This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So...(The smiling thread and the Happy Field of Food.)

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
I just had the best day since I left college, everything went perfect.

Comments

• Good to know. It all gets worse from here on out.
  • edited February 2009
    I graduated from college 2003. I know how it gets. XD

Tomorrow I have another free day, but I'm using it to clean my house. I feel so at peace, it's great.

Feeling at peace during the apocalypse, it can be a song title.XD
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Please remember: Feeling at peace is often a sign you've just forgotten something that will creep up on you later.
    Not to instill doubt in your mind or anything..
  • Euphoria? It happens.
  • Cynical much? I do have things to do, but they don't feel like much anymore.
  • I'm not being cynical. The feeling of Euphoria happens. Sometimes it is brought on by chemical imbalances, new life philosophies, changes in diet and exercise, or for no reason at all. It is nice when it happens and isn't a byproduct of a mental disorder. Enjoy it.
  • Has anyone had a sudden attack of intense and pressing sadness? I get them sometimes and I always note how I'm never thinking about anything sad when I get them or sometimes not thinking about anything at all. Also get kinda paniccy.
  • Has anyone had a sudden attack of intense and pressing sadness? I get them sometimes and I always note how I'm never thinking about anything sad when I get them or sometimes not thinking about anything at all. Also get kinda paniccy.
    I only do that if I let my mind wander and end up thinking about something depressing.... Of course, I have clinical depression so that's more "common" ( for lack of a better word) for me than it otherwise should be. I don't ever feel panicky, though.

Also, Omnutia, don't you think that thinking like that would leave you pretty panicky in the first place? I mean, I can't imagine having that ingrained into your head being a good thing, at least not for me.
  • Lately I've been in a better than normal mood. I find myself smiling more, for no reason at all. It could be, I recently rediscovered a DJ I haven't listened to in ages. His music always puts me in a positive mood.

I've also been thinking about my life in general and how it's pretty good. Can't really complain too much.

@Omnutia

I get that way sometimes when I watch certain anime. One tiny scene can just get me so sad and it really wasn't that big of a scene at all. I am probably getting way too emotionally attached to the characters.
  • The thing is, what really sets these apart is that they literally (use in the correct sense) come out of nowhere.
  • The thing is, what really sets these apart is that they literally (used in the correct sense) come out of nowhere.
    This happens to me, sometimes. Like yesterday, I was having a pretty good day, but I suddenly found myself feeling this overwhelming sense of impending doom. I was thinking, "Oh sure, things are great now, but just wait. It's all going to come crashing down at any second." I played some DDR and got some sleep, and I felt better. Sometimes I don't handle it so well (I'll eat or sleep too much), but the trick is to find something healthy that picks up your mood. Physical activity of any kind is really good for this.
  • I find myself smiling more, for no reason at all.
    If you smile more, even if you do it on purpose, it makes you feel better. I started trying it a few months ago, and it works. It's awesome.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm not being cynical.
    I'm 99.9% sure Cielmort meant this post, not yours, when he mentioned cynicism:
    Please remember: Feeling at peace is often a sign you've just forgotten something that will creep up on you later.
    Not to instill doubt in your mind or anything..
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • If you smile more, even if you do it on purpose, it makes you feel better. I started trying it a few months ago, and it works. It's awesome.
    QFT. Also, I'll randomly smile at other people. Sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy, but sometimes they smile back, and that's cool.
  • Also, I'll randomly smile at other people. Sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy, but sometimes they smile back, and that's cool.
    F yeah. More people should be nice.
  • edited February 2009
    Looking like someone took a dump in your face will only make new people go away. I do remember I used to have a "Fuck you, I'm pissed" expression by default, until I noticed that I was becoming a lonely, depressed individual. Then I Forced myself to smile more often, over time I got more people talking to me and I starting feeling more energized and happy. Smiling, it works!
  • I like how you spell "Forced" with a capital F.
  • I don't like ambiguous topic names.
  • I like how you spell "Forced" with a capital F.
    Call it subliminal messaging. :)
  • Looking like someone took a dump in your face will only make new people go away. I do remember I used to have a "Fuck you, I'm pissed" expression by default, until I noticed that I was becoming a lonely, depressed individual. Then I Forced myself to smile more often, over time I got more people talking to me and I starting feeling more energized and happy. Smiling, it works!
    Same here.
  • I smile at strangers and often get smiles and recognition in return.

I am still a lonely and depraved individual..
    When my family moved from the South to the North, we noticed a large difference in how people pass each other on the street or in hallways.I was always taught to look up when I walk unless I am paying particular attention to uneven ground or awkward footing. If I passed someone, I was supposed to look them in the eye, smile, and acknowledge them in some way.
    When we moved up North, people rarely did this. If you looked straight at someone, they would look away. If you smiled, they would look away. If you said "Hello" they would simply ignore you or grunt back. It was really odd. I try to maintain the friendly smile with people I pass, but it is hard to do when 9 out of 10 people work as hard as they can to pretend you don't exist.
  • Living in Japan will teach you to walk and bow at the same time without taking your mind of what you were thinking about.
    When my family moved from the South to the North, we noticed a large difference in how people pass each other on the street or in hallways.I was always taught to look up when I walk unless I am paying particular attention to uneven ground or awkward footing. If I passed someone, I was supposed to look them in the eye, smile, and acknowledge them in some way.
    When we moved up North, people rarely did this. If you looked straight at someone, they would look away. If you smiled, they would look away. If you said "Hello" they would simply ignore you or grunt back. It was really odd. I try to maintain the friendly smile with people I pass, but it is hard to do when 9 out of 10 people work as hard as they can to pretend you don't exist.
    I had the same problem. I'm so used to doing the southern thing, where you kinda put your hand up and gesture in someone's direction, that when people looked at me funny and moved away when I did it, I was shocked.
  • edited February 2009
    My theory is, that Germany is the country where smiles come to die.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited February 2009
    I smile at strangers and often get smiles and recognition in return.
    I had the same problem. I'm so used to doing the southern thing, where you kinda put your hand up and gesture in someone's direction, that when people looked at me funny and moved away when I did it, I was shocked.
    There are groups of people who take advantage of/scam others by winning their confidence in that fashion, northerners are well aware of this. Well that's one the reasons, city culture has a lot to do with it too.
  • There are Southern cities and Southern scam artists...
  • I've been actively working towards gaining a feeling of euphoria. I've noticed that subjective reality, no matter how wacky and stupid you may believe it to be, has helped me achieve this state more often. Life is good.
    Well there are a lot of big cities in the north.
    Well there are a lot of big cities in the north.
    Uhh... lots of big cities in the South too.