This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime @ Fathom Events.

edited February 2009 in Anime
Just giving you a heads up:
http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?eventid=765
Studio BONES's "Sword of the Stranger" is going to be playing in select theaters, in case you are interested. I found out about fathom events through Geek Nights and I really enjoyed seeing Castle of Cagliostro on the big screen. I don't know if this really competes with Castle of Cagliostro but more anime in theaters would be great great! "Sword of the Stranger" does looks pretty awesome.

Comments

• It's in quite a few theatres in the city.

Thursday at 7:30pm at the AMC Empire 25 anyone?
  • Yea I learned about this from the google ads on the side of the forums :-p (and I clicked on it.. GASP!)

I might be going to a showing of it around my area.
  • Yea I learned about this from the google ads on the side of the forums :-p (and I clicked on it.. GASP!)

Wow, maybe I should keep those ads there.

Maybe you should have told more people! We only have a few days left until the movie plays!
    @Scott, you should. It's not as bothersome as I thought. I don't even see it with adblock.
  • "Sword of the Stranger"
    Is good movie. Nine enjoyed. If you go in expecting to watch a nice Samurai action anime movie, you'll enjoy it most likely. Nice animation, nice fight scenes.
  • @Nine, Awesome! Consider me excited. I still didn't pick my time or location in new york. Waiting for significant other to get out of lunch meeting status.
  • I was already thinking of going to the amc in times square. I think I'll buy the tickets today.
  • edited February 2009
    I saw this preview when I went to go watch a few movies over the last few weeks. I think I'll catch it this week along with a few friends. Fathom events seems to do a lot of this kind of thing which is awesome.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Hey, Rym, I got us some tickets. <3
  • Hey, Rym, I got us some tickets. <3</p>
    <3

Maybe you should have told more people! We only have a few days left until the movie plays!
    @Scott, you should. It's not as bothersome as I thought. I don't even see it with adblock.
    I mentioned it in the google ads thread.

I mentioned it in the google ads thread.
    That's not that much of an attention grabber! I might have seen your posting but it totally dropped out of my memory. Anyway, I got tickets for the AMC Empire 25@ 7:30 too.
  • This sounds like a plan in the making. Waiting on an official meeting time/place though.
  • Man, I have a friend's birthday running all night. But maybe I can jog up to the Union Square Stadium 14.
  • Okay, I know I haven't been watching the forums enough when I discover stuff like this at the absolute last minute. :P

But I'm very likely in.
  • Okay, I know I haven't been watching the forums enough when I discover stuff like this at the absolute last minute. :P
    Oh, yes. ;^) We're probably going to eat dinner around 5:30 or so.
  • edited February 2009
    So what did everyone think of the movie?

I thought it was pretty good. I didn't realize that the theater was showing the DVD of it on the projector so you could see some of the interlacing on the big screen. Plus the sound was off a bit in the beginning, so that was annoying.

Overall, the animation was pretty nice. The story and characters were good. The action sequences/sword fights were pretty awesome, but I wish I could have seen more with the other Chinese warriors, then just the main guy.

For those who stayed after the credits and watched the behind the scenes of the movie, did you notice when the producer said he wanted the movie and the main characters to be "original and not already done"?

My friends and I laughed out loud so hard at that comment. Let's see, samurai with scars on his face, red hair, and he no longer wants to fight to kill people because of some wrong he did in the past as a samurai. Where have I heard or seen this from? ;^P

In then end, I plan on buying this on DVD or Blu-Ray and watching it subtitled to see how the voice acting is. Don't get me wrong, I thought the dub was decent, but I just want to see it subbed. ^^

Also, I was very happy that nothing happened to Tobimaru. I would have been very upset if he ended up dying.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Also, I was very happy that nothing happened to Tobimaru. I would have been very upset if he ended up dying.
    I was bracing myself to see him take a bullet for no-name when the blonde guy cut the old man's arms off. Actually, that Tobimaru didn't die was probably the only thing I saw that didn't turn out to be exactly what I expected. I didn't stay for the interviews, but I would have laughed at the producer saying he wanted it to be original. It was entertaining, to be sure, but if it hadn't been a rare opportunity to see anime on the big screen (we don't get the limited releases in Dallas, so it's even rarer here than it is elsewhere), I would have been more than happy with renting it.

I would also like to see it subbed, but the dub was fine. It was an interesting choice to leave the sections in Mandarin subbed, and dub the rest. It made for a nice distinction.

Was it my imagination, or were there some moments of shaky-cam in the action sequences? Some of the fast tracking shots were blurrier than I've seen in other shows.
  • Let's see, samurai with scars on his face, red hair, and he no longer wants to fight to kill people because of some wrong he did in the past as a samurai.
    Totally. It reminded us all of Kenshin.

I thought it was okay decent for an action movie. The interaction between No Name and the Kid was well done, and the dub was decent over-all. The animation was solid and we had a good time. (The projection was really dark, though. I think something was wrong.)
    It kind of reminded me of a samurai Baccano, in that it was pulp fun with lots of different warring factions, a battle over mystical elixer, and lots of cringe worthy injuries. It definitely felt like a Bones production, and the character designs recalled Bebop and Wolf's Rain. (Especially Tobimaru!)

Fujoshi sez: No Name bath scene = Nosebleed.