for my tastes, but that's just me. Other than that, everything else is spot on.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • When she has to wash the big nasty thing in Spirited Away.
  • When she has to wash the big nasty thing in Spirited Away.
    The stink spirit part was awesome.
  • when Ashitaka takes San out of the village when he gets shot and pushes the gate open.

That was a great moment.
  • Miyazaki is great, seriously. My favorites are probably Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Cagliostro. Everything Miyazaki (and usually Ghibli) does is great, but those are probably in my top 4.
  • Statute of Limitations!
    Lolwut? Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea hasn't even been out for a year. Thus, calling a statute of limitations on all Ghibli movies is stupid. Besides, give me some slack, I haven't been able to track all of the Miyazaki (and other Ghibli) movies down yet. I have yet to find The Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso and Ponyo on the Cliff.
    That is a crime in and of itself!
    Says he who doesn't like some! There is only crime in not wanting to watch the movies.
    pushes the gate open.
    Another vote here. That was one of the awesome moments in that movie.
  • edited January 2009
    I have yet to find The Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso and Ponyo on the Cliff.
    All of those except Ponyo are available easily on DVD.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2009
    He isn't in the USA, cut him some slack.
    That which is easily found in the USA is often hard to find elsewhere; if you go with U.S. stores you end up with ridiculous shipping costs.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2009
    The reason why I don't like it, is that when I was like 7 -years old, I absentmindedly rented Totoro due to the fact that it looked a lot like Pogeyman (this was before I even knew there WAS such a thing as anime), and I found it to be a really bad movie. At that point in time, I didn't really care so much for cutesy-wutesy (at least what I thought it was at the time) crap. I think back on it now is that the reason why I thought it was so bad was that the dub was piss-poor. This is the old dub I'm talking about, not the new one with Dakota and Elle Fanning. I've heard however that it is pretty good, but I was so tainted by that experience that it made an noticeable mark on me, and I vowed never to see that movie again. I guess another reason why I didn't like it was that I thought the story was stupid because all it dealt with some kids trying to get to a hospital which wasn't that interesting, however I'm starting to believe that I thought it was stupid because I was both young and lacked maturity to appreciate it. Lately however it's been on my mind a lot lately and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna break that vow pretty damn soon, just as soon as I do some other things that need to get down.
    You, sir, have no soul.
    My opinions are pretty much the same as Roger Ebert's on this issue.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My opinions are pretty much the same asRoger Ebert'son this issue.
    Yes, because Roger Ebert really matters in this world.

In all honesty I could care less for movie critics, I think it's all BS. If you enjoy a movie, you enjoy a movie. I don't need some asshole to tell me if a movie is good or not.
  • In all honesty I could care less for movie critics, I think it's all BS. If you enjoy a movie, you enjoy a movie. I don't need some asshole to tell me if a movie is good or not.
    When Fight Club got a 6.6 on metacritic, you know that something is wrong about critics.
  • All of those except Ponyo are available easily on DVD.
    I wish. The site where I'm most likely to find any (and affordable) anime DVDs only has Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away of all of Miyazaki's movies. Anime is actually a niche market over here.
  • My opinions are pretty much the same asRoger Ebert'son this issue.
    Yes, because Roger Ebert really matters in this world.

In all honesty I could care less for movie critics, I think it's all BS. If you enjoy a movie, you enjoy a movie. I don't need some asshole to tell me if a movie is good or not.
    It's not that I trust his opinion, it's just that on multiple occasions I've found that him and I say the exact same things about specific movies.
  • I preferred Howl's Moving Castle as a book far more than as a movie.
  • I never read the novel, but I did see Howl's Moving Castle in the theatre. I enjoyed the film until the last 5-10 minutes. The ending was so contrived and quick, it negated a lot of what came before it. I don't know if this is a problem with the pacing and screenplay or the source material. Either way, it was a lovely, deliberate build to a trite end that soured the experience for me a bit. Calcifer still rocks.
  • I preferred Howl's Moving Castle as a book far more than as a movie.
    I agree. The war bit in the Miyazaki adaptation was kind of tacked on. I did like that they did the green slime business. Also (highlight): Howl when he is half demon-bird and sitting by the fire was really cool. The character design for Howl was pretty hot, I thought.
  • The moving castle itself is cool. Calcifer is the super awesome. The rest of the movie was meh. They should just make Calcifer, the movie the same way they made The Cat Returns.