This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miyazaki

Comments

• The cat returns was a manga, you realize.

It was by the same lady who wrote the manga for whisper of the heart. That's why the baron had a cameo in Whisper.
  • The cat returns was a manga, you realize.

It was by the same lady who wrote the manga for whisper of the heart. That's why the baron had a cameo in Whisper.
    I'm sure that there is a Calcifer doujin out there somewhere.
  • The moving castle itself is cool. Calcifer is the super awesome. The rest of the movie was meh. They should just make Calcifer, the movie the same way they made The Cat Returns.
    We all know how that turns out Scott. Too much of a good thing is often a very bad thing and it has been proven time after time, especially with anime and movies.
  • Well Ponyo on a Cliff's English release is only days away. I know there has been a lot of controversy amongst anime fans due to the casting choices -coughfrankiejonas-, but I'm willing to give it a shot because it's Miyazaki and because I want to support more anime being released in mainstream theaters by buying a ticket or two.
  • Happily, the theaters we frequent almost always show the subbed versions of anime movies. ^_^
  • Happily, the theaters we frequent almost always show the subbed versions of anime movies. ^_^
    -shakes fist- You're lucky you live in the city to have that luxury! But I still stand by my decision, I'll give it a chance.
  • I wanted to see this dubbed. Miyazaki has an excellent track record of getting good voice talent. Though I am skeptical about the Jonas and Cyrus siblings. I hope Disney doesn't take Ponyo's predictable success as a reason to start filling Anime with their overhyped, crappy pre-teen idols.
  • Either way, I'm excited for Ponyo, and I also found some full-color, mini Ponyo mangas at Books A Million that I want.
  • I will be viewing Ponyo in Alaska.
    Oooh, that will make it even more authentic given the lush surroundings in the movie.
    Please tell us if you can see Russia from the movie theatre.
    Please tell us if you can see Russia from the movie theatre.
    Whoa, you're going to Sarah Palin's house?
  • Technically, yeah. I'm going to Anchorage for a week.
  • If all goes well, I may just have the chance to see it in a drive-in theater (in addition to a normal showing).
  • The Ponyo/baby stare-down was the best part of the movie.
  • The driving scenes (especially the ones racing the storm) were fantastic as well.
  • edited August 2009
    Lisa was the best part of the movie; she's the most badass mom in the world. I wish it had been about her instead of the slightly generic Miyazaki plot with too many pointless scenes of "LOOK HOW DAMN CUTE THESE KIDS ARE".

It's still a very entertaining and well-animated movie, though. I'd watch it again.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That mom should have been arrested for child endangerment.
  • edited August 2009
    That mom should have been arrested for child endangerment.
    Along with former-drag-queen Liam Neeson and his hundred-foot-tall watery tart of a wife for eco-terrorism.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Need to get a bunch of friends together and watch the DVD rip. Waiting for 2010 does not sound like fun.
  • The part when she ran on the waves going to Sosuke was amazing. The backgrounds that looked like colored pencils was fitting. Ponyo is the ultimate kids movie.
  • The part when she ran on the waves going to Sosuke was amazing. The backgrounds that looked like colored pencils was fitting. Ponyo is the ultimate kids movie.
    Agreed. I think this was my favorite part of the movie.
    When I saw that part of the movie, I couldn't help but think how she's also endangering the mom and Sosuke.
  • When I saw that part of the movie, I couldn't help but think how she's also endangering the mom and Sosuke.
    The movie is so wonderfully over the top that I got over all of the child-endangerment and Liam Neeson pedophile vibes pretty quickly.
    When I saw that part of the movie, I couldn't help but think how she's also endangering the mom and Sosuke.
    That's part of the point. She doesn't understand that it's dangerous. She's unfamiliar with the human world.
  • I enjoyed Ponyo, particularly the mom's ludicrous, Lupin-esque driving. The movie was one gigantic sac of adorable and I would happily watch it again in the future. I thought the plot was definitely geared towards a younger audience and the entire film had a more cartoony feel, but it was well done.

My favorite scenes were Ponyo running along the fish/waves, and "BUG OFF".
  • The style of the film was great. It was definately a pick-me-up after seeing District 9.
  • I enjoyed Ponyo, particularly the mom's ludicrous, Lupin-esque driving.
    When I saw her driving, I had Eurobeat playing in my head.
  • I enjoyed Ponyo, particularly the mom's ludicrous, Lupin-esque driving.
    When I saw her driving, I had Eurobeat playing in my head.
    AMV time.
  • AMV time.
    I would if I had any video editing skills at all.