This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starfy

edited February 2009 in Video Games
You know there are a lot of video games that come out in Japan, but never hit the US. We constantly complain, and sometimes campaign (Earthbound) to get them, but usually we don't. Well, there is a series of Nintendo games that has been around in Japan for many years, starting on the GBA, and they are bringing the latest title to the DS in the USA. It's Starfy. It's like a cross between Wario and Kirby. Check it out.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    It's like a cross between Wario and Kirby.
    Nothing could be better.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh man, I looked at the trailer. I am all about this game. It looks kinda Princess Peach-y.
  • This is my thing of the day. Stafy is one of those series that I've always been interested in since it is similar to Kirby, so now that it's finally coming to the US I'll be able to experience it in a language I can fully understand!
  • The trailer looks pretty cool. It seems like lately that a lot of import games are ones that I'm extremely interested in.
  • edited March 2009
    I think it's "Stafy" or "Stafi", not "Starfy"...unless that's a typo on your part, Scott, I really hate the localization team right now.

I have the first game for the GBA (and I'm lucky I got it since it's long been out of print). I got it for like $9 when Play Asia was having a crazy GBA sale (like Mother 3 for $9, too!). Haven't played it yet due to it being low on my queue of games to play (which is ridiculously long at this point).

As for this one, I'm definitely getting it. On the other hand, it's just a platformer with little to no story line, as per all kirby and mario 2d games, so the language barely matters. This will just be a lot cheaper than Japanese DS games, though.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Oh my God....It's "Stafy" or "Stafi". Totally not "Starfy".
    Oh my God. He's a star. I read it as such when I saw the japanese.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh my God....It's "Stafy" or "Stafi". Totally not "Starfy".
    Oh my God. He's a star. I read it as such when I saw the japanese.
    Are you meaning to imply that people on the Internet would overreact to something of little importance that will have no effect no the final product?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • This game looks epic. I mean the fact that the seal suit can create a giant ice penis and that you can kill with it could make it the greatest game ever.
  • Oh my God....It's "Stafy" or "Stafi". Totally not "Starfy"...unless that's a typo on your part, Scott, I really hate the localization team right now.
    If you want to get THAT technical, its Sutafuii then
  • This game looks epic. I mean the fact that the seal suit can create a giant ice penis and that you can kill with it could make it the greatest game ever.
    It's a squid!
    It's a squid!
    I also thought seal at first.
  • I also thought seal at first.
    It is a seal. But it makes a giant squid out of ice, not a...you know...giant wang?
  • I also thought seal at first.
    It is a seal. But it makes a giant squid out of ice, not a...you know...giant wang?
    In that case, I though ice sword
  • Well, it looks like Wikipedia has it listed as Starfy, but Play Asia has it listed as Stafi. Then I'm sure we'll hear what the localization team is going to make it relatively soon...
  • In Japanese, it's スタフィー, which transliterates to Sutafii. Basically, in English, it's Starfee. So Starfy is a perfectly good translation and probably better than Stafi, which looks as if the a is pronounced like the a in staff (this makes it turn into "staff-ee").
  • "Stafi" kinda makes me think of that terrible bacteria you find in hospitals for some reasons. Starfy might be an improvement.

Either way, I am pleased to see this series finally coming to english speaking countries. :D
  • Starfy is the best choice IMO.
  • edited March 2009
    Some people.. ~_Q
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So who actually picked up the game? I got it during my day of awesome and am absolutely adoring it. Starfy is so delightfully adorable and I love the twist on the standard platformer formula with the addition of massive segments of water that you need to use to get higher. There is also the added bonus of being able to turn into an adorable dragon and ignite enemies.
  • I love it. It's definitely filling in for the gap that Kirby's left- seriously, there hasn't been a good new Kirby game in forever.
  • I love it. It's definitely filling in for the gap that Kirby's left- seriously, there hasn't been a good new Kirby game in forever.
    I know the Kirby Wii (also supposedly for Gamecube) game has been a rumor forever, but I'm still waiting but I'm confident it'll happen sometime in the early '10s. Wow, I feel 100 years old for saying something like aughts or '10s.
    Kirby: Canvas Curse and (while it was a remake) Superstar Ultra were both fantastic.
  • I do have hope for Kirby Wii, despite it being in development hell forever. The way things are going, though, it looks like Kirby is going to wind up confined to handhelds only. Not that that is a problem, but I always felt that while his handheld titles were great, his absolute best were the home console games, like Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star.
    Kirby: Canvas Curse and (while it was a remake) Superstar Ultra were both fantastic.
    Canvas Curse, while a very good game, is a spin-off as opposed to the traditional platformer I've been hoping for (not to mention that it came out over four years ago). Super Star Ultra was a remake; a fantastic remake with several new features, but still a remake. And then there's Squeak Squad, which... well, it was a Kirby platformer, yeah, but I wouldn't really say it was a good one.
  • I've only ever played one Kirby game, but I am currently playing Starfy. I find it to be very cute and funny. I wish it was a bit more challenging, but it's overall enjoyable. I love the conversations between Starfy and the other characters, they are hilarious. I also wish then you engage in 2 player mode with Starly, you can choose to be either Starfy or Starly.

My boyfriend and I have been playing this game, and since it was the summer, we joking coined a term for whenever one or the other is clammy. The are no longer clammy, but "moe-y". =3

This game has inspired me to make plushies. When I finally get around to it, I plan on making Stafy and Starly plushies.
  • I still haven't gotten around to playing any starfy games. Personally, I don't care about all the comparisons to Kirby. Kirby is a great platforming series, so if there is more of the same, but with a bunch of differences, then awesome! More shit to play through!