This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Going to see Gen. Petraeus tomorrow

edited March 2009 in Politics
So tomorrow I'm going to Goodwin College (just a few towns over) with a few other students and the history teacher I had last year to see General Petraeus speak. There's a possibility that I'll get to meet him personally after, so I'm asking the hive mind if there's anything interesting you think I should ask him.

Note that I have no intention of being disrespectful, and I'm not really in the mood to be critical of him (especially to his face), so don't bother suggesting either of those things.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Note that I have no intention of being disrespectful, and I'm not really in the mood to be critical of him (especially to his face), so don't bother suggesting either of those things.
    Then what's the point? Anything interesting that you could ask risks being disrespectful or critical.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ask him what he sees winning in Iraq means and how long he thinks it will take to reach that goal.
  • edited March 2009
    Ask him what he sees winning in Iraq means and how long he thinks it will take to reach that goal.
    Zzzzz...boring.

What you should really ask him is how the ethnic Pashtun people will effect U.S. involvement across the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. These people don't recognize some arbitrary lines made by British colonials years ago, they still identify as one nation. What are the implications of their involvement across the border, and how will the U.S. handle operations with the Pakistan government in the future?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • What you should really ask him is how the ethnic Pashtun people will effect U.S. involvement across the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. These people don't recognize some arbitrary lines made by British colonials years ago, they still identify as one nation. What are the implications of their involvement across the border, and how will the U.S. handle operations with the Pakistan government in the future?
    mmmhmmm.. you'll get a dodge if you ask that one :-p
  • edited March 2009
    mmmhmmm.. you'll get a dodge if you ask that one :-p
    Yeah, and I'm sure asking what he considers a victory in Iraq will solicit a more direct response. ~_^
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Note that I have no intention of being disrespectful, and I'm not really in the mood to be critical of him (especially to his face), so don't bother suggesting either of those things.
    Then what's the point? Anything interesting that you could ask risks being disrespectful or critical.
    I disagree. There are interesting questions that aren't disrespectful or critical. I wouldn't have a problem asking what he considers a victory in Iraq - though that's a relatively boring question, and he has already answered it. I suppose I don't really have a problem with being critical - it's disrespect that I'm really worried about.