This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best places to get manga/anime for cheap

edited April 2008 in Anime
All I know of is rightstuf.com, and animecastle.com, which I went to when they opened their new store in Queens. Anywhere else where it's even cheaper than on that site?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Discountanimedvd.com has the best prices, but you have to be very careful about what you buy because some of the stuff are bootlegs. Don't buy it if it seems *too* cheap to be possible or says "import" or something like that. But what is legit is cheaper than what you'll find anywhere else. They also ship very very fast.

Also Deep Discount has some anime.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2008
    I use Amazon and Righstuf only. Between the two of them, I can almost always find what I'm looking for, and it's almost always at a good price.

Scott- do you know of any sites like the one you use to get comics that are 100% manga-oriented? I realize the one you use has a dark horse section, which includes some manga...but I'm just wondering if there's any 100% manga ones out there.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Scott- do you know of any sites like the one you use to get comics that are 100% manga-oriented? I realize the one you use has a dark horse section, which includes some manga...but I'm just wondering if there's any 100% manga ones out there.
    Any manga that is distributed by Diamond can be gotten through DCBS. That is pretty much everything from every US manga publisher.
  • Scott- do you know of any sites like the one you use to get comics that are 100% manga-oriented? I realize the one you use has a dark horse section, which includes some manga...but I'm just wondering if there's any 100% manga ones out there.
    Any manga that is distributed by Diamond can be gotten through DCBS. That is pretty much everything from every US manga publisher.
    Shit...I didn't realize that.

Oh well, there goes the rest of my stashed money.
  • I'm much more of a manga reader. My first - and only - anime purchace was Big O. I want to buy Big O 2. I remember seeing it a while ago in FYE, but I saw two copies with two different covers and wondered if there are 2 Big O 2's. Are there?
  • I'm much more of a manga reader. My first - and only - anime purchace was Big O. I want to buy Big O 2. I remember seeing it a while ago in FYE, but I saw two copies with two different covers and wondered if there are 2 Big O 2's. Are there?
    Go buy Cowboy Bebop Remix, off of amazon. Best quality anime for lowest price ever.
  • I'm not an action/adventure manga person. I'm more on the cutsey shojo anime/manga (maybe something dark thrown in, especially if they decide to make a Godchild anime...) In fact, a lot of my manga is from Yuu Watase - I have Absolute Boyfriend, Alice 19th, Ceres: Celestial Legend, and Fushigi Yugi.
  • edited April 2008
    If you're into cutesy shojo, why did you buy the Big O?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • If you're into cutesy shojo, why did you buy the Big O?
    Someone can't like more than one genre?
  • If you're into cutesy shojo, why did you buy the Big O?
    Someone can't like more than one genre?
    No, but prior to that he/she also said they're not an action/adventure person.

Plus, shojo isn't really a genre. It's a demographic. It's just simply anime/manga for girls. There can be many genres within that.
  • Shojo is too a genre! Guys can read shojo just as girls can read shonen. If you're going to say shojo isn't a genre, you should then say that shonen isn't a genre, either since it's just the same thing, but towards guys.
  • edited November 2008
    you should then say that shonen isn't a genre, either
    It's not, it's also merely a demographic. I would say that 90% or more anime/manga fall into one of the 4 demographics (other 2 being senien, for older men, and josei, for older women. A few don't fall into any, and a few might fall into 2. )

To further back me up, check out Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouran_High_School_Host_Club
    Note how genre is romantic comedy and demographic is shojo.
    And for most anime and manga on Wikipedia, there is a specific section for the demographic.

And to further back up my point that shojo (and shonen, seinen, and josei) is merely a demographic, take Cardcaptor Sakura for example. It's a shojo anime/manga, but it's genre is fantasy/magical girl.
    Then you have Fruits basket. It's also a shojo, but the genre is mostly romance.
    Same demographic, different genres.

Though, that also doesn't mean that every anime/manga has a demographic. Cowboy Bebop and Eva are shows that I wouldn't exactly associate a demographic with.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Ok, so it looks like The Right Stuff is having a super Bargain Bin Blow out. I think that the best thing here are the Master Keaton DVDs each is $6.
    Is a shame I need to save money.
  • I get them the cheapest way legally possible... borrowing. ^_~
  • So 50% off in all anime in selected Best Buys stores.
  • Ugh, too bad that sale's almost over. I'm sure everything good that BB had (which wasn't that much to begin with, they just had the big name shit) is gone by now.
  • Ugh, too bad that sale's almost over. I'm sure everything good that BB had (which wasn't that much to begin with, they just had the big name shit) is gone by now.
    To tell you the truth I only got Seire No Moribito for myself.