This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Embedding Non-standard fonts in Web Sites/Alternatives

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
I've taken up the task of building a website for my Aunt, and she had one very specific requirement. I have to have the logo and the navigation sidebar be in a specific non-standard truetype font. (Patrick, if you are curious.) The only thing is, my original route of making each link by hand in photoshop as a picture is annoying as hell, and very time consuming, trying to make sure they all match. I've heard of a few ways, such as embedding the fonts in the CSS (old as balls and not widely supported in any sense), and I saw something about using a php script to turn it into images automatically.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution for this, I'm all ears (except for the rest of my body. :P).

Comments

• Tell your aunt it's a technological impossibility. Either that, or make all the stuff images in Photoshop. That's really it.

People have to learn that web pages aren't like Microsoft Word documents that can look like whatever you want. There are very large limitations as to what you can and can not do.
  • So then no dice on a script of some kind (php was the proposed one I read about) to make the images for me?
  • So then no dice on a script of some kind (php was the proposed one I read about) to make the images for me?
    You can do it if you want with gd.
  • When I saw your reply to Suffice to Say I wondered, why not just make those 2 images in Photoshop?
    my original route of making each link by hand in photoshop as a picture is annoying as hell, and very time consuming
    Annoying? Perhaps if you don't know what you're doing. Time consuming? You don't know what you're doing. I initially thought wanted to have whatever dynamic text, for say a blog, in a non-standard font. I.e. generating the images with a script, but thankfully not.

If you are desperate, tell so and I'll type out how you make multiple buttons in Photoshop.
  • When I saw your reply to Suffice to Say I wondered, why not just make those 2 images in Photoshop?
    my original route of making each link by hand in photoshop as a picture is annoying as hell, and very time consuming
    Annoying? Perhaps if you don't know what you're doing. Time consuming? You don't know what you're doing. I initially thought wanted to have whatever dynamic text, for say a blog, in a non-standard font. I.e. generating the images with a script, but thankfully not.

If you are desperate, tell so and I'll type out how you make multiple buttons in Photoshop.
    I was just hoping for an easy solution is all, I've got 10+ buttons and a Logo to make, and my main problem is that I've got to figure out how the buttons are going to scale and shift in different browsers and at different resolutions. I've also got to figure out what font size to use, because they all have to look uniform.

I know this isn't gonna take a stupidly long amount of time, but I was just hoping for something easy.
  • I've got 10+ buttons and a Logo to make
    So two images, that is indeed reaaaaaaally hard.
    how the buttons are going to scale and shift in different browsers and at different resolutions.
    Scaling buttons? Shifting buttons? What sort of crazily stupid idea do you have? There is no need to scale an image.
    I've also got to figure out what font size to use, because they all have to look uniform.
    You also have to figure this out when you want to use a script that generates images.
    but I was just hoping for something easy.
    Making a button in Photoshop is the easiest thing to do! I could've made those 10+ navigation buttons well within the half hour between this post and my previous one. You are trying to find a solution for a 'problem' to safe time, but waste more time than it would've taken in the first place.
  • edited February 2009
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Then what happens if someone comes to the website with a 1024x768 view and the pictures bleed outside of the borders?
    Then you failed at
    My website scales to fit the resolution
    but the buttons can't.
    They shouldn't have to scale. Seriously, what kind of idiotic image of the website do you have in your head? There are several ways to deal with smaller resolutions (even though it's not that hard to make a design that fluidly scales well done to 600px), and the idea you get is to scale the freaking images?! Sorry, but that sounds like utter incompetence.
    How small should the buttons conceivably be?
    What? Why do you ask this? Design your fucking website.
    Edit: I wrote other stuff, but it's lost on you anyway.
    You're the one with the idiotic ideas of how to make a website and think it's 'easier' that way. You probably didn't even write that 'other stuff'.
  • edited February 2009
    Then what happens if someone comes to the website with a 1024x768 view and the pictures bleed outside of the borders?
    Then you failed at
    My website scales to fit the resolution
    but the buttons can't.
    They shouldn't have to scale. Seriously, what kind of idiotic image of the website do you have in your head? There are several ways to deal with smaller resolutions (even though it's not that hard to make a design that fluidly scales well done to 600px), and the idea you get is to scale the freaking images?! Sorry, but that sounds like utter incompetence.
    How small should the buttons conceivably be?
    What? Why do you askthis? Design your fucking website.

Edit: I wrote other stuff, but it's lost on you anyway.
    You're the one with the idiotic ideas of how to make a website and think it's 'easier' that way. You probably didn't even write that 'other stuff'.Go fuck yourself. I said nevermind, but you decided it was a good idea to go ahead and say shit about what I wrote when I had decided against writing it.

FYI, that "other stuff" was me commenting on your rudeness and utter imcompetence to help anyone without royally making fun of them in some form or fashion. You are always an ass, and everyone knows it, and I was okay with that, until you decided to bring it back up when I wanted to drop it.

tl;dr - Go to hell.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited February 2009
    Go fuck yourself. I said nevermind, but you decided it was a good idea to go ahead and say shit about what I wrote when I had decided against writing it.

FYI, that "other stuff" was me commenting on your rudeness and utter imcompetence to help anyone without royally making fun of them in some form or fashion. You are always an ass, and everyone knows it, and I was okay with that, until you decided to bring it back up when I wanted to drop it.

tl;dr - Go to hell.
    Agreed.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Go fuck yourself. I said nevermind
    You edited your post to never mind after I had already started replying.
    but you decided it was a good idea to go ahead and say shit about what I wrote when I had decided against writing it.
    No, just replying to what you had posted.
    without royally making fun of them in some form or fashion
    I'm not making fun of anyone. I'm merely telling you that your idea was ridiculous and yet you keep clinging to it.
    You are always an ass, and everyone knows it, and I was okay with that
    And so am I.
    until you decided to bring it back up when I wanted to drop it.
    I didn't decide to bring anything back up, I merely replied to the post you had written when you had not yet dropped it. Crying out against someone who replies to your original post is just pathetic.
  • Google is making this happen: http://code.google.com/webfonts/preview

I guess this was never hard to do technically, it's just hard to find free-to-use fonts.
  • Google is making this happen:http://code.google.com/webfonts/preview

I guess this was never hard to do technically, it's just hard to find free-to-use fonts.
    Yes! HTML5! Ain't it awesome? Now you can use something other than Verdana.