This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090311 - Pluto

Comments

• Pokemon Adventures is being re-released
    Awwww yeah. I have the single issue versions of this comic from back in the day.
  • I highly recommend Pokemon Adventures.
  • Lol. I have the Pokemon Red and Yellow mangas from a year or so ago. They were like little blips in the adventure storyline. Dunno if I'll bother with this, though. I have so much unread manga sitting on my shelf as it is...
  • edited March 2009
    You guys missed the only good concert ever!
    I love you JAM Project!

Also, Pluto is awesome and it carries Tezuka's most important message. Also, remember that this manga was written while the whole Iraq conflict started. For a semi-full review I would listen to AWO.
    Also G Gundam does not need any extra plots. It is prefect the way it is. I mean the character kills his brother twice, kills his master, his mother is dead and his final enemy is the love of his life. :(
    Also,Astroboy dies and Tenma has to bring him back
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Gentle men why are you watching the 1980s Astro Boy in English?
    The complete show has been released in dual audio with Japanese subtitles by Manga video.
    It's the red boxset it does not say on the box but it is in fact dual audio.
    The Japanese dub really adds to the show.Only in the American dub do they call Pluto by the name Bruton.

p.s great show guys,the new Astro boy anime is from 2003 not 2004 and includes this story once again.
  • Because we watch it on the Roku, on Netflix. They don't have subbed stuff. If it was available subbed for free, we would watch it like that in a second.
  • Aww, I thought this was about Pluto the dwarf planet. Thursday show?
    Or do one on space. OOH OOH! Carl Sagan!
  • Mentioned in the show by Emily: a robot story told from someone in a city apartment block. Cloverfield attempted something quite similar, but I'd love to see more parallel stories told that run beside big budget disaster/monster movies.
  • Mentioned in the show by Emily: a robot story told from someone in a city apartment block. Cloverfield attempted something quite similar, but I'd love to see more parallel stories told that run beside big budget disaster/monster movies.
    Well, as we said, the original SDF: Macross and many (but not all) Gundam series do a pretty good job of this. War in the Pocket is probably the best at it.

Now I can't get the scene early in Macross where the Valkyrie smashes Minmay's apartment out of my head. When they have the shot looking out from the smashes apartment at the machine sitting in the street, it's a pretty powerful moment.
  • I find it really funny that the channel that Disney created for the cartoons because the Disney Channel lost it's identity, has now lost it's identity.
  • I find it really funny that the channel that Disney created for the cartoons because the Disney Channel lost it's identity, has now lost it's identity.
    Really? That's so sad.

Disney as a whole seems to have lost its identity. What was the last actual thing they've made with their core characters of Mickey,Goofy,Donald,Pluto, etc? The duck comics are like the last refuge of real Disney. Has there even been anything at all with Mickey since the Prince and the Pauper? Well, I think there was a Mickey comic on FCBD a year or two ago. It was pretty good, IIRC.

I also remember that the big summer animated movies from Disney used to be a huge deal. They had a really good run from Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc. Around Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules, they started going down into the crapper and Pixar took up the slack. Is Pixar still together with Disney or not?

If Disney doesn't remember who they are, I really think more and more we need to go with my plan of actual copyright violation. If these companies seem to think we're violating copyright by freely redistributing their work, they don't know anything yet. We should get a bunch of Internets peoples together and make an honest to goodness Mickey Mouse cartoon. Sure, lots of people use Mickey in stuff, but mostly parodies and satires. I'm talking about making an actual cartoon that people will think was made by Disney if you didn't tell them it wasn't.
  • edited March 2009
    I didn't really like the Mickey Mouse and friends Disney characters. The fact that they aren't used except as icons is fine by me.

Edit: I am excited about the Frog Prince movie Disney is working on.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I didn't really like the Mickey Mouse and friends Disney characters. The fact that they aren't used except as icons is fine by me.
    Mickey and the Beanstalk owns you.
  • My daughter has been buying the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon mangas and they are pretty funny. Once she sees the old ones being reprinted she'll be buying them too.
  • There was a movie that came out a few years back starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy as the Three Musketeers and they created a young children's show with the characters. They also made a new Goofy How-to short called "How to Hook up Your Home Theatre System" which was pretty funny but nothing else. Lasseter was trying to start making more of the shorts, but that seems to have fallen through. The future of Disney animation does look considerably brighter, though.
  • I agree with you on the TV bit, although I'm glad Boomerang is a separate channel. Nowadays, Boomerang has all of the old cartoons, like the old Hanna Barbera stuff. I really don't like all those cartoons, so having them all on a separate channel is great. Cartoon Network has stuff like Ben 10, Teen Titans, Batman, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Flapjack (ugh), Pokemon, Camp Lazlo, etc. While I'm still not interested in any of those, it's still nice having them separated.
  • edited March 2009
    Great review guys, keep up the good work! I picked up Pluto a few weeks ago only because I had heard it was a Naoki Urasawa work set in the Tezuka Astro Boy universe, that was all the motivation I needed. Loved volume 1 and I'm looking forward to the rest. Also picked up 20th Century Boys, and I'm 3 volumes away from completing Monster. Now if we could just get Yawara here in manga form.
    Gentle men why are you watching the 1980s Astro Boy in English?
    The complete show has been released in dual audio with Japanese subtitles by Manga video.
    It's the red boxset it does not say on the box but it is in fact dual audio.
    The Japanese dub really adds to the show.Only in the American dub do they call Pluto by the name Bruton.

p.s great show guys,the new Astro boy anime is from 2003 not 2004 and includes this story once again.
    Thank you so much! This was the only thing holding me back from buying this boxed set. I look on the back and it doesn't really say specifically that its a Dual-Audio set, and I was worried I would be forced to watch most of it dubbed and that it only had a few episodes in Japanese. I'll be running out and picking this up ASAP.
    Post edited by gendo7 on
  • edited March 2009
    Really? That's so sad.
    If Disney doesn't remember who they are, I really think more and more we need to go with my plan of actual copyright violation. If these companies seem to think we're violating copyright by freely redistributing their work, they don't know anything yet. We should get a bunch of Internets peoples together and make an honest to goodness Mickey Mouse cartoon. Sure, lots of people use Mickey in stuff, but mostly parodies and satires. I'm talking about making an actual cartoon that people will think was made by Disney if you didn't tell them it wasn't.
    You know, if we could get that many people together, why make a mickey mouse cartoon? Why not make something in the same spirit that we owned and then let everyone use our character? Make it the Mickey of the internet age.

edit: "Mickey of the internet age" sounds funny, if you know Irish slang.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2009
    Really? That's so sad.
    You know, if we could get that many people together, why make a mickey mouse cartoon? Why not make something in the same spirit that we owned and then let everyone use our character? Make it the Mickey of the internet age.

edit: "Mickey of the internet age" sounds funny, if you know Irish slang.
    It's called Homestar Runner.

Also, if our Mickey cartoon is even halfway decent we can get a shitload of attention, and the point we have to make will be heard loud and clear. It has the potential to devastate the entertainment world if we can get lots of followers. It will be the start of doujin culture in the US, and it won't be able to be stopped. Look at what Star Wars fans do because Lucas lets them.

If we make something original, that would be nice, but it will be much more difficult.

Also, I like Mickey Mouse.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Where are the Geeknights tshirts?
  • Where are the Geeknights tshirts?
    They exist, I have one.
  • I made them. They do exist.

I'm also designing a couple more geeknights and non-geeknights shirts for sale on the site.
  • Scott likes making grand plans, but then I thought about Scott's previous accomplishments and, to quote H. G. Wells, "I had my first inkling of the gulf between his dreams and his powers."
  • You know what would really suck though? If we made a really nice cartoon and then disney sued our asses for a lot of money and we couldn't show the cartoon anywhere, except as this underground thing. I appreciate the idea of it, but I really don't want to go mano-a-mano with the mouse and their fancy big city lawyers.
  • You know what would really suck though? If we made a really nice cartoon and then disney sued our asses for a lot of money and we couldn't show the cartoon anywhere, except as this underground thing. I appreciate the idea of it, but I really don't want to go mano-a-mano with the mouse and their fancy big city lawyers.
    You don't go mano-a-mano. You just splash it out on the Internets and the bittorrents. If it's good, then people will keep reposting it to YouTube and other places. People will even make bootleg DVDs and sell them. They will never be able to prove who made it in court, so they can't sue you. However, with a wink and a nod, everyone will know you did it anyway.
  • Until they bust into your house, raid your computer and find the original components.
    Ways to avert this: Distribute all originals + Encrypt that sucka!
  • Until they bust into your house, raid your computer and find the original components.
    Ways to avert this: Distribute all originals + Encrypt that sucka!
    That is something the Digital Pirates of Dark Water found the hard way :D
  • Do people still love Mickey Mouse that much?
  • Do people still love Mickey Mouse that much?
    I do. At least I like him a lot more than the newer Disney shit.
  • edited March 2009
    Pokemon Adventures is great.

Seriously, it has a Chameleon eviscerating a Arbok in half. Something has defenly gone wrong in the happy-go-lucky world of Nintendo...

That seriously needed to be the anime of pokemon. It could of been like Digimon and we could of been more awesome for it.

Somehow, I feel I can blame Evangelion for this...
    Post edited by Conan-San on