This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I thought I was done buying toys

edited March 2009 in Manga/Comics
When I was a kid I obviously loved me some action figures. In college there was a period of time where I had money, and also had discovered all these new awesome figures from Japan in anime convention dealer rooms. As a result, I started to buy some toys. A year or two ago I sort of realized that figures were almost a complete waste of money. I buy a piece of plastic, and it sits there. Really, I should only have a few really classy ones for decoration, and not have the entire top of my bookshelf covered. Since then I've only bought a few Gundams, because the activity of actually building the model justifies the expense, and one Tezuka Phoenix figure for my desk at work.

Other than that, I thought I was done with toys and statues and all that. But now, Dark Horse comes out with this.

It's $50 and is a limited edition of 950, but how can I say no?

Comments

• Not really a toy though, is it?
  • Not really a toy though, is it?
    It's still just a useless statue.
  • It's asthetically pleasing and provides enjoyment to look at like any other piece of art.
  • edited March 2009
    I agree with Andrew. If you like it and it pleases you, just because it sits there doesn't mean it's useless.

I felt a bit of buyer's remorse when I bought the Yotsuba figure at first, but then I placed it on my bookshelf in front of my Yotsuba manga. I also placed a few other small plushies that I have purchased in front of various manga on my bookshelf, and when I look at my bookshelf overall they actually sorta compliment the manga. One example is I bought an onigiri plushie and I put it in front of my Fruits Basket manga. =3
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The Yotsuba&! figure is awesome because it actually moves and such.

Also, onigiri is too cute.
  • The Yotsuba&! figure is awesome because it actually moves and such.
    True, I also want the newer figurine where she has the cicada and net, but I will wait on that.
    Also, onigiri is too cute.
    Yes, but the Scrooge McDuck figurine is awesome. If you had that in front of your Scrooge/Duck Tales collection I think it would look pretty cool.
  • Yes, but the Scrooge McDuck figurine is awesome. If you had that in front of your Scrooge/Duck Tales collection I think it would look pretty cool.
    The main problem is that is is #1 in a limited edition set. If I get #1 will I be able to stop, or will I have to keep going? You have to assume that every other awesome character will be in there. Maybe even Teddy Roosevelt.
  • The main problem is that is is #1 in a limited edition set. If I get #1 will I be able to stop, or will I have to keep going? You have to assume that every other awesome character will be in there. Maybe even Teddy Roosevelt.
    That's all up to you. If you want to collect them all, then go ahead. I'm sure you have the self-control and the "Scrooge McDuck" frugal sense to know when to stop. A Teddy Roosevelt statue would be awesome. Also I'm sure you can afford them, and some collections are worth having, even if they just "stand" there. But that's just my opinion.

I'm actually at the story arc where Scrooge meets up with him, however I haven't read that comic in ages.
  • Wow, it looks like it has that old fashion look to it. Is it made out of wood? Buying figures and having it sit there (or stand there) isn't useless if you like it. If you want my opinion, get it if you want. Even if it's #1 in a set, you don't have to get them all, just only the ones you like.
  • edited March 2009
    Wow, it looks like it has that old fashion look to it. Is it made out of wood? Buying figures and having it sit there (or stand there) isn't useless if you like it. If you want my opinion, get it if you want. Even if it's #1 in a set, you don't have to get them all, just only the ones you like.
    Think about this though. We're justifying buying something like this because it is aesthetically pleasing. However, we are also saying that it's ok not to buy all of them. The problem is that the number of the item is displayed very prominently. If you only buy a few in the series, instead of all of them, you have an aesthetically unpleasing sequence of numbers with gaps. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 looks really good. 1, 5, 6, 8, 11 doesn't look so good. If the numbers were not displayed so prominently, it would be easier to only get a few.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 looks really good. 1, 5, 6, 8, 11 doesn't look so good. If the numbers were not displayed so prominently, it would be easier to only get a few.
    That could be just you, but I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't care if the numbers didn't go together as long as I had the ones I wanted.
  • Why not just NOT care about the limited edition number. Also, what's so wrong with only getting the statues of characters you like vs. the whole set?
  • Another problem is that I like them all.
  • Then why not get them all? It pleases you, you like them...

That's not even a problem unless they cost mad monies.
  • That's not even a problem unless they cost mad monies.
    They cost mad monies.
  • edited March 2009
    They cost mad monies.
    That you can even more easily afford now since you paid off your car note!
  • They cost mad monies.
    That you can even more easily afford now since you paid off your car note!
    I was hoping to save more...
  • That's not even a problem unless they cost mad monies.
    They cost mad monies.
    Damn. Well, it's time to play the choosing game. (A game I'm too familiar with. *sigh*)
  • Then don't buy them. Jeeze, it's not THAT hard.
  • edited March 2009
    I was hoping to save more...
    -_-
    Goddamitt, Scott. You make people what to shake the shit out of you sometimes. :P You know you want to buy them all, so buy them all and don't feel guilty about it.

Plus I'm sure the whole collection won't take up more than possibly two car notes, so in the end you can still save more after you purchase them.
  • Don't you always rag on people for exhibiting the collector mentality? And now you're talking about wanting to buy LIMITED EDITION statues of various Scrooge McDuck characters? I mean, they have to be awesome, because they're LIMITED EDITION. Hawt.

Just buy them all and be done with it. You know you want to.
  • You could see if there's a non limited edition in the works. That would be cheaper, but I don't think it works that way for figures. Besides if you buy them all yeah you will feel a bit guilty for spending that much, but compared to the happiness part of getting something you like does it compare?
  • Is this a thread about Scott and collecting?
  • edited March 2009
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5 looks really good. 1, 5, 6, 8, 11 doesn't look so good. If the numbers were not displayed so prominently, it would be easier to only get a few.
    That could be just you, but I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't care if the numbers didn't go together as long as I had the ones I wanted.
    Me too. Worrying about the aesthetic effect of the numbers smacks of OCD.

Even if you have OCD, the number is on the box. It's a good box, but it's still only a box. I'd probably end up using the box to store paper clips or something - maybe pens if it was big enough.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Is this a thread about Scott and collecting?
    Just wait till there's a good looking, limited edition achievement.
  • So Scott, has Dark Horse announced more figures?

Anyhoo, just to show my bookshelf, I recently got these two lucky cat piggy banks in Vegas and decided to add it to my manga shelf for more "flare".

I really think the onigiri plush in front of the Fruits Basket manga is amusing. It was actually on happenstance that I put it there as I unpacked. I then actually noticed it when I was trying to figure out where to put my Yotsuba figure. I saw it there and then realized what I did and giggled with delight.

I still think if you add Scrooge to your comic shelf in front of "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck", Scott, it would look snazzy. Once you do, take pics and share. ^_^
  • Ro has turned this into the figure thread. I just got these a few weeks ago.
    imageimageimage

So did you end up going for it, Scott?
  • So did you end up going for it, Scott?
    It's on next months' order form.
  • edited March 2009
    So did you end up going for it, Scott?
    It's on next months' order form.
    Somewhere, there is a cabal of collectible statuary manufactures, chuckling quietly over the addition of your DuckTales commitment to their Ledger of the Damned.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • @ Viga:

That little Genshiken tableaux is wonderful. I like Madarame sneaking up with the cat ears the best.
    Man, I still need to watch the second season of that.