This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2009 Con Season

edited February 2009 in Conventions
So with Katsu just behind us, the con season for the year has begun. Where's everyone going?

My stops?
Balticon
Otakon
Baltimore Comic-Con
Anime USA (?)
T-Mode (staffing if it happens)
Tigercon (which I help run)

Also, I didn't see Rym and Scott at Katsu. Not in the game room. Not anywhere. The heck happened?

Comments

• I'll be going to A-Kon at the end of May, but that's about it. I generally can't afford to go to more than one con per year.
  • I'll also be going to A-Kon. It's close, and my Aunt does art there every year.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2009
    Also, I didn't see Rym and Scott at Katsu. Not in the game room. Not anywhere. The heck happened?
    We have a general policy of no longer attending conventions that can't cater to our needs. Katsu wanted us for the videogame room, but not for enough of our panels to make it worthwhile to attend. The panels tend to be smaller that at, say, Otakon or PAX, so we really need more of them to balance that out. The con also has a lot less non-video gaming content, which is what we're really trying to push at the moment (what with Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard), so most of our "staff" wouldn't have had anything to do.

The sum? More gaming cons, fewer anime cons. Of course, that's made tough by the general nature of gaming cons, but that's another issue altogether... -_-

We'll be appearing at (barring unforeseen difficulties):
    • Anime Boston
    • Connecticon
    • Otakon
    • PAX
    • New York Anime Festival
    We'll be attending the MoCCA festival.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Katsu was just behind me and it was okay!

Next on my schedule:

Anime Boston (maybe)
    Otakon
    SPX (Small Press Expo. It's like Mocca in the DC area)
    T-Mode (If they have it. I wanna run panels at it)
    Anime USA

I'm not sure if I could count the Sakura Matsuri or the Smithsonian Anime Marathon. I'm throwing those in.
  • Bah to you east coast whipper-snappers!

As for my west coast self:

Emerald City Comicon
    Sakura Con (Maybe, just for Artists' Alley to expand my panda sketchbook)
    Otakon (small chance, however it would be fun)
    PAX
  • My con plan is:

Tora-con
    Connecticon
    Otakon
    PAX (hopefully)
  • I'm pretty much just going to Anime Boston this year, unless I can get a ride and a hotel room to Another Anime Con.

Say, people going to AB: What about some kind of meet-up, at least for lunch, the day before or the day after the con? I know a kick-ass noodle place.
  • Yeah, we bailed on Katsu. There were many factors that influenced people...mine was the Artist Alley limitations.

Anyway, my list...

Animazement (if I can get into the dealer's room)
    Otakon (assuming I get an AA table)
    Any cons I can afford in the NY area after August.
  • Otakon, as I am still unable to go anywhere else...
  • I'm kinda sad that I won't be at PAX this year. We went the last two, and it was awesome, but I think my wife and I are going to GenCon this year. If that falls through, though, we might change our minds. I'd love to run some Mouse Guard games at PAX, 'cause there just isn't enough non-D&D roleplaying going on over there.
  • Next year for Katsu then (since they'll have a ton more space)?

Viga- I haven't heard from Renee yet. Probably should drop her a line. Last I heard, she wanted to do it again, but I don't know. And if it falls through, Tigercon will be happy to have you do some panels. We're right up I-95.

And for Otakon, Gerald, Daryl, Mike and I are trying to get a podcaster panel going, since last year's didn't happen due to potential JAM Project conflicts. You guys up for it?
  • edited February 2009
    Probably skipping all cons this year and going to Europe.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Anime Boston - submitted 12 panels last week
    AnimeNext (Opinions?)
    Otakon
    Connecticon

Maybe back to Japan in September!
  • You ever went to any anime events in Japan, NotAlex?
  • Being a poor high school kid, I can't really get anywhere outside of an hour's drive, so I'm going to Connecticon but that's about it. Otakon is a definite no because of summer camp.
  • I should set up the "Get Nine's ass to Otakon to scare the ever living shit outta you folks"-fund, but that requires work. x-X
  • edited February 2009
    Damn, all you guys go to all the big cons. I really never do. Smaller ones are cheaper, closer, and I've met more interesting people at the smaller ones.

1. Ohayocon - I already went. It was at the end of January. It was pretty good. As usual, the people I went there with determined how much I enjoyed the con much more than anything at the con itself. As usual, Dealers room was great, panels were shit, and video game room was lackluster. Oh well, though. I still like the con.

2. Anime Punch
    3. Colossalcon
    4. Matsuricon - last year's con was shitty, so I might not go. It's up in the air right now.

I wish I could go to bigger stuff (I mean, Ohayocon broke 7k this year, but that's nothing compared to the biggest cons in the USA) like Acen or Otakon, but they're just too far (5 and 6 hours respectively), too expensive (Acen is within my budget, but Otakon is not), and Acen is in the middle of the school year and it's on my prom night.
    Post edited by Dkong on
    At the end of my Kyoto semester, I spent five days in Tokyo, but then flew out two days before the December version of Comiket. I visited Akiba twice, though there's really not much there. Two things I wish I had scene: Ghibli Museum & Tezuka Museum. I did hang out in the Kyoto Manga Museum, though. Also, a few friends and I went to Tokyo Game Show.
  • Say, people going to AB: What about some kind of meet-up, at least for lunch, the day before or the day after the con? I know a kick-ass noodle place.
    This is a good idea. GeekNights party/meet-up should happen.
  • Probably skipping all cons this year and going to Europe.
    .....ENVY!
    European Vacaction > Conventions by a long shot in my book.
    I visited Akiba twice, though there's really not much there.
    ORLY? I remember the fox girl shrine, the life size Rei statue, the five story animate, and the hojillion doujinshi shops. Cosplay cafes, anyone?

I actually went there one day with a kid from Panama who didn't speak much Japanese. We were in the video game store (I remember there was a big DOA Beach Volleyball display) and he wound up in the middle on the yaoi games section. He did not realize this fact and the fujoshi were all laughing hysterically at the confused gaijin boy. I was a few aisles over, frantically gesturing for him to come back to the RPG section.
  • Ahh.... I want to visit Japan more and more each day...
  • European Vacaction > Conventions by a long shot in my book.
    Pffffffffffffffft, that should depend entirely on where they'll be going. For example, Venice might sound awesome, but it's a crammed and very smelly place with not that much to see.
    At the end of my Kyoto semester, I spent five days in Tokyo, but then flew out two days before the December version of Comiket. I visited Akiba twice, though there's really not much there. Two things I wish I had scene: Ghibli Museum & Tezuka Museum. I did hang out in the Kyoto Manga Museum, though. Also, a few friends and I went to Tokyo Game Show.
    I went to Tokyo for a week right *after* Comiket (airfare was cheaper to leave after the new year's rush). I hit the Ghibli Museum and it was awesome. Also, I went to Anime Japan Fes 2009 Fuyu No Jin at Shibuya O-East to see 4/5 of JAM Project plus Ichiro Mizuki, Mitsuko Horie et al. Awesome? Heck yes! Mizuki started the show by walking out through a cloud of fog and singing Daitetsujin 17. But I digress.
  • edited February 2009
    Ahh.... I want to visit Japan more and more each day...
    Seconded. Hell, I'd even be happy to go and teach english or something there for a while. First thing I'd say to my class "Hey, I'm a big Gaijin. How about that?"
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Say, people going to AB: What about some kind of meet-up, at least for lunch, the day before or the day after the con? I know a kick-ass noodle place.
    I agree We should make this happen.
    May I ask the name of the noodle place, since I live around here and would love to go before AB.
    I went to Tokyo for a week right *after* Comiket (airfare was cheaper to leave after the new year's rush). I hit the Ghibli Museum and it was awesome. Also, I went to Anime Japan Fes 2009 Fuyu No Jin at Shibuya O-East to see 4/5 of JAM Project plus Ichiro Mizuki, Mitsuko Horie et al. Awesome? Heck yes! Mizuki started the show by walking out through a cloud of fog and singing Daitetsujin 17. But I digress.
    JEALOUSY! That's so awesome, dude!
  • edited February 2009
    I'm looking to go out to Japan sometime before Christmas. I'm generally less anime focused when I'm out there on account of not being a tourist. That and the cost of everything.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2009
    Say, people going to AB: What about some kind of meet-up, at least for lunch, the day before or the day after the con? I know a kick-ass noodle place.
    I agree We should make this happen.
    May I ask the name of the noodle place, since I live around here and would love to go before AB.
    Men Tei (Tai? Something like that). It's in between Newberry and Boylston, near the fire station. Right next to Steve's, if you know where that is.

EDIT: Let's move this to the AB thread, actually. That makes more sense than this thread.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I'll definitely be attending and running my Geek Jeopardy game show at:
    Anime Milwaukee
    Geek.Kon

I also plan on attending:
    CONvergence
  • At this point in my life the only con I can really go to is the San Diego Comic-Con, since I have relatives in San Diego so expensive hotel reservations aren't necessary.

Also I can't drive.