This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090225 - Astro Boy '80s

edited February 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the Astro Boy anime from the 1980s. In the news, IDW is doing a new Astro Boy comic, and Best Buy is changing its anime DVD strategy.

Scott's Thing - Cake Ukelele
Rym's Thing - Don't Shit Your Pants

Comments

• IDW has published decent releases of the Doctor Who comics, so for some weird reason I am hopeful for this "new astroboy comic". Also, the 60's Astroboy series is where the awesomeness, and some sadness is at.
    I like it because is like watching manga that is moving :O
  • Scott I can say with 100 percent certainty that you are wrong... Krauser would rape then kill Voltron with little to no effort.
  • What you said about Uran (Atoms sister) is incorrect,she's not your average robot.
    Although she doesn't have the ultra abilities of Atom she is super strong.
    Her 80 000 horse power is far beyond even the gladiator robots in the Astro boy world.
    If you recall the episode Uran's twin shes tossing giant robots around.
    In episode 13 titled Uran the tom boy she smashes giant robot guns and a factory.

In the 2003 anime they took away her strength and replaced it with the ability to talk to animals.
    I have the subtitled version of Astro boy 2003,it"s the official Korean box sets. They have really good English subtitles and unlike the North American box set its in wide screen as it was made to be.
    It starts off as a light show but gets really serious and deep at the end.I can send you guys the 2003 subtitled version if you like.
    love the show guys.
    p.s
    review the video game snatcher sometime!!
  • Scott I can say with 100 percent certainty that you are wrong... Krauser would rape then kill Voltron with little to no effort.
    Krauser is just a demon from hell. Voltron is the defender of the universe. Krauser could rape princess Allura, but the blazing sword would be the end of him.
    What you said about Uran (Atoms sister) is incorrect,she's not your average robot.
    Although she doesn't have the ultra abilities of Atom she is super strong.
    Her 80 000 horse power is far beyond even the gladiator robots in the Astro boy world.
    What we said was that the professor is not as good a robot creator as Astro Boy's creator. Uran is certainly not your average robot, but she's nowhere near Astro, but not just in terms of physical power, but also mental power. In fact, all throughout the series, the only robot who even comes close to having the same mental and moral faculties as Astro Boy is Atlus. Even some of the other really great robots, like Photar, don't make the cut.
    I can send you guys the 2003 subtitled version if you like.
    If you have the DVDs, then use handbrake to make some Xvids or H264s, and share them with everybody via bittorrent.
  • I had a go at the "Don't Shit Your Pants" game before listening. I hadn't woken up fully and missed the timer. Thinking too long works against me.
  • I couldn't work out award 6 and 7.
  • I shat my pants. Several times.
  • edited February 2009
    I have the subtitled version of Astro boy 2003,it"s the official Korean box sets. They have really good English subtitles and unlike the North American box set its in wide screen as it was made to be.
    I know this is a silly question, but I have to try. Would you be willing to sell your Astroboy 2003 DVDs? Of course I would make sure to also share them on bittorrent. I only have the first 3 dvds.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I just realized this. The episode that you described when Astro is in charge of a ship and the human that hates robots was a remake from an old Astro Boy episode. I used to watch them on Adult Swim and it was my favorite. I really need to watch 80s AB. I only seen some old and some 2003.
  • I just realized this. The episode that you described when Astro is in charge of a ship and the human that hates robots was a remake from an old Astro Boy episode. I used to watch them on Adult Swim and it was my favorite. I really need to watch 80s AB. I only seen some old and some 2003.
    This is because most of the episodes in all the Astro Boy anime are based on chapters in the original Astro Boy manga.
  • Ok, is here , there only two from the second volume. I will be sharing more as soon my computer can convert the rest.
  • It looks like all of the 80s Astro Boy is available on Youtube by Manga Entertainment.