This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starcraft 2

edited April 2009 in Video Games
I have played StarCraft for about 3 years now (on and off). I have been looking forward to the sequel for a while now and it will be coming out in December! I'm so excited! Is anyone else looking forward to this game? Also, does anyone still play Starcraft? If you do, you should post you Battle.Net account here...

Comments

• If anyone wants to start a little-league for SC2 players who haven't been playing it for years I'll give it a try.
  • If anyone wants to start a little-league for SC2 players who haven't been playing it for years I'll give it a try.
    I've never played Starcraft I but I've always wanted too. Maybe I could play Starcraft II instead.
  • OH my.. don't tempt me with this... I love me some starcraft, I haven't played in years, but I'll wait till 2 comes out before picking up the habit again.
  • Starcraft 2 will never be released.
    Wow, really? This kind of hyperbole is really annoying.
    Wow, really? This kind of hyperbole is really annoying.
    Dude, chill. Saying that Starcraft 2 will never come out is practically a meme.

Also, Methos, remember to use the search function.
  • Starcraft 2 is coming out, Sail. Blizzard said that the estimated release date is December 3, 2009.
    That would be great! We can make our own channel on Battle.Net and have bots that would moderate it and keep it running 24/7. We can have our own matches within the channel and everyone can add each others b.net name as well.
  • edited April 2009
    Ah, Methos, you're new here, I take it.
    Use the edit button to change a post (find it in the top right of your post) and you can find a search page by going to the link "Search" just under the big "Front Row Crew Forum" at the top of any page.

Nice to see you picked up on the spelling and punctuation thing though. Welcome to the forum.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thanks, man. And yes I am new to the forum, although I have been listening to three of the Geeknights Podcasts for nearly two years now. It's a lot better than most other forums that I've registered on.
  • I'd play in an FRC Channel, provided the more seasoned players among us don't spend hours stuffing zergling rushes and carrier fleets down my throat. We'd have to organize matches by skill.
  • I am almost completely indifferent to this game. I played Starcraft and enjoyed it, but I never picked it up ever again after I beat the story mode.
  • I'd play in an FRC Channel, provided the more seasoned players among us don't spend hours stuffing zergling rushes and carrier fleets down my throat. We'd have to organize matches by skill.
    Good point, we would have to set up the skill ranges somehow and make sure that seasoned players play against other seasoned players and the newbies play against the other newbies...
  • I'm willing to give it a try.
  • I might get Starcraft 2 at some point after it comes out. I have played some amount of first one and enjoyed it somewhat. Funny thing is that I was a lot more interested of this game before Blizzard announced that they are going to do three games instead of one. That killed my interested for that game almost completely, but maybe I'll still get my hands on it.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Starcraft 2 regardless of how much I end up playing it long-run, simply because of the nostalgia associated with the remaking of a game I played throughout my childhood. I'm definitely willing to give the game a try with FRC people; I was never hardcore into the game, which is what it seems like the trend here is, and so I think we could get some good games going on.
  • The one game I might be willing to buy.
  • Wait...

Star..Craft? Like, crafting stars? I don't want to play some kind of space-based resource management sim, thanks.
  • Korea killed SC multiplayer for me. :\
  • I might get Starcraft 2 at some point after it comes out. I have played some amount of first one and enjoyed it somewhat. Funny thing is that I was a lot more interested of this game before Blizzard announced that they are going to do three games instead of one. That killed my interested for that game almost completely, but maybe I'll still get my hands on it.
    They are going to spread out the trilogy over a period of three years. It's a good thing! This means that the life of StarCraft 2 will last even longer. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. So what if you're going to be paying close to $180 over a period of three years. People pay more for WoW, so why not for StarCraft?
  • They are going to spread out the trilogy over a period of three years. It's a good thing! This means that the life of StarCraft 2 will last even longer. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. So what if you're going to be paying close to $180 over a period of three years. People pay more for WoW, so why not for StarCraft?
    You should see it more as three games. Each contains a lengthy single player campaign that will justify it's price. I also heard it won't be a full 60 dollar game from launch, but I can't conform that Besides, you only need to buy one copy to play online (with all the factions/races).
  • edited April 2009
    They are going to spread out the trilogy over a period of three years. It's a good thing! This means that the life of StarCraft 2 will last even longer. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.
    That's all marketing-speak for "We're going to sell you this game THREE TIMES! And you're going to buy every single one!" Really, the problem people have with this is that it's a completely lame, selfish move that Blizzard is trying to justify with lots of hype and smoothtalking. Starcraft had 3 lengthy campaigns, and then Blizzard added 3 more lengthy campaigns the next year.
    So what if you're going to be paying close to $180 over a period of three years. People pay more for WoW, so why not for StarCraft?
    People pay for WoW because it's a subscription based game, and Blizzard charges a subscription fee for stuff like patch development, server space/uptime/maintenance, grind tax, Blizzcon, etc. Justifying close to $200 for half the content offered by the previous games is ridiculous, especially for a single-player, non-subscription based game.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • I think someone missed the sarcasm...
  • Does anybody know the story behind why StarCraft became such a huge phenomenon in Korea? Do you think StarCraft II will have the same impact in Korea as the first?
  • I probably won't even buy the other two games anyway. I just want to be able to be involved in the competitive multiplayer. I never really get into RTS Single player stuff. Sure, I've beaten the original Starcraft/Brood War campaigns quite a few times, but multiplayer is what the game lasts for...
  • I remember when Starcraft 2 was announced. I was terribly excited and harping about how I'd buy a new computer just to play it (the current one is 5ish+ years old at this point...). I kept up with every piece and bit of a news the first few weeks.

Now, I only see the Battle Report videos when they're put right in front of me on YouTube and I only glance at the new news in large chunks randomly.

I doubt I'll be buying a new computer to play it, rather it'll be out of necessity. I'm not even entirely sure I'll buy it at all, I haven't played an actual game on the computer that required installation/software in years.

I am still enamored by the idea of a new Starcraft game, considering the good, nostalgic memories I have of the first... But, I'd rather watch video of someone playing than actually play myself 9 times out of 10.
  • edited June 2009
    In a dick move by Blizzard, it seems that Starcraft 2 probably won't have LAN support.
    As far as the networking is concerned, I guess it shouldn't make much difference, since one would expect games of Starcraft 2 to be peer-to-peer networked.
    However, you'll probably have to connect to the Internet to be able to play multiplayer.
    Your thoughts, people?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The more and more I hear about Starcraft II, the more and more I begin to dislike Blizzard and Starcraft II. Before I even heard anything about it, it would have to have been amazingly awesome for me to consider it worth playing. However, with the whole 3 disks thing and lack of LAN, Blizzard better pull off a miracle for me to even consider buying it. What happened to the Blizzard I knew, the one that took care of their customers and treated them well, never putting out a game unless it was of a high caliber?

But then, after playing Men of War, I doubt anything can satiate my standards for RTS.
  • Starcraft 2 probably won't have LAN support
    Unfortunately 90% of the hours I've logged in Blizzard games is over the LAN. I love the experience of the LAN. While technically we could still probably all get into my basement and log into battle.net together, I think it'll cause more issues than it'll solve. I understand the requirement for 'consistent gameplay' but it seems to be more obviously due to pirates. Do you think this is due to the Activision merger? Think there will be a hack to allow for LAN? How many people are like me and only play the game on LANs? I never even played Warcraft 3 all the way through on single player but play the shit out of that game to this day.

Are there other RTS games like this? Is this a new trend?
  • RymRym
    edited July 2009
    How many people are like me and only play the game on LANs?
    As far as I can tell, the vast majority of PC gamers have no interest in LAN play. They play primarily with geographically distant friends.

Furthermore, technology-wise, the distinction is basically meaningless. There is absolutely no reason to support LAN play separately from simple network play. You're conflating piracy-prevention mechanisms with connectivity modes. The only reason to use "LAN" mode would be to avoid having to contact their authentication server. They could trivially make some sort of "no-auth/local play" mode independent of the networking, but it's not actually a related issue anymore. The relevant network issues really only involve NAT-busting.

Complain about the DRM, but don't complain about the lack of a meaningless and archaic "feature."
    Post edited by Rym on