This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is it ok to "Text" in sick to work?

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I've had a few coworkers do this at my job and I've heard about it being done from other offices. I still don't know if it's ok to just text in sick from work. I don't do it. I always call in as soon as I decide that I can't make it. Does anyone on the forums do this? Personally I don't think it's right, but I can't really say it should be banned.

Comments

• I say do whatever your company asks you to do.

If I were a manager, for example, an email would suffice in most cases.
  • edited March 2009
    I've had a few coworkers do this at my job and I've heard about it being done from other offices. I still don't know if it's ok to just text in sick from work. I don't do it. I always call in as soon as I decide that I can't make it. Does anyone on the forums do this? Personally I don't think it's right, but I can't really say it should be banned.
    I've had a coworker do that before, either texting in sick or late.

It's very rare that I'm sick enough to warrant not showing up, so when I am, I call, just so that people are aware of how sick I am.

I have a few co-workers who e-mail in sick. To me, texting and e-mailing are pretty much the same in that regard. As long as you communicate your intentions within company guidelines, I say it's fine.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I see nothing wrong with texting in, or e-mailing, that you are sick. In fact, such sounds beneficial in cases where you've lost your voice, have a very sore throat, or anything similar making calling in the most unpleasant option of informing your boss that you won't appear that day.
  • There seems to be prejudice, or a perception of prejudice, against various communications mediums. I know that the medium is the message, but really? Sure, a phone call is more impersonal than face to face, and is more impersonal than text. But if all you are doing is trying to communicate a piece of information to someone, what does it matter if it is by IM, text, e-mail, phone, webcam, or what have you? As long as the message gets through on time, what difference does it really make?

I mean, if a boss really wants to hear if you are good at acting sick over the phone, that's silly. If you are taking too many sick days, and they suspect you of faking, they could just ask for a doctor's note.
  • edited March 2009
    People don't always go to the doctor when they're sick, Scott. Why waste $25 (IF you have insurance) just to get a note when you already know you have a cold and they can't do anything about it?

I think texting is fine if it's allowed by your company...I mean, a phone call doesn't have a tangible log, whereas a text message often does. It's much like email in that respect. I'd even go so far as to say texting might be better if you need documentation that yes, you did indeed notify the office of your sick day.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • People don't always go to the doctor when they're sick, Scott. Why waste $25 (IF you have insurance) just to get a note when you already know you have a cold and they can't do anything about it?

I think texting is fine if it's allowed by your company...I mean, a phone call doesn't have a tangible log, whereas a text message often does. It's much like email in that respect. I'd even go so far as to say texting might be better if you need documentation that yes, you did indeed notify the office of your sick day.
    Well, obviously if you're sick that often you will visit the doctor. And if the employee does not think it necessary, you could ask them for a note the next time they are sick.
  • I completely disagree with texting/emailing in sick to work. It happens all the time with my staff and it is really annoying. The problem that I have with it is that i have often received text messages from my staff letting me know that they are sick and won't be coming in, but it has been on days that I myself are either sick or have a day off. So now we have a situation where staff think they have informed work that they are sick, but nobody actually at work that day knows this.
  • I completely disagree with texting/emailing in sick to work. It happens all the time with my staff and it is really annoying. The problem that I have with it is that i have often received text messages from my staff letting me know that they are sick and won't be coming in, but it has been on days that I myself are either sick or have a day off. So now we have a situation where staff think they have informed work that they are sick, but nobody actually at work that day knows this.
    Maybe have a central email address? Or reply saying "I'm not at the office today, tell "? Or tell people to text multiple people in case they're not coming in.
    That's a failure of the work to have a proper communications system. There should be a number that employees can txt that is directly connected to the HR system and will subtract the sick days, and notify appropriate parties by e-mail/phone message automatically.
  • edited March 2009
    The law firm I work for requires us to call in as the person you text/e-mail may not be at work or near their computer at that time. If you call, someone will pick up and make sure that everyone is notified. E-mailing into work is discouraged as some outside e-mail addresses are blocked by our office e-mail.

This works out for me as I have unlimited minutes for calling and I do not want to pay for a text.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Just do anything that will be seen by your employer. I do not have my boss' cell phone number (plus I know that even if I did, he never carries it around with him.) So I personally wouldn't text him, since he won't receive or check the message. I call out, because that method of communication has the best chance of being received.
  • You know, I like to call in, because if I am sick with a cold, then I sound pathetic and my boss feels sorry for me and tells me not to come in.
    I also email.
  • I don't have a choice at my job. I have to make two phone calls to call in sick: one to work-force management, and a second one to my supervisor. If she isn't at her desk, I have to call her home/cell phone and actually speak with her. It seems silly, but the problem is that I work in a small department, and we have to have a certain number of people on the phone at all times. If one of us calls in, it can cause a lot of trouble for the whole department, and make more work for the rest of the team. Making sure that I actually speak to my manager allows her to call other people who have the day off and ask them if they can fill in.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to convey the information via text message; I don't see why it would be a problem. I wouldn't want to chance it though, as I'd probably get in trouble.