This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2009

edited February 2009 in Conventions
Registration is now up.

$50 for the entire weekend of awesome. This price is valid until September 3rd. As long as your purchase your badge before August 15th it will be sent to you in the mail.

I'm excited. I have plans for creating certain types of swag for all those Geek Nights listeners and forum-goers that will be attending. ^_^

Comments

• I wish I could go again this year, but I only have the funds to attend one big con a year currently, and I've decided to make it Otakon this year. Make sure to have extra fun for me, Ro! :D
  • Money is a problem. Looks like waiting a year until East Coast PAX 2010 will have to do...
  • I'll have to skip a day of class, but I'll make it.
  • Seeing if I can cover event for website or Magazine...please let there be a chance.
  • Money is a problem. Looks like waiting a year until East Coast PAX 2010 will have to do...
    ditto
  • edited February 2009
    I'll have to skip a day of class, but I'll make it.
    You make it sound as if skipping a day of class for PAX is a bad thing. :P However, YAY! We will definitely have to hang out, Vic.

@Eryn, I'm sorry you can't make it this year, however I'm sure Otakon will be awesome as well. One day I will go to Otakon, one day.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I wish I could go again this year, but I only have the funds to attend one big con a year currently, and I've decided to make it Otakon this year. Make sure to have extra fun for me, Ro! :D
    You're coming to Otakon! Yatta! I'll get to meet you!
  • You're coming to Otakon! Yatta! I'll get to meet you!
    Viga, we need to hang out more at Otakon this year. By the way, my Link costume will return... WITH A VENGEANCE.
    Viga, we need to hang out more at Otakon this year. By the way, my Link costume will return... WITH A VENGEANCE.
    In other words your shield will be fixed? :P

Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Party?!
  • edited February 2009
    In other words your shield will be fixed? :P
    I am actually going to try to remake the entire costume and along with having a new shield, I will also be trying to bring an arsenal of other items.

Party?!
    Oh yes, a party would be grand. Now if we could also get the Front Row Crew members who will be at the con to join...
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • In other words your shield will be fixed? :P

Condom fixed with duct tape? There are objects to stab your eyes out with to your right.
    I will also be trying to bring an arsenal of other items.
    Sweet, though it might be best to not make your deku sticks as 'realistic' as possible.
  • Sweet, though it might be best to not make your deku sticks as 'realistic' as possible.
    I actually cosplay as Twilight Princess Link, so there are no Deku Sticks for me.

Party?!
    I'm looking forward to meeting many people whom I've known through the internet for a while, and you're definitely right up near the top of my list! <3 Are you staying in the volunteer rooms again? I got a room reserved at the Renaissance Harborplace a while back, and I'm currently looking for one or more people to share/stuff it with so that the costs don't hurt me so badly.

Also, totally up for a party! XD

Party?!
    I'm looking forward to meeting many people whom I've known through the internet for a while, and you're definitely right up near the top of my list! <3 Are you staying in the volunteer rooms again? I got a room reserved at the Renaissance Harborplace a while back, and I'm currently looking for one or more people to share/stuff it with so that the costs don't hurt me so badly.

Also, totally up for a party! XD</p>
    Me and my friends reserved a room already. Hmmm. Kidnapp Ro? MHAHAH! >:3
  • I'm also trying to think of a Large con to go to this year. So far, I'm planning a trip to Anime North to visit some friends in Canada.

I was also looking at PAX, Dragoncon, or Otakon. PAX and Dragoncon are both over Labor Day weekend, which would mean missing some class. Otakon is in the middle of July, which may mean missing some class if I go with Summer courses. I need to make a decision soon, though.
  • Me and my friends reserved a room already. Hmmm. Kidnapp Ro? MHAHAH! >:3
    lol, I should, I should. XD

Which hotel are you guys going to be at, out of curiosity? I'd definitely like to come up to hang out for a while.
  • Me and my friends reserved a room already. Hmmm. Kidnapp Ro? MHAHAH! >:3
    lol, I should, I should. XD
    */me diligently makes a hobo sign saying: "Will attend anime con when kidnapped."*
  • edited February 2009
    Is it worth traveling over the Atlantic for this con?

I'm thinking of going and trying to get at least one of three best mates to go with, but they're not very interested as yet.

Also if you don't mind me asking; how much did all you going pay for your room? - Penny Arcade have yet to display recommended hotels.
    Post edited by bees knees on
  • Is it worth traveling over the Atlantic for this con?

I'm thinking of going and trying to get at least one of three best mates to go with, but they're not very interested as yet.

Also if you don't mind me asking; how much did all you going pay for your room? - Penny Arcade have yet to display recommended hotels.
    We met a very awesome dude from Scotland at the convention. He didn't seem at all disappointed with his decision to fly over. However, knowing that PAX East exists, I would probably suggest waiting for that, since it is much closer. However, if you've got money and vacation days to burn, why not go for it?

We stayed in the Red Lion hotel. It wasn't dirt cheap, but it wasn't expensive either. Considering that the hotel was super nice, the price was terrific. I don't know what the price was, though. Rym knows.
  • edited February 2009
    Is it worth traveling over the Atlantic for this con?
    I am biased so I would say, yes. I always remember hearing of some awesome foreigner coming to PAX. There are even PAX enforcers that live on the East Coast that come to PAX just to be an Enforcer.
    If you want to know of the closest hotels, go here. It's last year's PAX thread and I have a handy dandy map of local eateries and hotels near the convention center. If you are trying to save your money, there is a Days Inn that's not on the map, but about a half a mile away that has decent prices.

Last year I stayed at the Roosevelt. It was alright, except they ran out of hot water for the showers once. For 2 nights with 2 double beds it was less than $400. It's not too bad considering I shared the room with 2 other people, but only said 2 people were staying there. This year I might just stay at the Sheraton because it's right across the street from PAX.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Rym knows.
    It was far cheaper than Otakon. Under $200 a night.
  • Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I've checked them the major ones out you suggested...well basically I'm not so stoked on the idea anymore.

The flights are expensive and the room prices don't make up for that so much. Going to talk to my mates to see what they say, but I doubt they'll be so interested.

PAX East Coast 2010 - more likely.

I wish we had some awesome cons over here *grumble grumble*.
  • edited April 2009
    Seriously considering going to PAX this year. Will probably be soloing it, so not sure how I want to handle the hotel(get own room, find people to share with).
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • I'll have to skip a day of class, but I'll make it.
    You make it sound as if skipping a day of class for PAX is a bad thing. :P However, YAY! We will definitely have to hang out, Vic.

@Eryn, I'm sorry you can't make it this year, however I'm sure Otakon will be awesome as well. One day I will go to Otakon, one day.
    I'll probably only be able to go for Friday and Saturday, as I am saving up for my RC drifter and it would otherwise be cost prohibitive.
  • It's weird that the people who most want to go to conventions, high school and college students, are the least able to go because they lack the money for travel and hotels.
  • Such is the cruel enigma of life.
  • Yeah, cruel is one word. Ironic is another one.
  • And then, when you are older, you have enough money to got to all these events but very little spare time compared to your time as a student. Layers and layers...
  • PAX has just announced that Ron Gilbert will be doing the keynote this year. His speech should be fun to listen to.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Damn west coast! I'm a graduate who just got outta school with no monies :(
    I wish I could go though.....oh well I'll just wait for when PAX East gets here.
    Post edited by Geo on