This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

External hard drive help

edited March 2009 in Technology
I've been having a problem with my external hard drive lately:

After getting a blue-screen whenever I attached it to my computer I reinstalled windows, and it happened again.I restarted the system one more time and the blue-screen stopped occurring when I attached the drive. Sadly my computer now recognizes that I've attached an external HDD, but it doesn't get mounted.

Specs: NTFS-Drive, Windows 7

BTW It works fine under Linux.

Comments

• There's nothing wrong with your drive. You are using Windows 7. It's beta. It has bugs. This is what you get for using beta stuff. You dug your own hole, and now you're laying in it.
  • Try reinstalling the drivers for the HDD.
  • There's nothing wrong with your drive. You are using Windows 7. It's beta. It has bugs. This is what you get for using beta stuff. You dug your own hole, and now you're laying in it.
    He wanted help, Scott.
  • edited March 2009
    He wanted help, Scott.
    I'm helping him by teaching a valuable lesson. Beta stuff is unsupported. For the uninitiated, when something is unsupported, that means don't ask for help, you won't get it. The answer is, if you want something to work, use something stable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The answer is, if you want something to work, use something stable.
    Window 7 seems pretty stable to me. It's my main operating system and seems more stable than my Vista partition.
  • Window 7 seems pretty stable to me. It's my main operating system and seems more stable than my Vista partition.
    My Vista partition is 100% stable. If your Vista isn't more stable than a beta OS then either you have a hardware problem, or you installed a bunch of crappy software or perhaps malware.
  • Window 7 seems pretty stable to me. It's my main operating system and seems more stable than my Vista partition.
    My Vista partition is 100% stable. If your Vista isn't more stable than a beta OS then either you have a hardware problem, or you installed a bunch of crappy software or perhaps malware.
    I don't think I have any malware, It's probably just because I have a few weird programs installed. Also my Vista is a year old and 32-bit while Windows 7 is 64 bit and is a fairly new install. All I was trying to say is that I haven't really had any problems with Windows 7 and it seems pretty stable.
  • Windows 7 is 64 bit
    Only if you have a 64 bit processor. And that wouldn't effect stability in all likelyhood.
  • Format the drive to ext4 and run Linux.
    FreeBSD is also nice :)
  • The point is, that if you use something that is beta, testing, pre-release, etc. you have to assume it is broken. Therefore, if it doesn't work, the tough shit rule comes into play, especially with closed source software. If it were open source, at least you could file a bug report, or maybe write a fix yourself. With closed source, the only solution is to wait for them to fix it.
  • Windows 7 is 64 bit
    Only if you have a 64 bit processor. And that wouldn't effect stability in all likelyhood.
    I do have and 64-bit processor and the 64-bit Windows 7. It might affect the stability a little bit. It is capable of using the processor more fully. It probably is less likely for a program to stop responding or something .........maybe, I'm no expert.
  • I do have and 64-bit processor and the 64-bit Windows 7. It might affect the stability a little bit. It is capable of using the processor more fully. It probably is less likely for a program to stop responding or something
    Absolutely not.
    .........maybe, I'm no expert.
    Clearly, which is why you shouldn't be using a pre-release operating system. You know the primary reason they release these betas is so that developers can make sure that their software works. It's assumed that all sorts of things are going to be broken. If you are unprepared to deal with that, or not expert enough to fix the problems yourself, you shouldn't be using it.

It's not for you.
  • Although I'm sure FreeBSD is very nice, do you think we could somehow develop a work around for this problem that doesn't involve reinstalling the OS?
  • The point is, that if you use something that is beta, testing, pre-release, etc. you have to assume it is broken. Therefore, if it doesn't work, the tough shit rule comes into play, especially with closed source software. If it were open source, at least you could file a bug report, or maybe write a fix yourself. With closed source, the only solution is to wait for them to fix it.
    That's why I still have Vista and Ubuntu on my other hard drive.
  • I'm just going to reinstall windows.
  • If you are unprepared to deal with that, or not expert enough to fix the problems yourself, you shouldn't be using it.
    I'm expert enough to fix most problems that arise, I'm just not an expert as in, someone who has a job in the PC industry. I'm still in high school, I'm not exactly an IT professional yet.
    I'm just going to reinstall windows.
    Like I said before, try reinstalling the drivers. They are the culprit in many cases.