This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

How on earth did I not start this thread far earlier?

So, I'm something of a beer snob. Really, I prefer to think of myself as having discerning tastes in my alcoholic malt beverages. I'm not sure when this trend really started, to be honest. I never really liked beer until I tried a Guinness, and since then I've always liked the richer, more complex beers. The next step, of course, is for me to start home brewing, and I think that I'm actually going to go get the supplies some time next week, as I've finally cleared out enough room in my shoebox apartment.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Stone Brewing Company. These are the guys that make Arrogant Bastard Ale, a beer that's well-known for its self-aggrandizing label and incredibly aggressive character.

My favorite beer of all time, though, and it is a Stone concoction, is the Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

For those who like beer, check out Beer Advocate. It's a website where you can research beer styles and learn the terminology, and, more importantly, find reviews of pretty much every beer that has ever been brewed by mankind. It's a very useful site for the budding alcoholic.

So, for those who are inclined to enjoy a beer, what's your favorite beer? How about your favorite style? Favorite brand?

Comments

• Beer is awesome, especially good beer. I've become pretty partial to the Sam Adams seasonals, specifically the winter and octoberfest.

Style wise I really like hefewizen, and irish reds.
  • I've become pretty partial to the Sam Adams seasonals, specifically the winter and octoberfest.
    I got through fall finals on those.
  • Go out and drink this beer. Watch out though. It will get you drunk.

• I'm not very discerning in my beers. I do love trying beer I've never had before though. There has only been one kind of beer so far that I really didn't like, which tasted like spiced chai ass flavor. I could barely finish a bottle.
  • If you find that you are near one of this do drink it. image
  • Beer bad. Scotch good.
  • Okay - am actually doing a project for a brewery company here in SA - but I'd say Stella Artois counts as my all time favourite - especially draught. Heineken ranks up there, and Peroni and Pilsner Urquell are also interesting... Peroni being smoother and sweeter, Pilsner Urquell tasting more like real beer (plus I can get either of them for free draught between 4:30 and 6:30 every day! hee hee!)
  • Growing up one of my best friends had an always fully stocked Red Hook keg in his parents' garage. So it will always have a special place in my heart. In college years my little group of conspirators always drank Kokanee. For years after college I wasn't far from a bottle of rum or brandy. That is until 2007; when Widmer released their W'07 blend which was beautiful. It got me back into my beer drinking days. Alas 2007 ended and the W'08 was nothing in comparison. These days I drink Kona Longboard and Kona Firerock.

On a side note my least favorite beer is Rainier. Once at a bonfire party in the late 90's some people brought a couple of cases of Rainier and it changed all our outlook on how bad a beer could be. Worse than Key Light in my opinion. Luckily we were armed with two kegs of MGD when those people showed up with the un-gift. I tell you what though. Rainier cans make awesome rockets when you throw them into a fire.
  • I'm more of a wine fan, but I enjoy a good red ale, saison, or dark stout.
  • [pic]
    Yes.

(don't hotlink, it's bad manner -_^)
  • Yeah for beer! One of my favorite things in the world, well the good stuff is anyway. Ales are my favorite, followed by continental beers. Belgium and German beers are the best in Europe but my heart will always belong to the fine English ale.
  • edited March 2009
    [pic]
    Yes.
    Barq's, yes. The rest, no. A&W; is passable if there's nothing else available, but Barq's is the ultimate. The only exceptions are a select few bottled root beers.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • IBC is not that bad
  • There's a really good root beer called Thomas Kemper Root Beer. I used to deal with it when I worked for Odom (a beer company that distributes for Coors and Miller). I think it's the only root beer that can be purchased in sizes up to a keg.
  • I think it's the only root beer that can be purchased in sizes up to a keg.
    You'd be surprised. I know of a few. Virgil's, in particular, I've seen being sold at the supermarket in a keg. Even though it tastes really bad, just like real beer--OH BURN!
  • I really like Virgil's, and other light, cane-sugar-sweetened root beers. I don't know why people seem to hate them. High Fructose Corn Syrup tastes terrible.
  • Cane sugar root beer is sublime.

You want to know what's not sublime? This fucking beer, that's what. You might think that chocolate imperial stout is a good idea, but you'd be wrong. It tastes like a highly alcoholic Hershey's chocolate syrup. It was a challenge just to finish the pint; I actually had to chug the last half, which proved to be a monumentally bad idea.
  • I turned twenty-one a few months ago, and I haven't had any beer or wine. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of tasting beer, because I smelt Heineken once when I gave a bottle to my dad. It was terrible! Wine, though, I might be able to stomach.
  • @ Pete: That beer looks fantastic. Mmmm... chocolate...
  • Wine, though, I might be able to stomach.
    One does not stomach wine. One savors it. One does not stomach beer: one respects it.

Remember, beer gave birth to civilization. Wine made civilization tolerable. I don't have a pithy sentence to complete the trifecta.
  • @ Pete: That beer looks fantastic. Mmmm... chocolate...
    Believe me, you don't like chocolate that much. Nobody does. You'd be better off letting a Giradhelli bar ferment, and then eat it.
  • Remember, beer gave birth to civilization. Wine made civilization tolerable. I don't have a pithy sentence to complete the trifecta.
    Whiskey allowed people to escape the trappings of society.
  • One does not stomach wine. One savors it. One does not stomach beer: one respects it.
    I meant that I don't think it will make me sick. Hence the term "stomach." My fault, though. I was far too vague with that statement.
    Wine made civilization tolerable.
    Only when it was watered down. If you drank it straight, the ancient civilizations thought you were a barbarian.
  • Only when it was watered down. If you drank it straight, the ancient civilizations thought you were a barbarian.
    But, wine then was often concentrated for shipment/storage in the first place. It had to be watered down to even be drinkable.
  • Only when it was watered down. If you drank it straight, the ancient civilizations thought you were a barbarian.
    But, wine then was often concentrated for shipment/storage in the first place. It had to be watered down to even be drinkable.
    It was also used to cover the flavor of terrible water in cities.
    It was also used to cover the flavor of terrible water in cities.
    Sort of related to this, and a fun science fact: the science of epidemiology was essentially founded in the 19th century by Dr. John Snow. He was investigating an outbreak of cholera in London. He eventually traced it back to a communal water source when he realized that the workers at a nearby brewery weren't getting sick. Those brewers drank beer exclusively, and the water they used to make the beer came from a different source.

The lesson: beer is the cornerstone of public health and safety.
  • edited March 2009
    Remember, beer gave birth to civilization. Wine made civilization tolerable. I don't have a pithy sentence to complete the trifecta.
    Scotch made civilization forgotten the next morning.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Everclear made civilization fnohe ghiewo nainwoef;aino
  • edited March 2009
    Irish Whiskey: Taught a beleaguered people how to sing, dance, and make merry.

Scotch: Taught a beleaguered people how to sing, dance, and commit suicide.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on