This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090219 - A Farewell to Arms

edited February 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review Ernest Hemingway's, A Farewell to Arms. The next book club choice is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.

Scott's Thing - The People vs. George Lucas
Rym's Thing - Except Europa

Comments

• Yuck... Hemingway...
  • Rym likes Hemingway.
    I have only read The Old Dude and the Frikkin' Big Fish, so I can't cast my opinion on the matter.
  • edited February 2009
    Hemingway....I can't say I've read a lot of his works, but based on what I have, I'm not a fan.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I enjoyed the dialogue sections. Some of the soldiers blurred together, but everyone else had distinct voices and the absence of "he said"/"she said" tags made it flow well. It was more like listening to a conversation than reading at some points.
    It seems like Hemingway had an economy of phrase you don't see in modern literature.
  • I had completely forgotten that this was the book for this month. A couple weeks ago, I was at a yard sale where they were selling off books for $.50 each. I found a lot of good science fiction, but there was also a copy of A Farewell to Arms. I bought it, thinking, "Didn't they mention this on GN at some point, or was that a different Hemingway book?" I then put it out of my mind until I saw this show.

Anyways, I haven't read it yet, as I'm still trying to shrink the (large) stack of unread books in my living room. But I'm starting it today and will download the show as soon as I finish it.
  • Yuck... Hemingway...
    Is there anyone here who likes both Jane Austen and Hemingway? Mrs. MacRoss loves the former and hates the latter, while I hate he former and love the latter. Which would make sense, since their writing styles are on the two extremes of the spectrum.
  • Is there anyone here who likes both Jane Austen and Hemingway? Mrs. MacRoss loves the former and hates the latter, while I hate he former and love the latter. Which would make sense, since their writing styles are on the two extremes of the spectrum.
    Hmm. Well, I despise Jane Austen, so this bodes well.
  • I need to read some Jane Austen. Any recommendations on where to start (assuming I ever get around to it)?
  • I need to read some Jane Austen. Any recommendations on where to start (assuming I ever get around to it)?
    Either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility

Question for Rym, which books about Byzantium have you read? I'm curious because the Byzantines occasionally pop up during GeekNights
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Pride and Prejudice
    *eyes get super-wide*Oh mans...
  • I get why people don't like Jane Austen. Her subject material is limited. However, she was a brilliant satirist and did a lot for women in literature and society. Her books railed against the fact that her heroine's only options were abject poverty doing horrible, uncreative, back breaking labor or marrying well.

While I can appreciate some of Hemingway's bald and direct style, his subject matter has never appealed to me and his "he-man" attitudes disgust me.
  • edited February 2009

While I can appreciate some of Hemingway's bald and direct style, his subject matter has never appealed to me and his "he-man" attitudes disgust me.
    I'm sure that comes out more in his other work, but in Farewell to Arms Elizabeth is a fairly strong, progressive character. And I don't think anybody would call Henry a "he-man".
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited February 2009
    I read this in high school along with Thoreau's Walden just because I wanted to. I kept having teachers, principals, and kids asking me why I was reading it for fun. I hate Texas. Back to the subject at hand, before I say something stupid. This is the only Hemingway novel I have read. A relative bought it for me after noticing I enjoyed John Steinbeck's books. I really fell in love with it. One issue I do have with it is that I prefer people to show character through actions, in addition to what they say. I want to know what they are really like, as opposed to what they say they are like. I know it is an odd complaint, but to me it is a bit bothersome.
    Pride and Prejudice
    WTF! Why would someone do that?
    Post edited by Diagoras on

• While I can appreciate some of Hemingway's bald and direct style, his subject matter has never appealed to me and his "he-man" attitudes disgust me.
    I'm sure that comes out more in his other work, but in Farewell to Arms Elizabeth is a fairly strong, progressive character. And I don't think anybody would call Henry a "he-man".
    One word: Catherine.

• While I can appreciate some of Hemingway's bald and direct style, his subject matter has never appealed to me and his "he-man" attitudes disgust me.
    One word: Catherine.
    God damn it...
  • edited February 2009
    I want to know what they are really like, as opposed to what they say they are like.
    Hemingway puts a lot of trust in the reader to be intelligent enough to be able to interpret and analyze what it really going between the characters. The Hills Like White Elephants is an excellent example of this. Anyone who just read Farewell as their first Hemingway work should go check out this short story as the next step. It's easily found online and it will take you ten minutes to read.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • For those of us without a copy handy, what's the three doctors scene?
  • The one where he needs surgery on his knee. Three doctors come in and make a recommendation. He gets a second opinion from a different doctor.
  • So a professional focus group?