This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I finally got fired for reals! Such a relief. Never have to work on that shitty code again.

Now I will make my move. I will apply for jobs, but also work on things all day. This is my real chance at self employment. I have learned the lesson of time squandered in the past. I will not make that mistake again.

Comments

• Congratulations, Scott. I hope whatever happens next works out well for you.
  • Good luck with your projects and everything else!
  • That's a hell of a good attitude. Best of luck, Scott -- can't wait to see some awesome stuff from you.
  • Dude, if you need info on starting your own business, I'm going through the process right now. Learning all kinds of new acronyms and registries that I never knew existed...hit me up if you wanna talk about it.
  • Keeps us updated on the awesome things you manage to create before landing a new job.
  • Fired or laid off/downsized? As in, did you fuck up, or is your company just tanking?

Here's hoping you're successful in starting your own business.
  • edited March 2009
    I thought your job needed like two of you? how are they going to survive with zero :-p

I bet they were monitoring your use of internet and realized how much time at work you spend trolling forums...

Curious because if your fired you can't get unemployment (depending on the state), if your laid off you get unemployment.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I thought your job needed like two of you? how are they going to survive with zero :-p
    Probably not planning on doing so in the long term.
  • You know I shouldn't celebrate this, but...I'm going to celebrate this.
    Because you hated that job and you could do so much better.
  • All I have to say is: Godspeed good sir.
  • So are you planning to file for unemployment, or can you?

Anyways, make most of the free time you have and good luck on finding a new and better job!
  • This should be interesting...
  • Scott, I wish you good luck in your new journey.
  • Well, I'm not eligible for unemployment. If I am self-employed, which I will be starting tomorrow, I can't collect even if my self-employment doesn't make any money.

That's really the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The government will give free money to people with no jobs who sit on their ass, but won't give free money to people who are actually trying to make something of themselves.
  • The government will give free money to people with no jobs who sit on their ass, but won't give free money to people who are actually trying to make something of themselves.
    Yep.

Congrats on self-employment! I hope I'm hired as of today, still waiting to hear back from the company I interviewed with.
  • How do they prove you are self-employed?
  • How do they prove you are self-employed?
    Proof of income without employer?
  • I thought the government classifies you as employed as soon as you start paying the IRS.
  • Well you've got an established brand. You should at least consider capitalizing on the Geeknights. I know you and Rym have stated you would never make money from Geeknights. Never say Never, though. ;)
  • I think this calls for a yell of ganbatte! GANBATTE~!

It's good to hear that you're so determined too! All luck!
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I'm not eligible for unemployment. If I am self-employed, which I will be starting tomorrow, I can't collect even if my self-employment doesn't make any money.
    So you were "fired" or are you considered having been "let go" or "laid off"
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Fired, Laid off, Quit. What does it matter they all amount to the same thing. No more job.
  • Fired, Laid off, Quit. What does it matter they all amount to the same thing. No more job.
    It does matter because there's a big difference to Scott being fired due to laziness/shit work and Scott being laid off due to the economy and his company going down the shitter.
    The end result is the same, but the causes are much different.
  • It does matter because there's a big difference to Scott being fired due to laziness/shit work and Scott being laid off due to the economy and his company going down the shitter.
    The end result is the same, but the causes are much different.
    It also affects whether you are eligible for unemployment or not.
  • It also affects whether you are eligible for unemployment or not.
    That's the part that matters.
  • Given prior statements regarding his approach to work, I think it would be an important lesson to tell people if he was fired. Hopefully he wasn't.

I wish you the best of luck. I can see this being a good thing in the long run.
  • It also affects whether you are eligible for unemployment or not.
    That's the part that matters.
    Generally, a person will be eligible for unemployment unless they were fired for misconduct.

I know you want to think of yourself as self-employed as of tomorrow. That's outstanding, but here's some questions: Is anyone going to pay you tomorrow? Can you count on receiving a paycheck on Friday? If the answer is no, then you should apply for unemployment.

Failing to apply for unemployment is be like failing to pick up a hundred dollar bill you see in the street. This is money you can get simply by applying for it. You should do it. If you don't, you're just throwing away money.
  • It honestly doesn't matter. But that's from my personal experience. I've quit and gotten fired. Neither made it harder or easier to find another job. Unemployment here at least in Texas is a bitch to claim either way.
  • Generally, a person will be eligible for unemployment unless they were fired for misconduct.
    Does showing up late and leaving early count as misconduct?
  • While it sucks to be let go, I'm sure you'll make some awesome self-employment lemonade from this imploding economy lemon.