This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quake Live

edited February 2009 in Video Games
So I knew there was something called Quake Live, but I didn't really figure it all out until just now. Apparently, it's very simple. It's just Quake, but in the web browser. Who knows if it works on Linux or not, but I'm about to find out. Right now the major problem seems to be that they don't have enough servers, so you have to wait in a queue for 15-20 minutes before you actually get to play the game. Anyone else tried it? It's definitely worthy of examination.

Comments

• It's Windows only have to try at home.
  • I've been in the private beta for quite some time:

Well, it's just old Quake. ^^ For what it's worth, it's great.
  • They running it on shockwave or what?

I'd like to see a unity version of something like that.

I have no idea what they are running, but you have to download and install something. Makes you wonder why they even bother making it run in a web browser. If you're making me install something, why constrain yourself in the web browser?

I have no idea what they are running, but you have to download and install something. Makes you wonder why they even bother making it run in a web browser. If you're making me install something, why constrain yourself in the web browser?
    I've not checked the website but it probably has to do with advertising.
  • I've not checked the website but it probably has to do with advertising.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. You can easily incorporate advertising into a desktop application. Also, in order for them to use web advertising in a web site, that would mean the game would not be full screen. An fps that isn't full screen isn't worth playing.

The only advantage I see of this is that you can put the game matchmaking system into the browser. Even the best game matchmaking systems, like Steam, require you to launch the app before seeing if there is a game to join. Putting that component on a web site makes sense because you can easily check a website, and then decide if you are going to play before launching the game itself.
  • I guess I got the wrong idea about the game. I thought there would be screens between rounds or while it was connecting and that kind of thing. Adverts could appear there for other websites. But if it runs full screen from beginning to end I'm not sure of the point.
  • Does it have any mod options? Like Custom-TF?
  • I played it. It's fucking awesome. It's just fucking Quake. Old schoo flavor. It's mostly Quake 3, but faster and better. If you've got a Windows machine, and you want some fpsing. It's fucking Quake. Can't go wrong.
  • edited February 2009
    I played it. It's fucking awesome. It's just fucking Quake. Old schoo flavor. It's mostly Quake 3, but faster and better. If you've got a Windows machine, and you want some fpsing. It's fucking Quake. Can't go wrong.
    Seconded. I was only in the middle of the placement match when they took the servers down, and I was loving it.
    Post edited by Walker on

The system is down.
  • I'll have a Windows PC in two days. Hellz yeah.
  • I'll have a Windows PC in two days. Hellz yeah.
    Welcome to the dark side, my son. ONE OF US! ONE OF UUUUUUUSSSS!
  • edited February 2009
    Apparently it only works on Windows right now with IE or Firefox. Apparently they are definitely going to make it work on Linux and Mac, and other browsers like Safari, Chrome, Opera, etc. When it's no longer beta, this will be very exciting. The revival of the classic deathmatch. Also, I think it will be a very long time before people figure out how to cheat.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2009
    I have a feeling that this is going to be very popular at workplaces and schools, since you can play it in a browser.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I have a feeling that this is going to be very popular at workplaces and schools, since you can play it in a browser.
    You still need to install it. The only thing is that you install a browser plugin just for this game, as opposed to installing a separate application. However, it is very nice that your stats and config are saved on the web, so it is a lot easier to pick it up and play it even if you aren't at home. If they could get it to work without a plug, that would be something truly epic.

Oh yeah, Rym. It has inverted mouse.
  • Is there some sort of server selection or are you just put into the first open server? Friends lists?
  • Is there some sort of server selection or are you just put into the first open server? Friends lists?
    Server selection, friends lists.

I just played for a while, and it's awesome. And man, do I suck at Quake.
    You can do friends lists, to play with friends. So that is very nice. Server selection is also really great because it puts you in games that are at your skill level.

Before you play first the game gives you a skill test. The skill test has two parts.

The first part of the skill test checks to see how good you are at quake maneuvers. They test you doing a normal jump, then a vertical rocket jump. The next test is a horizontal rocket jump/ bunny hop. I failed at it.

The second part of the skill test they make you fight against one AI bot. I beat it, but I didn't dominate it. I think they adjust its skill level while you are fighting it as a way to figure out where your equilibrium is.

After that, the game constantly tracks your performance in actual games, and based on all that information will suggest servers to you that offer a good match for your skill level.
  • This sounds awesome. Tomorrow I'll get my monitor back again, so I'll try it out next week.
  • I have a feeling that this is going to be very popular at workplaces and schools, since you can play it in a browser.
    You still need to install it. The only thing is that you install a browser plug-in just for this game, as opposed to installing a separate application. However, it is very nice that your stats and config are saved on the web, so it is a lot easier to pick it up and play it even if you aren't at home. If they could get it to work without a plug, that would be something truly epic.
    The thing is, I don't think many places block plug-ins as much as they do installing full-on apps, so I think some places will have a lull in productivity when they realise this.
  • The thing is, I don't think many places block plug-ins as much as they do installing full-on apps, so I think some places will have a lull in productivity when they realise this.
    The thing is that a plug installs just like an app. If it were a Firefox extension, as opposed to a plugin, it would be different. However, an extension isn't capable of doing the things they need to do.

I just had a thought. If they charged $20 a year for this, just like Flickr or Remember the Milk, I would pay for it.
  • The skill matching works amazingly well. More than once I've been in the closest FPS matches of my life, with about four people all tying for first for the entire game.

...I think I'm in love.
  • Argh, stupid msi format is blocked by the IT department! I don't have the privileges to install it...

Now if there was some way to download an exe of the plugin, that could actually be possible depending on what it installs. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow at midnight and then I will get my first bite of awesome sauce.
  • edited February 2009
    Yay for queues!

This whole thing sounds like the business. I especially like the skill level matchmaking system.

EDIT: Man, that's pretty fucking awesome. Also, I forgot how not good I am at Quake 3. I'm wicked rusty. The railgun is still the business, though.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2009
    The skill-testing bot certainly does adjust. Before hitting F3, I practiced a long while and slammed it 90-3. Then I started the actual test, and fragged it three times right off the cuff. Then it came back, and it was a real struggle to beat it 15-11 by the end of the 10-minute period.

Then again, I am not really a strong FPS-er, and I was constantly hitting L4D buttons to reload, zoom, or use a medkit. DAMN YOU, HOURS OF MUSCLE-MEMORY TRAINING ON ANOTHER GAME!

EDIT: Other than the skin, is there any practical difference between the characters?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • For a person who hasn't played any Quake game before (yeah, seriously), I have to say- it's fucking awesome.
  • The skill-testing bot certainly does adjust. Before hitting F3, I practiced a long while and slammed it 90-3. Then I started the actual test, and fragged it three times right off the cuff. Then it came back, and it was a real struggle to beat it 15-11 by the end of the 10-minute period.

Then again, I am not really a strong FPS-er, and I was constantly hitting L4D buttons to reload, zoom, or use a medkit. DAMN YOU, HOURS OF MUSCLE-MEMORY TRAINING ON ANOTHER GAME!

EDIT: Other than the skin, is there any practical difference between the characters?
    Choosing a smaller looking character can probably give you an advantage. Even though I imagine all of the models have the same hitbox, I prefer to play as the eyeball with legs because of how different it looks from the other characters. The skeletons also work, because they look very skinny.
  • Then again, I am not really a strong FPS-er, and I was constantly hitting L4D buttons to reload, zoom, or use a medkit. DAMN YOU, HOURS OF MUSCLE-MEMORY TRAINING ON ANOTHER GAME!
    Every time I run out of ammo or switch a weapon I end up mashing the right click button as if I could melee. Unfortunately, all I get is repeatedly zooming in and back out.
  • Choosing a smaller looking character can probably give you an advantage. Even though I imagine all of the models have the same hitbox, I prefer to play as the eyeball with legs because of how different it looks from the other characters. The skeletons also work, because they look very skinny.
    Also, color of model helps a little bit. If you match the color of the map, it might be a little bit harder for people to see you. I chose to use the Doom guy model, bright green, so I'm not getting any help in that department.

That being said, if the models make any actual material difference, I haven't seen it. The best players win, regardless of model.
    Every time I run out of ammo or switch a weapon I end up mashing the right click button as if I could melee. Unfortunately, all I get is repeatedly zooming in and back out.
    There is melee. It's also pretty powerful, and if you kill someone with it, it says "HUMILIATION!"